1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. HOUSTON ROCKETS STREAM
    We're watching the Ime Udoka and Rafael Stone press conference now, reacting to their comments

Ime Udoka and Rafael Stone Press Conference
    Dismiss Notice

Castro the Astro!

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by bustanut82, Jan 3, 2012.

1. bustanut82

bustanut82 Member

Jason Castro the Astro! His last name has our team name. I hope that the 6-3 205lb left handed hitting catcher cASTRO is really the prized gem we thought he can be. The Astros took a stab drafting him 10th in the 2008 1st round from Stanford. Hopefully he can hit .270+, slug 10+ homeruns, and drive in 70+ runs for us this year. He can be our future catcher for the next 10 years!!!!

1 person likes this.
  2. xAliceInChains

3. MIAGI99

MIAGI99 Member

He could not beat out Humberto Quinterro last season??? Q is good defensively but brings close to nothing offensively. For having been a 10th pick if he's not ready now...:(

4. moonsh0t

moonsh0t Member

Not sure if serious?

5. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

Um, Castro got hurt either in spring training or very early in the season last year (can't remember which). The job was his.

6. Joshfast

Joshfast "We're all gonna die" - Billy Sole
    Supporting Member

Spring training

7. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

Is this real life?

8. TheChosenOne

TheChosenOne Contributing Member

You have to be ****ing kidding me.

9. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

I hope so he can be a gem too.

10. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

Neg Rep

We all hope he can come back healthy and do those things, but a new thread? Seriously?

11. msn

msn Member

lighten up, fellas.

The reason the sports fora were split apart is to accommodate more threads for each team, such as one like this discussing a particular player. If you think the whole "astro in his name" thing is a bit juvenile then fine, but the hopes of Castro contributing to the Astros' hopeful future success is certainly a legitimate thread topic.

Personally, my hopes aren't that high for Jason. Hope he surprises me. :cool:

Go Astros!

12. jdh008

jdh008 Member

I think Castro will be a pretty nice upgrade on the catchers the Astros have been running out there, but I'm with you on having somewhat lower expectations long term.

He was a good selection for what the Astros needed. At the time he was taken, the farm system needed a jump start in the worst way. The quickest way to do that is draft a college bat that you think can fast-track to the big leagues. Castro certainly fit that bill.

13. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/bHq12lIYJME" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

14. moonsh0t

moonsh0t Member

15. rpr52121

rpr52121 Sober Fan
    Supporting Member

16. OremLK

OremLK Member

I still think Castro will be a good player, provided we aren't seeing the beginning of an injury-prone pattern from him. His performance at the end of 2009 tells us almost nothing, and there were some promising signs in it anyway.

If he's healthy this year I can easily see him wresting the majority of the games at catcher away from Quintero. Of course, knowing Brad Mills, he'll literally never get to bat against a lefty...

17. moonsh0t

moonsh0t Member

I just think that being away from baseball for an entire year, he probably won't be back at full strength until July, maybe August? Especially playing Catcher. That will be brutal trying to recover from knee and foot injuries.

If I could play GM, I would just want him to show something by the end of the season this year. Then evaluate him in 2013 to figure out whether or not he fits into the ballclubs plans.

18. TheChosenOne

TheChosenOne Contributing Member

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/7QLSRMoKKS0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

19. couple of d's

couple of d's Member

Angels get Pujols, Astros get Castro. It really sucks being an Astro fan.

20. bustanut82

bustanut82 Member

our whole 2012 Astros squad is full of AAA ball players! This is so sad to watch us having to rebuild from scratch but at least they have a few youngsters in the minors coming up soon.