1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Casserly getting better with age

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Hottoddie, Apr 19, 2002.

1. Hottoddie

Hottoddie Contributing Member

This article is a good read on Casserly's drafting abilities. His drafts seem to be getting better as each one goes by. After reading this article, I have no doubt that he'll have a great draft this year. Go Texans! :)

http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/story.hts/sports/fb/nfl/1373658

Casserly balances draft highs, lows

GM known for being thorough

By RICHARD JUSTICE
    Copyright 2002 Houston Chronicle

Long before the Washington Redskins made him their general manager in 1989, Charley Casserly was highly regarded in NFL circles among the personnel men and scouts who scour the country looking for talent.

As an assistant to then-Redskins general manager Bobby Beathard in 1987, Casserly needed just a few days to put together a replacement team that went unbeaten during a labor dispute.

One of the victories came over a Dallas Cowboys team loaded with veterans and was such an improbable thing it became the inspiration for The Replacements, a movie starring Keanu Reeves.

As a scout, Casserly found a pair of free-agent offensive linemen -- Joe Jacoby and Jeff Bostic -- who helped the Redskins win three Super Bowls. He also found a guy named Nate Newton, who failed to make the Redskins his rookie season, but landed with the Cowboys and became an anchor on three Super Bowl winners.

In addition, Casserly brilliantly juggled the NFL's early, limited free-agent system -- it was called Plan B -- to overhaul an aging defense and help the Redskins win Super Bowl XXVI.

But his record was decidedly more mixed during 10 years as the man in charge of the Redskins.

During that time, he drafted a total of 82 players, ranging from future Pro Bowlers to guys who didn't make it out of training camp. His smartest moves came in the middle rounds when unheralded choices such as Brian Mitchell and Stephen Davis developed into stars. Conversely, his worst choices were in the first round as Desmond Howard, Heath Shuler and others didn't come close to performing as he had hoped.

As he prepares for his first draft as general manager of the Texans, Casserly offers a blunt assessment of many of his Washington choices. He doesn't brag about his best picks, nor does he hide from his worst ones. In the end, he points to the bottom line.

In his first three full seasons on the job, 1990-92, the Redskins made three straight playoff appearances and won at least one playoff game each season, including 1991-92 when they went 17-2 and won the Super Bowl.

Casserly was fired just before the start of the 1999 season. That year, the Redskins won the NFC East and defeated Detroit in the opening round of the playoffs with 13 of Casserly's draft choices in the starting lineup. Two other starters, Pro Bowl quarterback Brad Johnson and defensive tackle Dan Wilkinson, were acquired by Casserly for draft choices.

Before he was dismissed that year, he left the franchise with two extra 2000 draft choices, which owner/general manager Dan Snyder used on two future stars, offensive tackle Chris Samuels and linebacker LaVar Arrington.

"The draft is hit and miss," Casserly said. "We had our hits. We had our misses. You can't run from your mistakes. At the end, I thought we were doing a solid job. If you look at the playoff teams from that last season, you're not going to find a lot of them with that many draft choices, plus we traded draft choices to get two guys. That's how we ended up. We got better as we went along."

What Casserly surely believes but won't say is if he'd had a better head coach during his final seasons with the Redskins, his teams would have performed better.

When Hall of Famer Joe Gibbs retired after the 1992 season, defensive guru Richie Petitbon was promoted for one season. When the Redskins went 4-12, Petitbon was fired, and Dallas Cowboys offensive coordinator Norv Turner was hired as head coach.

Gibbs is among the people who lavish praise on Casserly's work ethic and judgment.

"Of all the people I've been around, as far as hard work and being dedicated and being thorough, he's the best," Gibbs said. "He works his rear off. I knew every guy we'd picked had been gone over as thoroughly as he could have been. The problem with the job they have, and really with picking people in any business, is that it's hard. You're going to miss on some. But Charley is tireless. He understands coaches, and he's a good partner."

Although Turner was the NFL's hottest head coaching candidate at the time of his hiring, he never made it as a head coach. Some of the franchise's worst draft choices were Casserly taking players Turner wanted.

