1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Carr to NO for 2nd pick? (speculation)

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Bag0b0y, Feb 4, 2006.

1. Bag0b0y

Bag0b0y Member

I don't know the extent of truth this post is claiming but I was reading it and thought it would be interesting. This guy in one forum was claiming Peter King from some radio station mentioned how the Texans and the Saints are discussing a trade involving David Carr (plus picks) for the Saints #1 pick due to Martz not wanting to deal with a rookie QB. That in turn would allow the Texans to draft both Vince Young and Reggie Bush. I don't believe this is going to happen but could you imagine? All the Bush and Young fans could gather in a circle holding hands around a campfire singing koom bah yah!

Footballs Future forum

2. Aceshigh7

Aceshigh7 Contributing Member

Man, that would be the coolest thing ever. I wish it would happen.

3. Another Brother

Another Brother Contributing Member

I don't know how accurate this is but I'm going to turn my computer off NOW and smile all day in lieu of the possibility. Thanks for making my day Bag0!

4. Rocket Fan

Rocket Fan Member

guessing that would also save the saints some money.. since Carr probably has less left on his contract than the number 2 pick woudl get...

5. Master Baiter

Master Baiter Contributing Member

That's a great source but unfortunately there is no way that happens.

6. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

I don't think teams are allowed to sign 2 Top 5 or Top 10 (not sure which) picks.

7. Joshfast

Joshfast "We're all gonna die" - Billy Sole
    Supporting Member

Maybe for a 2nd round pick, and/or a player on the Saints. No chance for their first, I don't even think we could put that much money in the backfield, especially 2 rookies.

8. RIET

RIET Contributing Member

New Orleans would have to be crazy to do that.

Carr is as unknown as Leinart or Young.

9. Major

Major Member

Actually, I think it makes perfect sense from NO's perspective if they think Carr is still worthy of a top level pick. They trade their #1 pick (an unknown) for a similar #1 pick (Carr, also an unknown) and extra picks. So they just get extra picks out of it. Plus, they don't have nearly the financial commitment in Carr that they would have to make to Leinart or Young.

I don't know if it makes as much sense from Houston's perspective, as cool as it might be. They'd presumably take a cap hit on Carr and have to fund 2 top picks in the draft. It also costs them much needed picks on a team that's full of holes. It saves a PR nightmare, though, if they'd rather take Bush and Vince.

I doubt something like this would happen simply due to financial reasons... but if its true that it was discussed, I think that's a good sign for pro-Vince people. It means, at least, that (a) they're open to moving Carr and (b) the Texans are at lease somewhat interested Vince.

10. reggietodd

reggietodd Contributing Member

This isn't happening, this rumor was spoken about on 610. They basically said nobody in their right mind would give up a #2 overall pick for David Carr when you have Leinart, Young, & Cutler in this draft.

Lock it up.

11. Major

Major Member

Except the trade being discussed isn't the #2 pick for David Carr.

12. gr8-1

gr8-1 Contributing Member

imo, Carr not worth #2 overall pick.

13. rikesh316

rikesh316 Member

This has no chance of happening. No team would give up a 1st round pick for David Carr.

14. Jared Novak

Jared Novak Contributing Member

Agreed.

If the Texans were to get a #2 and #4 for Carr then maybe the Texans do that trade, if they are seriously looking at upgrading the QB position. Who knows they make be looking at Young, Leinart or Cutler.

I believe that there is some thread of truth to this rumor because the Texans are waiting until the very last minute to exercise the option on Carr. I think that Kubiak is watching film day and night to give his assessment on the team and in particular Carr. The Texans could very well franchise tag him and then let him and his agent look for a trade.

The Texans are in a prime position to take a player that will help set the tone for the next couple of years and if they think that Carr is not the QB to take them to a championship then they have the opportunity to take a QB who can in Young, Leinart or Cutler.

15. RocketFan007

RocketFan007 Contributing Member

I guess you don't remember the Redskins having the #2 and #3 picks a few years ago.

16. RIET

RIET Contributing Member

I doubt there's a team in the league who thinks David Carr is a franchise player. His ceiling is at best, "good QB". At worst, he's a complete bust with happy feet and an inaccurate arm.

Nobody would trade a #2 pick for a player with a limited ceiling and has been sacked a million times, even if they received picks in return.

The #2 pick is generally worth at least another Top 10 pick (which Houston does not have), a #2, and usually at least one or two lower picks like a 3 and/or a 4.

If Houston managed to do this preposterous trade (one of the most lopsided in NFL history), they could trade the #2 for a lower 1st, a 2nd, and probably another 2nd or 3rd in next years draft.

The rumor awhile back of Carr being a 3rd round pick was at least plausible.

17. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

I've said for a long time that a trade to New Orleans makes sense. We swap Carr for Aaron what's his name straight up and they send us some draft picks. We are giving them a quality starting QB and taking back their salary trash. They're tied in to that guy for another year at least. We use that QB to set up Vince for a year, and draft a bunch of lineman with those extra middle round picks, suffer through another mediocre season, draft some more studs next year, and then run to the playoffs in 2007.

18. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

I'd consider trading Carr for a late first/early second round pick if we could find someone that would take his salary. With that I'd have no problem taking Vince.

But, if we can't get some value for Carr, we can't just let him rot on the bench...or play next year while we groom Vince then rot on the bench.

19. Harrisment

Harrisment Member

Wow, I haven't heard this one before! Oh wait, I have. A few hundred times in the last month. It aint happening. I heard Casserly himself a few weeks ago say that with a salary cap trying to sign two top 5 picks would put any team in a serious bind and be nearly impossible.

20. RIET

RIET Contributing Member

Im sure people in Detroit are also pondering how it would make sense for them to trade Joey Harrington for a 1st round pick.