1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Cassell, best PG in the EAST, BAR NONE

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by tinman, May 1, 2001.

1. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I can't believe some people think Tim Hardaway or Stephon Marbury is better than this guy. Where are they now? How many rings do these dudes have?

Did anyone see the last game against Orlando? He had 16 REBOUNDS and he threw Pat Garrity'sh**t! I think he's using what he's learning from Hakeem. Watch him post up Darrell Armstrong, there's a little shake!

------------------

2. CriscoKidd

CriscoKidd Member

Marbury IS better.

------------------
    snap crackle pop

3. PhiSlammaJamma

I'd take Cassell over Marbury anyday. The Nets are nothing. The Bucks are something. There is a difference. It's called leadership.

------------------
    humble, but hungry.

4. 4chuckie

4chuckie Member

Big Dog & Ray Allen also are good players playing along side Cassell.
    Again it may come back tot he argument that Cassell may be a better PG (makes his teammates happy, although he has been described as selfish in the past) while Marbury has great skills which may make him a better offensive player.

5. SamCassell

SamCassell Contributing Member

Like Sammy himself said, look at Keith Van Horn. He was an up and coming player when Cassell was playing the point; now he's regressed. The Nets were also a playoff team before that trade (and Milwaukee was not). Marbury doesn't make his teammates better, and that's the true test of a PG.

------------------
    I'm about to boldly go where many men have gone before.

6. Live

Live Member

All of you make some great points about Marbury.

Yes, he may have more talent and upside than Sammy, but Sammy is the better player right now, HANDS DOWN.

I wonder if it's time for the Nets to start thinking about drafting\signing\trading for a PG and sliding Marbury over to the SG permanently, a la Iverson. Think about it, Kittles may never be ready to go so they'll have a glaring hole at SG. The Nets can draft someone like Tinsley, and Marbury can slide over and just worry about scoring.

------------------

7. tinman

Supporting Member

Sam cares about winning not his stats. Crisco did you see the last playoff game? Sam blocked shots and got 16 boards. And he's never afraid to take big shots.

Also, the playoffs show how great a player truly is. Oh, by the way, Sam is averaging
    21 points 7.7 boards 5.7 assists/game in the playoffs.

Name me a better point guard in the playoffs. Marbury first has to reach the playoffs to be even compared to Cassell.

------------------

8. 4chuckie

4chuckie Member

"Marbury first has to reach the playoffs to be even compared to Cassell."

Careful when you say stuff like that. Remember we have a PG that many on this board say is better than Payton & Kidd. [​IMG]

9. tinman

Supporting Member

To be more exact, Marbury first has to carry the Nets to the playoffs to be compared to Cassell.

Oh, Stevie has been in the league way less years than Stephon.

Franchise will get his!

------------------

10. CriscoKidd

CriscoKidd Member

Give Marbury the tools to get into the playoffs, then see whose numbers are better. Cassell has a way, way better team around him. Tim Thomas, Ray Allen, Big Dog, hell, even Hunter is pretty good.

Marbury, hmmm, he had what, half a season from Van Horn and Martin? Nothing from Gill. Nothing from Kittles. Marbury didn't have a good team last year either. Only Van Horn, and thats it. Marbury didn't get to play with Jason Williams, KV, Kittles, Gill, and JJ like Cassell did. Stick Cassell on the Net teams that Marbury has had to play with and they would be worse off.

Cassell is damn good, but Marbury is better.

lol, Cassell did not "carry" the bucks to the playoffs. That is just funny. You want to see somebody "carry" a team look at TMac.

------------------
    snap crackle pop

11. tinman

Supporting Member

You hit a point. Marbury DOESN'T want to be on a team with Ray Allen and Big Dog. Remember when he was on a team with a really good player named 'Garnett'? He rather be the 'Man' then be a point guard who cares about winning. Marbury doesn't care how good they would have been, he just cares about getting his. Cassell was never the 'Man', but he made people play better and brought a certain confidence that Marbury doesn't have.

Leadership, and a 'heart of a champion' is also needed for a player to be great.

------------------

12. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

For those of you that have watched his game recently, I thought his game had started changing. He seemed to be getting more assists and still rack up 30-50 ppg before he got hurt.

Even Iverson had to be slapped in the head before he woke up and discovered there are 11 other players on his team.