Turner declined to be quoted for this article, but made it clear he has a different recollection of some of the draft-day decisions. In their five seasons together, the Redskins didn't make a single playoff appearance.

Their relationship worsened the longer they were together. Had Casserly had a say in the matter, he probably would have fired Turner. But because Turner had grown close to late Redskins owner Jack Kent Cooke, dismissing the coach wasn't an option.

One of Cooke's final moves before his death in 1997 was to award Turner and Casserly contract extensions, in effect, extending a bad marriage until Snyder arrived in 1999.

Snyder fired Casserly, but he eventually fired Turner, too. Later, he told Casserly that in 1999 he had "fired the wrong guy," according to sources.

Casserly's best Washington drafts came in his last years on the job. For instance, in 1997, seven of the eight players he chose are still in the NFL.

Likewise, all seven of his 1998 picks are still in the league, and his first two 1999 picks -- cornerback Champ Bailey and tackle Jon Jansen -- appear on their way to stardom.

Those drafts were significantly better than, say, the 1992 draft -- Gibbs was coaching the Redskins at the time -- in which he whiffed on all 11 picks. In 1993, he missed badly with two third-round picks.

"I think I learned something from all of those drafts," he said. "One thing I learned is that you've got to take the best player on the board and ignore your depth chart. You can't force something that's not there."

Casserly said it's important to note that some of his best deals came in trading choices for players, or vice versa.

At the end of training camp in 1990, he traded two draft choices to get a pair of starting defensive tackles, Eric Williams and Tim Johnson. Both made significant contributions on the the 1992 Super Bowl team.

He traded a 1996 first-rounder for defensive tackle Sean Gilbert, then sent Gilbert to Carolina for two No. 1s in 1998. He surrendered a 1998 No. 1 for Wilkinson.

Any assessment of his Washington years must begin with his three highest picks.

The Redskins were the defending Super Bowl champions and had two first-round picks in the 1992 draft. They discussed a dozen or so different players, but in the end, swapped both choices to get the fourth overall pick and use it on Howard, the Heisman Trophy winner from Michigan.

They believed they had trumped the NFL by sliding ahead of the Green Bay Packers, who also wanted Howard. They believed they were adding an explosive offensive player to an aging offensive team.

Gibbs pushed for Howard as much as Casserly, and with Pro Bowl quarterback Mark Rypien and wide receiver Gary Clark, the Redskins believed they had a chance to win a second straight Super Bowl. They couldn't have been more wrong. Howard did end up with a Super Bowl Most Valuable Player trophy, but only after the Redskins cut him, and the Packers made him a full-time return man.

"Hey, we were wrong," Casserly said. "We all saw him the same way. We thought he was going to be a great player. As a return man, he's one of the greatest in the history of the league. People tend to forget we made a trade to get him. We went over Green Bay. (Former Packers general manager) Ron Wolf and (former coach) Mike Holmgren had decided to take him. We beat them to get the guy. We blew that one."

The Redskins were in position for another big hit in 1994 when they had the third overall pick -- their highest ever -- and needed a quarterback. That year, there were two: Shuler and Trent Dilfer.

Casserly told reporters late in the 1993 season that he favored Dilfer, but when Casserly hired Turner, the new coach fell in love with Shuler.

Bad mistake.

Casserly went along with Turner, and while Dilfer has at least proved himself a solid performer, Shuler was a bust.

"I learned a lot on that one," Casserly said. "Basically, we let the head coach pick the quarterback. I thought Trent Dilfer was a late first-round pick, and we thought Heath was a project. We sent the coach in to evaluate him, and this was the guy he wanted. I think it was handled poorly the whole way through."

The Redskins missed again in 1995. That year, the Redskins wanted a wide receiver to go with their young quarterback. They had Ohio State wide receiver Joey Galloway rated the best at his position, but Turner favored Colorado's Michael Westbrook.

Westbrook has not been a bust, but thanks to injuries and a work ethic and attitude that sometimes frustrates his coaches, he hasn't come close to being the player the Redskins thought he would be.

