1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Case Keenum, the GREAT

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by donatas, Dec 10, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Remii

Remii Member

Not to mention Case had a coach that ruined his conference after Kubiak yanked him with the first opportunity he got. He didn't have Foster and had an unhealthy Tate. And he had receivers who were either dropping balls and or not making plays after the catch.

I don't know how good Case can or can't be but I do know he was put in a bad situation and the team and the coaching staff didn't step up around him. O'Brien may keep him and give him a chance to compete.

2. mick fry

mick fry Member

^ this. Keenum is the qb everbody that hasnt a clue has wrote off.

3. Progs

Progs Member

If the Texans end up drafting Clowney, then I have no doubt Keenum will be starting Wk 1.

4. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

[​IMG]

5. Progs

Progs Member

Not gonna lie, that made me laugh :grin: but I'll by what I said. :cool:

6. josephnicks

josephnicks Member

yea man, a brand new coach pinning his job on a UDFA is laughable. at some point in this draft OB will take a quarterback, he will likely bring in a vet as well, i wouldnt be surprised if case is part of the teams first cuts..

7. primtim24

primtim24 Contributing Member

A.K.A. he'll let him "play it out", but Case will magically be back at being the back-up to whomever we draft. BOB is not going to go into next season without having his own plan at QB.

P.S. - Kubiak wasn't that big of a coach to ruin the ENTIRE AFC.....:grin:

8. Remii

Remii Member

Kubiak did ruin the entire AFC conference by just giving away wins...lol. Thanks for the correction.

9. Progs

Progs Member

If we end up drafting Clowney or Mack #1, do you think Keenum can beat out whichever QB we select in the later rounds or would you expect the team to trade for QB?

10. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I think we are bringing in a vet QB no matter what but if Keenum improves as much this off-season as he did last off-season, I could see him winning some starts.

11. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

Outside of random injuries, I don't think there's any way OB starts off his tenure with Case as the starting QB.

12. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

It could happen, it's probably not likely though. If the Texans waste their first pick on a QB, they'll have no choice but to start them even if they wouldn't have won the job in camp.

13. SamCassell

SamCassell Contributing Member

2 TD, 6 INT his final 5 games. 2 of those stinkers were against the Jags, 1 against the Raiders. Once the NFl figured him out, Keenum was hot garbage. He's done as a starting QB, absent significant injuries. He might not even be on the roster next season.

14. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Is it really fair to judge based on stats from after the team gave up on their coaches?

15. sugrlndkid

sugrlndkid Member

Keenum had his chance at winning games, and showed that he couldn't. Partly line, partly coaching...but looking at his decision making as a whole, its quite clear that Keenum just isnt that good. Seems to be a smart kid, but it was clear to everyone watching Texans football post Matt Schaub, that Keenum isnt your starter. Love to be proven wrong, but nothing I saw shows me that he can lead in the clutch(what it takes to win in the NFL).

16. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

Lets say Keenum was our 2nd or 3rd round draft pick last year. Would we be this quick to give up on him like we are right now?

17. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

Absolutely not, but he wasn't.

18. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Case Kenum played well early because defenses played him like he was Matt Schaub. Once they got film, he was done, because he is currently incapable of the mental aspects of playing pro football, which you don't need in a spread.

If he had shown any improvement at all in this respect I'd feel better. But teams figured out how to exploit him, and it should have been pretty clear to Case how to fix it, but he couldn't.

I see no reason to think anything will have changed in that regard. Maybe a light bulb will go on someday, and he'll become able to run a pro offense, but it would be foolish to bet next season on something changing that much that quickly.

#98 Ottomaton, Feb 28, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2014
  19. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

A team would have something invested in a 2nd or 3rd round pick and would given them a chance in hopes of seeing a return. The Texans have nothing actually invested in Keenum so he doesn't have any kind of leash at all. His playing time is based purely on merit and whoever else we have on the roster.

If there weren't a regime change, Case would have a better shot. But I can't imagine a new coach like O'Brien tying his success in his first year to an undrafted 2nd year QB who wasn't particularly good as a rookie.

20. SevenMinuteAbs

To be fair though, he was playing with an already banged up supporting cast and the whole team just seemed to implode right before our eyes. He played well enough to get a few wins but we as a team didn't.

AND CAN WE PLEASE STOP TALKING ABOUT BEING CLUTCH.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.