1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

cat advice, please

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by I am a Donut, Oct 29, 2005.

Tags:
  1. I am a Donut

I am a Donut Contributing Member

I heard mewing all afternoon yesterday and I finally went down to see what was up. A grey boy cat a little less than 1yr old was howling under the bushes. Surprisingly it came to me pretty quick and gave me the friendly rubs. It is much to skinny. My feeling is someone in the apts. moved and left the damn cat to fend for itself. So I fed it yesterday and today.

I have four cats up in the apt. already, and I really cant take care of this one. Back when we had a house we fed the neighborhood cats and let them hang around in the yard. Im not sure if thats a good idea here in an apt. complex. Besides not being safe, I think the cat is lonely and unhappy. And according to my mom, there's a calico who heard we've got grub and came around this morning. If you've had cats, you know how this can get messy.

What are the options as far as taking this cat somewhere. Ive heard of SPCA and "no kill" shelters, but dont know anything about either. Are there other options?

What's best for the cat? Anyone with this experiance?

Thanks much,
    Donut

p.s. if you might want him, he's a gray/white tuxedo, very sweet, a little nervous and noisy, still smallish (I reckon 9-12 months old). Pretty goofy little cat.

2. droxford

droxford Member

Does anybody here think I should give my opnion on what to do about stray cats? :D

3. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

#3 RunninRaven, Oct 30, 2005
    Last edited: Oct 30, 2005
  4. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

I would try local vets. Some of them usually have a pet or two for adoption. Then the people who work with Petsmart/Petco who always have adoptions on Saturdays. That's about all I can think of for now...I constantly have the exact same problem.

5. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Here's a list of local shelters. Some are listed as no-kill and some probably are but aren't listed.

Also, http://www.countrypawsrescue.org/ is no-kill as are the following:

• Adopt A Cat, 281-580-6652, adoptacathouston.org
    • Cat's Haven, 281-858-1916
    • Feral Cat Connection, 832-455-4202/713-914-0642

That should give you a start finding somewhere. If the cat comes up to you it is either lost, was ditched by someone evil, or is young enough to be adopted. If feed it it will be back but if you could do this for a couple of days could enable you to get it to a shelter.

The problem is that the shelters that are no-kill usually have a waiting list. In the end if the choice is either take it to the SPCA, or (if you are sure it's not just lost or one of the neighbor's) send it to fend for itself; you would probably be kind to give it a chance at the SPCA even if death is a possibility. The life of a stray on the street is genuinely horrible.

I have a feral stray that was 5 years old rescued her. She had 3 teeth that were essentially rotted out and had to be removed, and her tongue was covered in ulcers from anemia and her rear legs were no wider than my pinky. It was like she'd been in Auschwitz.

If you find a cat that is able to take care of itself, the better option is spay/neuter and release, but this doesn't sound like one of those.

[edit]
    If it's been mewing it's been around people or is not old enough to be seperated from it's mother. This really sounds like a cat that wouldn't do well on it's own. Wild adult cat's don't make meow sounds. They just hiss/spit/growl.

6. I am a Donut

I am a Donut Contributing Member

I went down to feed him today and found the calico there in his stead. Kinda pisses me off b/c the calico apparently is taken care of. However she looks to be pregnant. I really appreciate the information Ottomaton and JayZ750. Im going to call some places tommorrow and try and him taken care of.

7. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

Cats only HISS at each other, never meow. They only meow at people. You have ghosts around your apartment. Good luck. Ghostbusters.