"We shouldn't have taken him," Casserly said. "It's that simple. Every one of us, including myself, had rated Galloway ahead of Westbrook, including (Redskins wide receivers coach) Terry Robiskie. They were two different receivers. One guy could run (Galloway). The other guy had size (Westbrook). The thing is, Galloway had no off-the-field issues at all. He had a clean slate. Our unanimous decision was to take the clean slate, but the head coach wanted a big guy. The head coach said he went out there and interviewed him and felt there would be no issues."

Turner declined to comment on choosing Westbrook and Shuler, but in previous interviews pointed out that no one in the organization, including Casserly, attempted to talk him out of drafting either player.

The Redskins blew another first-round choice in 1996 when they used the 30th overall pick on Penn State tackle Andre Johnson. On draft day, the Redskins said he would be their starting left tackle from day one. By the time day one rolled around, they knew they had blown it.

"Bad deal," Casserly said. "I learned something on this one. We kept saying we had to get a left tackle. The year before, we'd played with Joe Patton at left tackle and had a winning record. He didn't give up a lot of sacks. We forced this guy (Johnson) up on the draft board. We fell victim to that. That's my fault. I should have been smarter. That's how we got (quarterback) Gus Frerotte and (running back) Stephen Davis (in the later rounds)."

A tireless researcher, Casserly believes he has learned more about the drafting process the longer he has worked.

"We eventually changed some things internally," he said, "and we started making much better decisions. I thought our last three or four years there, we were pretty solid. If you look at the last four years, we drafted a lot of good players. In the end, your job is to put a team on the field. The last team we put on the field went 10-6 and won a game in the playoffs. We learned some things going through it, and you can't run from your mistakes. I know that."

2. Dreamshake

Dreamshake Contributing Member

They didnt even mention the fact that Casserly was the man who orchestrated the 7 picks for one player deal with Ricky Williams. On top of all of it, the Redskins got the better player in Champ Bailey, and the player they wanted all along anyhow.

The big busts were not entirely his fault (Westbrook, and Shuler). Jack Kent Cooke allowed his new prized coach (Norv Turner) to have waaaaay to much say in the drafting decisions. The only real bad pick I see as Casserly's fault is Desmond Howard. But almost every GM in the league would of made that mistake. Andre Johnson was the 30th pick. Sometimes, those things happen.

Casserly is a great GM. All you Texan fans are lucky to have him.

3. Hottoddie

What I really like about him, is that his draft results got stronger each year. He's definitely become a student of the draft. Imagine the kind of talent this team will have with the number of picks we have this year & next year. :eek:

As for the 7 for 1 deal, Casserly admitted the other day that those deals are a once in every 10 or so years type of deal. Remember the Dallas trade of Herschel Walker?

4. NCSTATEFAN

NCSTATEFAN Member

I mean trading away the #11th overall, a 3rd rounder, and a future 2nd for a 32 year old QB was a brilliant move. Who needs a future All pro qb in Culpepper, or DE with Kearse, when you get get that lame duck arm qb brad johnson, who split after 2 seasons. What an excellent return on investment.

5. Dreamshake

That one trade caused the Redskins to make their only playoff appearance in the last decade. To this day, that move was worth it.

Cause playing people such as Heath Shuler, Gus Frerote, and so on was getting it done.

No one expected what Kearse would be like. He was almost considered a stretch going where he did.

And Culpepper was seen as a world beater QB either. Would we even be Touting Culpepper if he didnt have Moss, Carter and the offense that Minn. had? Wait to see what he does this year. With only Moss as a valid offensive weapon.

6. NCSTATEFAN

NCSTATEFAN Member

Well if thats the case, lets trade all potential all-stars lottery picks for players past their prime, just to win a few more games now. Im sure trading for Bledsoe could net us a few more wins over the next three years than Davie Carr.

Casserly sucks, and what the media will not tell you, I will. I have read thhis garble in the Houston Chronicle portraying CC as some draft genius. The best thing that ever happened to CC was actually the arrogance of DOM CAPERS, and not the stupidity of Ditka.

