1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Carlos Hernandez

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by DVauthrin, Sep 7, 2001.

1. DVauthrin

DVauthrin Contributing Member

Good news on hernandez for astros fans

this comes from the sporting news's fantasy section

Sep 6, 2001 11:52pm
    Hernandez, who injured his left shoulder running the bases on Aug. 29, continues to improve following a five-minute bullpen session Thursday. "He probably threw about 75 percent of full strength," Astros manager Larry Dierker said. "He felt some discomfort, but it was much better than before. I'd say it's unlikely that he'd pitch Saturday, but I think he's moving in a good direction and it could come along pretty fast."

2. Behad

Behad Contributing Member

On the pregame show before last night's game, it was reported that Hernandez tried to throw some in the outfield and only lasted a couple of throws before shutting it down, saying that there was too much pain. It was not an encouraging report.

3. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

4. DVauthrin

sorry, i didnt catch the chronicle article and while surfing the web for my fantasy info i would that report on him

5. Wakko67

Wakko67 Contributing Member

I hope he's here for the playoffs.

6. Behad

Behad Contributing Member

It's doubtful he will see any playoff action. If he does, it'll be only to get a tough left hander out. Assuming Astacio returns, the rotation will be Miller, Reynolds, Oswalt, and Astacio.

In what order, I don't know.

7. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

The Bills just said he was out for the year.

Dammit.

Torn rotator cuff, slight though.

8. DVauthrin

9. Francis3

Francis3 Member

I think he means Bill Worrell.

10. Timing

Timing Member

Devastating news about Carlos. I hope this isn't Scott Elarton Part 2.

11. DVauthrin

timing i dont believe the injury is that serious

reason i say that is pedro has the same injury right now and is pitching for boston vs ny tonight and isnt getting shelled- he went 3 innings with 3 earned, all in one inning still not that awful

im not saying it isnt a downer but i think carlos can bounce back and take the 4th-5th starting spot next spring

#11 DVauthrin, Sep 7, 2001
    Last edited: Sep 7, 2001
  12. Timing

Timing Member

I hope so! Arm injuries to pitchers are always a tricky business.

13. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

From the Astros web site:

"In other news, the Astros announced that an MRI on Carlos Hernandez's left shoulder revealed a partial tear of his rotator cuff. The injury will not require surgery and he will begin a period of rest and rehabilitation. Hernandez will not pitch again this season."

14. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

'torn rotator cuff' is an ominous phrase for a baseball fan, and more often than not causes a great deal of trepidation. In reality, however 'torn rotator cuff' covers a wide range of degrees of injury.

Only for baseball pitchers, who abuse their arms in ways they were never designed by nature to be abused, is it even a really big problem in most cases.

The rotator cuff only exists because the arm is one of those freaky ball joints that, by nature of the flexability of the ball joint, makes the arm much more succeptable to injury than a joint like the elbow that operates in more or less a binary fashion.

In short, I wouldn't be too stricken with fear by the phrase 'torn rotator cuff' in this case. If its a minor strain/tear it should heal up without a problem.

15. TedRuxpin

TedRuxpin Member

Unfortunately, he is out for the year. Who will step up? Tim Redding????

16. DVauthrin

get astacio back asap and we are fine,

him,miller,oswalt,shane is a top notch foursome, mlicki/villone/redding-whomever is hot can handle 5th man duties

the bats wont stay cold for long, also i say we play vizcaino everyday, because we need a lefty stick in our lineup, so that would make two guys

anyways i really believe this is our yr and we will get to and win the world series