1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Carmelo Anthony on Rockets

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Feb 14, 2011.

1. worzel gummidge

So you're proposing to make it 1 (Melo) v 5 :(

2. jVgOwnsYou

jVgOwnsYou Contributing Member

No Im just thinking long term and I think if we could get an elite scorer in the half court with size and rebounding ability we should do it. We will still have some holes to fill, but I think we need to really focus on getting back to playing great defense. The current roster is what it is. Theyre a .500 team. Martin and Scola are great on the offensive end and thats great but the court is not split in half. You have to do it at both ends. Theyve been in the league for a long time, and their defense is what it is, and in the NBA they match up against great scorers at the 2 and the 4 position almost every night. Especially In the playoffs its impossible to cover up poor defenders at the 2 and the 4.

#82 jVgOwnsYou, Feb 15, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 15, 2011
  3. Rockets_4_life

Yeah, just b/c we get hot from three doesn't make us a good team..

We're just streaky.. and super inconsistent..

4. worzel gummidge

They'd be wasting Melo's prime years trying to surround him with good players while having no cap space. It sounds too familiar.

5. Houston_Rockets

I am sorry, but IMO, your trade proposal is horrible (nothing personal).

Horrible because there is a leverage from Houston when negotiating with Denver...... Melo to Houston is a "Rental" (even if in the end Melo signs here long term).

All Houston has to do is beat the best offer the Knicks will do for Melo (or any other team).

You don´t give up Scola AND Martin for a "rental".

There is a reason why DM said on the radio show that, the fact that NJN was out of the Melo race was great for us, because now, we are the team with better assets (there are teams with better ones, but, until today, they don´t have any intentions of using them for Melo)

Melo
    Martin
    Lowry

These 3 will play together....... if Melo comes to Houston.

Don´t get me wrong about my optimism, there is no done deal, in fact, I think there is going to be alot of surprises during these next 10 days, it will be fun to be a fan of the NBA, let´s hope the Rockets can make some big deals.....

(I put rental with "" because Morey knows Melo will sign an extension because he will not leave that kind of money behind)

PeAcE

6. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

I just woke up...first thing was to go to Clutchfans.

Game Action & Roster Moves.

See thread by Clutch.

Read "TO ROCKETS" instead of "ON ROCKETS" :eek:.

Heart attack.

Now back to sleep.

7. ribbit

ribbit Member

Melo for Martin... Instead of whining about no superstars, we'll whine about lacking an efficient shooter. :grin:

8. worzel gummidge

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/b...k_at_request_for_gallinari_felton_starte.html

9. jVgOwnsYou

jVgOwnsYou Contributing Member

Why Martin? His best attribute is his ability to draw fouls and get to the line which is also Melos strength. He's a good spot up shooter but a horrible defender and he doesnt chip in on the boards. He fades in late game situations

When we traded for him we desperately needed scoring, but if we can use him to acquire an elite closer like Melo, why wouldn't you?

10. Houston_Rockets

Spread the floor (between other things).....

Melo and Lowry are average 3pt shooters, with Melo, we get a guy that can post-up from the SF position, you need guys around him, that can hit the open 3pt shot, or pump fake it, and put it on the floor.....

Kevin would shine with a guy that concentrates all the attentions on offense like Melo.

PeAcE

11. JVL713

JVL713 Contributing Member

Did Melo say our "main guys" stepped up tonight? Lol...someones head wasn't in the game.

Maybe I misheard him it's kinda hard to hear the beginning

12. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

This.

He would have answered the same way if these questions were about playing for the fricken Bobcats.

13. Mav-Hater

Mav-Hater Contributing Member

Valentines Day....Several players did around the league

14. rockets934life

rockets934life Contributing Member

The sooner the Nuggets tell Morey "thanks but no thanks" the faster he can move on to other deals. I'm sure he is looking at all possibilities but if Denver would just tell him NO then he, and the rest of the league, can move on without hesitation.

15. Jdawg

Jdawg Member

I don't want Carmelo. I do not think he will sign an extension here, and we need more than just him, so we would not instantly become a title contender. Also, he is too one-dimensional. For all the grief that Martin, Scola and Brooks take on this site for their lack of defense, it is amazing how much support there is to bring in another defenseless player. He is a superstar, but only on offense. For me, that's not enough for a potential rental.

16. JLOBABYDADDY

JLOBABYDADDY Member

To do what with........?

17. jim1961

jim1961 Member

What im wondering is whether its become common that opposing players are pulling Melo aside after games.

18. CaptainRox

CaptainRox Member

correction both suck
    but you cant go wrong with a subaru!

19. worzel gummidge

Gallinari + Felton + 3rd starter (Chandler or Mozgov)
    Curry's expiring contract
    1st round pick

Vs.

Brooks + Hill + Lee + 2Pat
    Jeffries's expiring contract
    1st round pick
    rights to Eliyahu

http://www.cbssports.com/nba/story/14689371/melo-answers-should-be-forthcoming-as-dday-nears

20. DCkid

DCkid Contributing Member

Agreed. Unfortunately his entire career he's yet to play with an elite scorer on the wing. He'd be absolutely dangerous in that scenario. Rely on your elite guy to make big plays when we're struggling or in crunch-tme situations, and just let Martin passively rack up points the rest of the time.

I think of KM as a role player who's primary function is to just quietly pour in 20 point per game with unheard of efficiency. As important as defense is, a team has to score to win and he is quite possibly the most adept scoring guard in the league when you factor both totals and TS%.

Too bad we'd probably have to trade him to actually obtain and elite wing.