Carolina coming off a decent year would not accept CC's offer 15th overally DP and a 3rd for the tackle $ean Gilbert. Carolina's logic was, "this should put us over the hump, so we don't mind giving up two future since they both will be very low, and probably not have an immediate impact." How do I know this, I lived in NC during this time span. So Casserly begged and begged to get the 1998 DP, even tried to put of the 3rd rounder for the 1999 draft. Carolina refused, they waited until after the 1998 draft, then signed SG to a contract so ridicilous, I personally blame the downfall to that team to that signing. So the two future #1's were literally FORCED ONTO CC, not by his design, but by force!

The ignorance and arrogance of the Panthers, set up Washington for two high draft picks over the next two years.

The comes Ditka. Williams drops to #5, and like any compent GM should, he accepts the 1999 draft, and 2000 #1. HIS ONLY brilliant move was using Chicago to move back up to nab Bailey. I don't care how you guys try to justify it, the Brad Johnson signing was horrible, and attempt to patch a hole to help keep himself employed a few more years. For a team to suck so bad, and to draft literally top 12 over a 8 years span, how can your only pro bowl players include Davis, Tre Johnson and I think Alexander? CC had easily the worst performance for a GM until the 1999 draft, his last until now. And then he moved from 29th to 27th.

I am no fan of CC. I have lived through his drafts, his stupid FA picks up, and ability to scare the crap out the fans on draft day by overpaying to move up in the draft, or trading a pick away to plug one hole while ignoring another.

Maybe the guy is getting smarter about this, im just not getting my hopes up

7. Dreamshake

Ummm. I believe Brian Mitchell was a return man Pro Bowler. Champ Bailey was a pro bowler. So were Chris Samuels (who almost everyone on the planet wanted Peter Warrick instead), and LaVarr Arrington. Jon Jansen for two years has deserved to be one, and was a great 2nd round pickup. Alexander is a pro bowler until injury last year. Westbrook was a pro bowler alternate his only injury free season. Now add Tre Johnson, and Stephen Davis. Thats just about as outstanding any few years can get in the draft. Name one other GM that managed to put his team in such advantages since the Herschel Walker trade. Let me remind you of some more greatness on his part. Do you remeber how the skins grabbed Samuels? They didnt initially have the second and third picks. Trades landed them the Second pick for LaVarr Arrington, but the Skins traded two picks to the 49ers, who would of probably been better off keeping the high pick, for the 3rd overall pick.

And who cares if he "Begged and Begged" for a deal to get done. Does this make him stupid or Carolina stupid for saying "Ok, since he's begging, we'll take Gilbert off their hands and pony up some high picks"??? Either way he milked the Panthers. He milked Ditka and the Saints too. Everyone on the planet knew the Skins were not going to draft Ricky. EVERYONE knew they coveted Champ Bailey. EVERYONE knew that once the fifth pick rolled around if things stayed pat, the Skins would of drafted Bailey. Casserly sold it. If not, the Bears could of waited for the next person and made the deal then.

Lets see. The Johnson trade. Yep, 4,000 yards almost 30 TD's and only something like 18 picks was horrible. Maybe the team should of stuck with Gus for a while Longer. Admittadly, they would of preferred to give the job to Trent Green. But the team was bought, returned, legal battle ensued, and Green left in the chaos. The skins had no QB. Nothing, and training camp was on the horizon. They almost were "forced" to make that trade. It wasnt all that bad a trade. Like I said, Johnson put up the numbers. Had an injury, and a HUGE Daniel Snyder mistake (Jeff George) his second season. Rumors had it that Snyder was demanding at points to give George the job. Is it any wonder that Brad had a subpar second season, and walked?

Your on something if you think Casserly wasn't on top of it. At least from 95 to 99.

#7 Dreamshake, Apr 20, 2002
    Last edited: Apr 20, 2002
  8. NCSTATEFAN

NCSTATEFAN Member

Explain how Casserly drafted Arrington and Samuels in the 2000 draft? Im not sure, but last time I checked, he wasnt employed with the Skins.

So did Casserly somehow transform into Joe Mendes and then trade up with the 49ers to draft Samuels? That is pretty good if he pulled that out.

Yes it makes a difference to note that CC's inability to lack foresight, could very well have hindered the chain reaction of positive events, HAD Casserly had his way in the 1998 draft. He would not have #5th overall pick to trade down with to acquire the extra picks. Casserly was basically the forest gump of GM's 1998-1999.

