1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Carlos Gomez - Are we concerned?

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Hey Now!, Apr 1, 2016.

1. The Beard

The Beard Contributing Member

Not without his consent

And why would you send him out instead of Jake

2. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

He should take an extended break , a week to 10 days sort of thing . He's clearly pressing / has mechanical / approach issues . He needs to take a step back and work with the coaches on how to get out of his funk . Running head onto in the brick wall approach the Astros are employing isn't working.

3. J.R.

J.R. Member

Ain't no slump or funk. This may be who he is now.

Per Ken Rosenthal on the broadcast, he won't adjust, he won't change his swing.

4. The Beard

The Beard Contributing Member

Then call up Kemp and bench him until he is ready to change his approach

Let him know he has no other options

Not easy to do with these millionaire players, but that's where we are

For it to help though, we need Kemp or a trade for an OF cause using Jake or Tucker isn't any better

5. Hank McDowell

Hank McDowell Member

Hard to believe, but he might just be done. I suspect he does have an injury, but is trying to play through to salvage his contract year. Of course that is counterproductive, but maybe he just doesn't see it. There is no arguing that he is a shell of his former self. Not a great trade! (Again...)

6. J.R.

J.R. Member

http://www.houstonchronicle.com/spo...Extended-struggles-perplex-Carlos-7469247.php

7. arkoe

arkoe (ง'̀-'́)ง

The Astros don't owe Gomez anything. He's not an over the hill Biggio chasing HoF numbers.

8. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Luhnow on Gomez: &quot;I think he’s going to have to turn it around at some point otherwise we’re not going to be able to continue to play him.&quot;</p>&mdash; Brian McTaggart (@brianmctaggart) <a href="https://twitter.com/brianmctaggart/status/732269492714254337">May 16, 2016</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

9. HTOWNTAKEOVER

HTOWNTAKEOVER Member

ummm you should have said that 2 weeks ago idiot

10. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

There are slumps, there are bad slumps, and then there is whatever in the hell has happened to Carlos Gomez. It's like Monstars got him.

11. Jay713

Jay713 Member

He is just telling the media for the first time.

12. jim1961

jim1961 Member

I expect we will see how well the latest call-ups do (Kemp, Moran), then give Gomez some sort of limited future opportunity.

In the meantime, I look for him to PH and get some late innings duty in non-competitive games.

Depending on how well Kemp does and Gomez does in his limited roll, he may very well be done in Houston. But I expect that if he leaves Houston, someone else will give him another opportunity if the money is right.

13. Bear_Bryant

Bear_Bryant Member

Well he's on the DL now. I really hope this gives him time to get his head right and come back as the player we all expected to get when the Astros traded for him.

14. msn

msn Member

well, that trade sucked.

15. vince

vince Member

It seemed like a good trade when it happened. Fiers seemed like he was going to be a stud pitcher with years of control. Gomez seemed like he would at least bring back a 1st round pick, if he left as a free agent.

16. UTAllTheWay

UTAllTheWay Member

Is there any possibility that this can come back to hurt the Astros?

I mean 3 days ago he said he was healthy. Can he dispute a move to the DL?

17. J.R.

J.R. Member

http://houston.cbslocal.com/2016/05/17/astros-g-m-jeff-luhnow-we-got-a-couple-new-faces/

18. UTAllTheWay

UTAllTheWay Member

I see.

That makes perfect sense.

19. UTAllTheWay

UTAllTheWay Member

You know what, I really am gaining a lot of respect for the guy. I mean, there are a lot of guys out there that would be happy to just get their paycheck and move on, but it seems that he is genuinely disappointed in himself, and he takes it to heart that he isn't performing to his best ability.

I can respect that.

20. mick fry

mick fry Member

I think he is a likeable guy and that he is trying his ass off, he can't help it.