------------------
    Yugo grills, Yugo mills, Check out the oil my Yugo spills...

13. CriscoKidd

CriscoKidd Member

I'm sure you know what Marbury wants and cares about. [​IMG] For all you know, Marbury may have just WANTED to play in NJ, his home, or maybe he just did not like Minnesota, the place or the team. He certainly didn't leave because he didn't get the shots, KG can't get the ball to someone who will make one(or even make it himself) so save their playoff life.

Cassell isn't good enough to be "the Man".
    ------------------
    snap crackle pop

[This message has been edited by CriscoKidd (edited May 01, 2001).]

14. across110thstreet

across110thstreet Contributing Member

marbury is from Coney Island, Brooklyn, but yes, when he came to the Nets he was happy to be near home.

------------------
    right on

15. gr8-1

gr8-1 Contributing Member

Sam may be a better team player but Stephon wins if they play one-on-one. But that's a whole different story.

You guys seem to like Sam, and that's great. But, wasn't he the guy who complained about Allen and Glenn getting more credit/attention then him ?

------------------
    "norm, would you like to buy an indian scalp ? This deal isn't gonna make or break me Norm, so don't jerk me around." Harry Carey "Norm, if I had a mohawk scalp, I wouldn't be sitting here talking to you."

16. SamCassell

SamCassell Contributing Member

gr8-1, I don't remember that. I do remember him mentioning that he was underpaid, which is true (but he signed the contract and will live with it). And, Allen and Robinson have gotten more individual attention than Sam, considering that both made the all star team the past 2 seasons, while Sammy has never had that honor. But I didn't read where he complained about it. About 1 on 1 play - too bad they play 5 on 5 in real basketball. One on one is reserved for Hakeem-Shaq Double Decker Taco challenge (which sadly never took place).

------------------
    I'm about to boldly go where many men have gone before.

17. kidrock8

kidrock8 Member

Did Cassell really LEAD the Bucks to the playoffs? I would say he's the 3rd cog on his team...

While Marbury is the top guy on his team...

As for Van Horn, he's been injured during his time with NJ since Marbury came... Kittles and Gill have always been hurt too...

Who was hurt when Sam was there? Where did Sam take NJ?

Why was NJ, Pho, Dal, all quick to let him go?

Cassell is a GOOD PG, but he's not in Marbury's class...

I'm not a big Marbury fan, and Cassell used to be my favorite player...

Moreover, George Karl is a much better coach than whoever the hell is NJ's coach...

Sam is in a much better position to succeed than Marbury is...

When Marbury had decent help in Min, they made the playoffs...

------------------
    "Awesome baby!"

Dick Vitale

18. kidrock8

kidrock8 Member

Sammy did complain about getting snubbed from the All-Star team... Granted, he deserved to go, but there were probably 10 other guys in the league who deserved to go and shut their mouths...

------------------
    "Awesome baby!"

Dick Vitale

19. tinman

Supporting Member

Cassell was hurt when NJ went to the playoffs. But he contributed to the team's good record in order to make it there.

Dallas and Phoenix were too brief of stints to judge.

Oh, here's something for you.

Q: At the beginning of your career did you ever think you'd be an All-Star?

http://global.nba.com/allstar2001/asgame/east_quotes_robinson.html

Robinson: That was one of my goals. That was one thing that I expected. I worked hard on my game in the summer to try and make it here. It's a very individual goal, but I wouldn't be here without my teammates. Sam Cassell, he's a guy who is playing great. I think he should have been here also. He is probably one of the best point guards in the East

--"If you don't know, you'd betta ask somebody!"

------------------

20. tinman

Supporting Member

Cassell was hurt when NJ went to the playoffs. But he contributed to the team's good record in order to make it there.

Dallas and Phoenix were too brief of stints to judge.

Oh, here's something for you.

Q: At the beginning of your career did you ever think you'd be an All-Star?

http://global.nba.com/allstar2001/asgame/east_quotes_robinson.html

Robinson: That was one of my goals. That was one thing that I expected. I worked hard on my game in the summer to try and make it here. It's a very individual goal, but I wouldn't be here without my teammates. Sam Cassell, he's a guy who is playing great. I think he should have been here also. He is probably one of the best point guards in the East

--"If you don't know, you'd betta ask somebody!"

------------------