Dreamshake, you totally are not recalling events as they fell in shape. Do I have to type out how the 1999 draft came to shape up, or would you rather continue to suck on his gonads despite your misperception of CC's abilites.

It was CC that bobbled up with Trent Green, and failed to sign him on the dotted line prior to the end of the Season. CC trying to cover up his azz once again, does whatever it takes to get some patchwork to cover up the mitstake once Green splits to the Rams. Yes they were held up by the NFL AFTER the season, but they still had a chance to sign the guy during the season.

But again, if you feel trading away top 10 picks for a player that can only give you 1-2 years of service, then I can see how you would love that deal. I personally would rather stay mediocre for the short term, if I can build up the core with younger players for the long term.

Look at how hypocritical his philosphy was in 1998 and now? No players under 30, keep draft picks to build up the core. In 1999, the guy is trading 3 high draft picks for a player that at best could of had 3 years of producutivity, and a long line of injuries. So either you think his gameplan now is ludicrious, and his 1999 was genius.

for all purposes, 1995 was a bust for CC. Nothing came out that draft but Westbrook, who never lived up anywhere close to his potential.

1996 produce Stephen Davis! Finally after like 3 drafts, he produces one probowl player

1997 Nothing. Just one solid player in Lang

1998 Nothing. Alexander made the probowl one year, but in 4 years could not stay healthy enough to make a difference

1999 One god draft. I will give him props for Bailey and Jansen.

But lets go back to 1994, Again, nothing. A bust in Shuler, Tre Johnson with his one healthy season, and if you want to count Frerotte, go ahead.

1993, NOTHING

Again, we are talking about a team that spent most of the decade picking high. Even by shear luck, or throwing darts at a draft board, you should at least be able to pick a winner 1 in 4 drafts.

9. Hottoddie

So, you're saying that Casserly having the foresight to put the Franchise tag on Gilbert had nothing at all to do with Washington acquiring the 2 future #1's? How does any of what you've said here indicate that Casserly is a bad GM? It seems to me, that your anger over the Carolina signing of Gibert, is clouding your opinion of Casserly.

Maybe, the two examples you gave, are great examples of why coaches should never pick the players. Here's the results of his 97, 98, & 99 drafts. Note that the 97 & 98 drafts didn't include any picks from the two examples that you used & 14 of the 15 players he picked are still in the league today.

Casserly's best Washington drafts came in his last years on the job. For instance, in 1997, seven of the eight players he chose are still in the NFL.

Likewise, all seven of his 1998 picks are still in the league, and his first two 1999 picks -- cornerback Champ Bailey and tackle Jon Jansen -- appear on their way to stardom.

10. NCSTATEFAN

NCSTATEFAN Member

So, you're saying that Casserly having the foresight to put the Franchise tag on Gilbert had nothing at all to do with Washington acquiring the 2 future #1's? How does any of what you've said here indicate that Casserly is a bad GM? It seems to me, that your anger over the Carolina signing of Gibert, is clouding your opinion of Casserly.

Either he uses the tag and possibly gets something for Gilbert, or he doesn't, and gets nothing.. I guess what I call a nobrainer, you call a brilliant move.

Next you'll be praising CC in the draft for not forfeiting the picks, and actually using them on players.

11. NCSTATEFAN

NCSTATEFAN Member

Can you name them? And im not even saying that sarcasticly. Just find out who and what team they are on.

Derek Smith comes to mind, kinda solid MLB who plays for the 49ers.

Connell had one good year, then disappered. Where is he now?

Then Lang, who played decent at the DT. I know he is on a team.

Where are the rest of those guys?

