1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Carol D. says team where knocking down the door

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by vince, Feb 24, 2000.

Tags:
  1. vince

vince Member

Carol won't comment, but he says that there were great offers for the guys on the team. Carol says that there were some great lateral offers, not good enough to break the team apart. And CD says that teams were asking about not one or two players but a lot of them!!!

Atlant, Miami, Toronto all contacted the Rockets. Plus others.

2. Nolen

Nolen Contributing Member

Vince- where did you hear this? Was it on the radio today?

3. popeye

popeye Member

Yeah,radio. AM broadcast of game at half time interview. A good interview despite the fact that CD rarely gives anything away. He did say they were ringing his phone off the hook for over the last two weeks. I happen to know that Mobes, Thomas and Drew were the hottest properties in most of those conversations.CD did not menbtion any Rocket in particular that was involved in the offers.

CD said they wanted to stick with the young guys and not trade anyone this season. Then said he wanted to build around the nucleus of the kids. My question is: How do you build around a nucleus without getting rid if someone? I mean you have to replace someone right? That means someone has to go. Oh well, more typical CD stuff.

Anyway, as usual this was more of an informative interview by CD as in what he did not say. He elluded to trying to rebuild slowly then the process getting sped up this year by the injuries. He mentioned KT progress as benefit to the injuries to Barkley. I hope that means the added time given to KT has helped him become a more entrenched "semi-non-touchable" as far as trade goes. You can bet he got some stiff offers. He stated we have always been a playoff team since Hakeem arrived and we should expect to have a period of time when they were not that type of team anymore.

Between the lines: Actually,when qustioned he said something like(not a direct quote,paraphrasing) "....there was some interesting offers out there all right. And we tried to get a couple of things done,but it is(or was) hard to get all these things to come together for us" (something like that). My take as I listened was that they had a trade position or set of players they went after but could get the combo to work.

He also mentioned Boston. Saying a lot of team where trying to improve and the fact that Boston didn't get it done surprised him(or words to that effect). I had heard as late as early AM on the 24th that Boston was heavily shopping Fortsom and had talked to some people in the West as well East(Toronto,Indiana). That would have been an interesting acquisition for us.

That was my take on it,anyway.