1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Car Problem] Sometimes Difficult to Shift Into 2nd Gear

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by rockets > *, Jan 31, 2012.

1. rockets > *

rockets > * Member

Hi all,

I have an issue with my 09 Challenger SRT8. Sometimes its hard to shift into 2nd gear, like it doesn't want to go in. I have to try 2-3 times to shift into 2nd gear when this problem occurs and it's pretty annoying. This happens approximately 40% of the time I drive. I took my car to the dealership but they said that the clutch is only under warranty for 12k miles and that it would cost me $104 to get it diagnosed if it wasn't a warranty issue. I currently have a little under 17k on my car.

I've read that this could be a synchro problem. If this was the case would it be a transmission issue as opposed to the clutch? I told the dealership not to even look at it because I didn't want to spend $104 if it was an issue related to the clutch (which isn't even covered under warranty anymore and is $2k to replace). Any help would be greatly appreciated!

2. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

TWSS. All of it.

3. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

If its the transmission then you shouldn't drive on it much... check the level of transmission fluid first... then I would go an take it to a mechanic who isn't going to charge 100 bucks to take a look.

4. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

also don't post ammo for people to make fun of you

5. rockets > *

rockets > * Member

Lol I was prepared for it. Just really difficult to explain my situation without leaving myself open like that.

6. DOMINATOR

DOMINATOR Member

LOL at any dodge transmission.

may help:
    http://www.challengerforumz.com/showthread.php?t=65359

7. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

Yeap. :eek: I will agree.

8. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

If buying from the factory it will be 2k to replace. You need to find a Challenger forum with sponsors. There you should be able to find a much better clutch/flywheel combo than stock for much less money. I did this and went with JWT, a much lighter flywheel and heavier clutch, so much better than stock. The labor is what will kill you. Usually around $180/Hour. I don't own a Challenger though, just throwing that out there. Stealerships make most of their money on maintenance/repair. I know the GTR tech at Clear Lake Nissan, and we noticed I was missing a piece of my grill. My cost, $120.00. His cost, $7.00. I got it for $7.00. Freaking joke.

9. rockets > *

rockets > * Member

Thanks for that, DOMINATOR! That definitely helps. Gonna see if I can get it done under warranty after I show them that.

10. Blurr#7

Blurr#7 Contributing Member

I would agree if it was a auto but the T6060 that's behind his Hemi is a Borg Warner/Tremec unit. They supply just about all production high end 6 speed manual transmissions.
    It's not the trans, that T6060 is behind lot's of high HP cars (GT500, Viper,Corvette etc.)
    Sounds like a clutch issue to me. Does it do it at all in any other gear?

11. marky :)

marky :) Member

They may not try to charge you like one Honda dealership tried to charge me when one of my gears wouldnt shift in. They said there would be a $500 tear down fee if they don't find anything wrong with the transmission. Hopefully they don't do that to you but it's just something to consider.

12. DOMINATOR

DOMINATOR Member

good info... i wondered that after also reading about the same transmission in higher end mustangs.

word if arguing with your dealership doesnt work try taking it to a different dealership.

13. Blurr#7

Blurr#7 Contributing Member

It's supposed to be good for 600ft lbs of torque but the clutch well that another story. Driver has more to do with the longevity of that part.
    Rockets>* email me thru the board, I have connections with some performance shops that will most likely give you a better deal if the dealer tries to jack you.

#13 Blurr#7, Jan 31, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 31, 2012
  14. CrazyDave

CrazyDave Contributing Member

Probably the Johnson Rod.

1 person likes this.
  15. rockets > *

rockets > * Member

Thanks for the help guys. The car is at the dealer right now, i emailed one of the service consultants about the document that DOMINATOR posted. Hopefully it gets resolved under warranty. I'm taking a gamble that it's not the clutch. I don't believe it to be because the clutch rides like new (except for the issue with it not wanting to go into second gear). I barely even drive the car as I have a beater I drive daily. If not, there goes $104!

16. rockets > *

rockets > * Member

Sent you an email, Blurr.

17. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Sorry for the problems but thank you for this thread. I've been starring at this salesman's card for a couple of days now thinking about getting a Challenger. I won't be calling him back.

I've had a Dodge with standard transmission for 10 years but it was made by Mitsubishi.

18. rockets > *

rockets > * Member

Don't let my issues steer you away from getting a Challenger, man. I love the car, minor issues and all.

19. Royals Ego

Royals Ego Member

does this happen even if you double clutch?

20. MIAGI99

MIAGI99 Member

WTF! They don't warranty trans after 12K miles? You should have know then not to buy it, lol.