#11 NCSTATEFAN, Apr 20, 2002
    Last edited: Apr 20, 2002
  12. Hottoddie

So much anger & hostility. Have you thought about seeking counseling for this? :p

13. Hottoddie

Rd Sel# Player Pos.
    1 17 Lang, Kenard DT (Cleveland)
    2 51 Jones, Greg OLB (Houston)
    3 80 Smith, Derek ILB (San Francisco)
    4 115 Connell, Albert WR (Free Agent)
    5 132 Williams, Jamel DB (can't find him)
    5 140 Thibodeaux, Keith CB (Green Bay)
    5 148 Russell, Twan OLB (Miami)
    5 162 Badger, Brad (Oakland)

14. Dreamshake

<i> Explain how Casserly drafted Arrington and Samuels in the 2000 draft? Im not sure, but last time I checked, he wasnt employed with the Skins. </i>

He was still employed by the team then. It wasn't until after the draft he was let go. He did the math, and picked Samuels instead of "all world" Peter Warrick. Even I at the time wanted Warrick.

<i> Yes it makes a difference to note that CC's inability to lack foresight, could very well have hindered the chain reaction of positive events, HAD Casserly had his way in the 1998 draft. He would not have #5th overall pick to trade down with to acquire the extra picks. Casserly was basically the forest gump of GM's 1998-1999. </i>

What exactly is the point here. Make it. Use some fact. Dont use stuff like "He had to beg"

<i> It was CC that bobbled up with Trent Green, and failed to sign him on the dotted line prior to the end of the Season. CC trying to cover up his azz once again, does whatever it takes to get some patchwork to cover up the mitstake once Green splits to the Rams. Yes they were held up by the NFL AFTER the season, but they still had a chance to sign the guy during the season. </i>

Umm bright boy. Name me one team in the NFL that negotiates contracts during the season. Now name me one team that negotiates contracts on an unproven commodity, that was forced into the starting lineup, only played in 3/4 of a half way decent season, when the season ended. Much less negotiate as it was going on. Has anyone heard of Brady getting a big contract extension yet? So they waited till the end of the season. Which was the RIGHT thing to do. Like anyone in the world would of known that the Redskins would of been Forbidden to sign any deals until the several week ownership dispute was played out. Yes that right, FORBIDDEN. As in not allowed to make any signings.

<i> But again, if you feel trading away top 10 picks for a player that can only give you 1-2 years of service, then I can see how you would love that deal. I personally would rather stay mediocre for the short term, if I can build up the core with younger players for the long term. </i>

At the time it was the right call. Dan Snyder fudged this one, by going out and spending buckets of dough on FA's that included Jeff George. It was Dan Snyder that was demanding Jeff George play that second season. It wasn't Brad's fault that he got a minor injury that put George in, and Snyder forced the team to use Jeff. Look at what he accomplished in the one year he had without those distractions. And without Snyder fudging it up the second year, Brad would of stayed with Skins. This was Danny fault. And yes, I trade away a top 10 pick if it brings me a QB (who by all accounts could of produced for years to come like he did the first year) that would put up the numbers. Produced in ways Heath Shuler, Gus Frerote were never going to. Did I also not make myself clear. By the time Trent left, the skins had no QB on their roster. What were they to do? Tell me. What would of you done.

I think your just a panther fan who is pissed off that Casserly was genius enough to "make the one move that single handedly killed the Panthers". Hold your grudge for that ignorant orginization for spending on a player that held out for a year. Their mistake not Charlie's.

Once again, he brokered the seven for one deal when it could of very possibly not happened.

Which turned into the next year where he milked the 49ers out of the 3rd pick for two late round draft choices.

He milked the Panthers in the Gilbert trade.

As for some of those players.

Albert Connel. All pro potential, but its Casserly's fault he threw a tirade on the sidelines that got him released from the skins. Or that Albert decided to steal from his teammates in NO

Steven Alexander. A former all Pro. Again, its Casserly's job to find the talent, not evaluate weather a player who had no history of injury in his college days will suddenly get injuries in the NFL. The fact you blame him on this only validates your lame approach to him.

Actually I dont even want to respond to the rest of that drivel. You know what. Do some more research, before you just talk smack because the man "single handedly sunk your team" with the Gilbert trade. Try using more fact, and less anger. A

Again, to all you Texan fans, Casserly will do you right.

15. NCSTATEFAN

NCSTATEFAN Member

He was still employed by the team then. It wasn't until after the draft he was let go. He did the math, and picked Samuels instead of "all world" Peter Warrick. Even I at the time wanted Warrick.

