1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Cassell wants to play for Karl, Nuggets

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by matty101, Oct 10, 2007.

1. matty101

matty101 Member

Lock if its already been posted.

Source

Looks like everyones dream of having Sammy back for one more year and a title run is over. Mine included. :(

2. TurboRowdyPAUL

imagine if he came back and we won a championship.... that would be incredible

3. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Imagine how bad the Clippers are going to be this year.

4. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

More likely, Sam is putting this out there in hopes of nudging the Clips to trade him now. Nuggets are empty at the point. Chucky Atkins only, unless you put Iverson there.

Evan

5. A-Train

A-Train Contributing Member

If Cassell convinces the Clippers to broadcast all their home games in HD this season, does he deserve the MVP award?

6. Nuggets4

Nuggets4 Contributing Member

Bingo. He's been talking about coming to Denver for 3 years now. There's genuine interest there, but I think right now he just wants out of LA.

7. RocksMillenium

RocksMillenium Contributing Member

Why would we want Cassell when we have Francis and James!? :confused:

8. poprocks

poprocks Member

Does anyone want to play for Dunleavy? First Magette and now Cassell.

9. thelasik

thelasik Contributing Member

Sam played well tonight. 21 pts, 5 rebs, 3 ast.

10. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Have the Nuggets passed the first round of the playoffs since they beat the Sonics in 93?

11. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

http://www.latimes.com/sports/baske...eadlines-sports-nba-clippe&ctrack=1&cset=true
    Cassell willing but is he able?

Coming off a season in which he played only 58 games because of various injuries, the point guard declares himself ready to lead again this season and beyond.
    By Jonathan Abrams, Los Angeles Times Staff Writer
    October 15, 2007
    OAKLAND -- He'll blow 38 candles out on his birthday cake next month. He suffered through aches and pains all last season. He has won championships and has little left to prove in the NBA.

Still, Sam Cassell, the Clippers' enigmatic court leader, would like to announce he's back. And not only for this year either. Be it with the Clippers or another NBA franchise.

Cassell, beginning his 15th season, is in the final year of a two-year, $13-million contract. He played in only 58 games last season and became basketball's version of a pinch-hitter toward the end of it, informing Coach Mike Dunleavy whether he could play mere moments before tipoffs.

Take it away, Sam:

"It was tough last year," Cassell said. "You see some of the guys struggling and I know how to get all these guys their shots and how to get them to play at a higher level."

"But I feel a lot better this year. A little bruised in the knee. But my back is fine. My abdominal muscle is fine. Everything else is fine.

"I'm definitely coming back next year. I don't want to be a starter, though. Maybe come off the bench and play 20 or 25 minutes. If the Clippers would welcome me back, I would have no problems here."

Cassell has long envisioned coaching after his career ends and said he also wouldn't mind playing a final season for a franchise where an assistant's job would be waiting afterward.

He scored 16 points in the first quarter of the Clippers' second exhibition against the Trail Blazers, and Portland Coach Nate McMillan pulled him aside, telling him he'd "better not retire because there's still a lot of gas left in that tank."

Dunleavy still called Cassell's durability a question mark.

"As Sam gets older, you never know how much he can give you," he said. "But so far, he's looked good."

Trainer Jasen Powell said the team would closely monitor Cassell and work on his flexibility throughout the season to alleviate abdominal pain.

"It all depends on how many minutes he plays and the wear and tear he takes," Powell said. "We also have to be sensitive to his age factor in terms of how fast he can recover after games."

Dunleavy has liked how all three point guards are playing, but once again, the Clippers probably will go as far as Cassell carries them.

And he wouldn't have it any other way.

"I've always been a basketball fanatic," he said. "Most people wouldn't want to take the last shot, but I want to. For me, it's easier to take a shot in the fourth quarter than it is in the first."

The Clippers beat the Golden State Warriors, 99-89, at Oracle Arena on Sunday for their first exhibition victory. Cassell, Corey Maggette, Josh Powell, Quinton Ross and Chris Kaman started. Al Thornton made his first eight shots and finished with a game-high 24 points. Maggette added 18 points and 14 rebounds.

12. Nuggets4

Sonics in '94. And no.

13. ThePrivate

ThePrivate Member

have the nuggets ever been to the nba finals? never mind, i know the answer.

14. Nuggets4

I have my own little stalker now. That's nice.

15. ThePrivate

ThePrivate Member

stalker? no, i am just messing with you. i will admit, i don't believe i have ever read any of your postings, so i shouldn't have jumped to any conclusions that you are a nugget homer. now that i have read some more of your postings, you appear to have good objective knowledge. i apologize. i still don't like the ai/melo combination, but if it works and the nuggets get far in the playoffs, then i will be the 1st to admit i was wrong. won't be the last time i am wrong. see, i can man up.