Wrong again CC gonad sucker, he was removed from GM duties in august of 99.

And for the record, I am a redskin fan that lived through his horrible drafting and FA acquistions. Unbiased publications prior to Casserlys firing ranked him dead last as a GM based upon his drafts from 1990-1998. Of course, most intelligent individuals look at the overall record other than the last year.

Im just amazed you guys are so impressed with a player that picked over 60 players, with the majority of these pick in the upper half of the draft for almost a decade, and could only produce 4 probowl players, with only Bailey as a potential repeat.

Again, if your picking top 15 for a decade, you dang well better have a guy still hanging around in the league, even by shear luck.

CC did not milk the Panthers, the Panthers milked themselves. They passed on CC's offer which he only wanted their 15th in 1998, and 3rd rounder in 1999. If the Panthers had it back over, they would have accepted the offer, CC would draft another one of his "project" players, and he would not be employed right now by anybody. No wonder he gave Capers a job, Capers stopped his spiraling career, and left the panther organization torn apart.

Look at his 1990-1995 drafts. Research those 5 years and come back to me with a grade. 5 years with a whole lotta nothing. 1996-1999, the only two players that are stand outs are Stephen Davis and Champ Bailey. He overpaid for a 32 year old QB, with a history of injuries, and for all purposes, still an a "unproven." I do give him props for manuerving in 1999, nabbing Bailey and Jansen. But his grade for the decade....... d minus at best

Look at that team now, reaching now at the end of the first round for Ramsey, when the Skins should of held back on immediate gratification in 1999, drafted Culpepper, and endured yet another year of losing. So yes, I would go into the 99 season with a scrub QB. Hell, maybe if the Skins sucked that year, Synder would not have gone bezerk and signed everyone under the sun in 2000.

its Casserly's job to find the talent, not evaluate weather a player who had no history of injury in his college days will suddenly get injuries in the NFL. The fact you blame him on this only validates your lame approach to him.

Thats exactly his problem. How many players have CC drafted with a history of injuries did he bring onboard to the skins. None of these guys never panned out. You draft not only talented players, but players without the injury tag on them. All of these guys carried their college injuries into the pros.

Im just standing by waiting to see who you guys wil blame in a few years if team expectations are not met. Will Cc blame the coach this time for drafting Carr? Will fans blame the coach when players begin dropping with there college injuries? Will 4 probowl players, with only 1 perinneal be acceptable to you guys when you look back on CC's draft history in 2012? It better be, because according to some, thats good enough.

16. Hottoddie

You're living in the past. If you'll reread the original post, I stated that Casserly has gotten better over the years. Who cares what he did in his early years? If you'll set your anger aside for just a moment & look at the picks in each subsequent year, you can see that he's gotten better at evaluating talent as each year has passed.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/historical/teams/WAS.html

On second thought, you're too blinded by your anger to look at it objectively. Why don't you just go back to your Redskins board & cry there about how Casserly screwed you over.:rolleyes:

17. NCSTATEFAN

NCSTATEFAN Member

I just saw your mom tonight and slapped a twenty by the bed when I left. Thats good enough for me. Tell her I said Hello by the way.

18. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

I hadn't even read this thread until someone sent me an email about it, but...

The above comment and the "gonad sucker" comments are over the line. First off, try to recognize a smiley for God's sake.

:p <--- ya' know, one of these things.

If you were joking, YOU use a smilie...

:) <--- ya' know, one of these things.

I don't know why you feel like you have to respond to disagreements with name calling, but it has NO place on this BBS. You want to do that, take it somewhere else (preferably to your respective email boxes), but don't do it in here. It doesn't improve your argument and it goes against everything we want this board to be.

19. NCSTATEFAN

NCSTATEFAN Member

Wait. So I start of with a post, and I get responses stating "Im on drugs," or "get therapy", and thats okay. Like that is supporting the "Casserly is God" statment .If you look Jeff, I don't begin the name calling until im provoked.

And your right, I need to find another board where the administrators are not so biased. You bash my response openly and quite often, while ignoring provoking statements of others.

Anyways, im off this board, kill this name.

20. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member