1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Car Advice] Thinking about a Prius

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by PippenAintEZ, May 2, 2008.

Tags:
  1. PippenAintEZ

PippenAintEZ Member

Hey guys, I have been contemplating getting a new Prius, and I figured that I could get get some advice and suggestions, both good and bad, from you guys. Any info at all would be appreciated, first hand experiences, or any good sites or Forums about the car would be great. I figure I should try and get as much information about this car before I make my final decision.

I have a few other cars in mind, such as the Camry Hybrid. The advantage of that car is that it is bigger than the Prius, but then again I am paying about 3,000 more for it. For some reason, I also like the interior of the Prius quite a bit, so I think that is the main selling point for me, and the great gas mileage certainly doesn't hurt. I have also looked at a few luxury cars, but their cheapest models (such as the Infiniti G35 Sedan and Lexus IS 250 and ES350). But after I add the navigation system that I really, really would love, the prices range from 38,000-43,000. Although they are beautiful cars, I just can't justify paying that much for a car right now. Do you guys have any suggestions about the best bang for your buck, something nice with a navigation system (leather is not a must) for max 30,000 drive out.

Again, any and all information is greatly appreciated. And for the reasons above, I am really leaning toward that Prius. Thanks in advance.

2. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

do you do mostly city driving? if not go for a diesel VW

3. PippenAintEZ

PippenAintEZ Member

Yea, I'm in Houston, so I will be driving all around town.

Also, I forget to ask about maintenance costs. Toyota has a pretty nice warranty for it, and I know they make quality cars, but I am always a little paranoid about high maintenance costs, especially for technology in a Prius.

4. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

unless its downtown I don;t think Houston counts as city driving.

5. PippenAintEZ

PippenAintEZ Member

Ok, so I guess it'll be mostly Highway driving, with a little City thrown in there.

6. Oski2005

Oski2005 Contributing Member

Top Gear?

7. Oski2005

Oski2005 Contributing Member

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/LmG05AtNVtM&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/LmG05AtNVtM&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

8. meggoleggo

meggoleggo Contributing Member

Then hybrids won't be as effective for you as they seem. Hybrids are great if you're going to be doing a lot of city driving - traffic, stop lights, etc. But for highway driving, most (if not all) of them switch to gas power anyway.

9. Supermac34

Supermac34 President, Von Wafer Fan Club

I well maintained, gas effecient normal car, will suit your purposes better if mostly driving on the highway. Plus you don't have to dump hundreds of pounds of batteries into the environment over the life of the car.

10. mbiker

mbiker Member

I purchased a Prius 2 years ago. It averages 51mpg for city and Hwy combined. It is definitely a fun car, especially when driving at slow speeds when the battery is powering the car. It sounds like I’m going in stealth mode through the parking lots. The options are pretty cool also. I have the keyless entry and the rear camera. Have not had any problems with the car other than a cracked wind shield.

11. Yonkers

Yonkers Contributing Member

The car makes you grow a vagina, btw. j/k :D
    From all accounts, I hear it's a nice enough car. I don't care for the stylings but the gas mileage seems great. Especially since I just got a new car that gets 11 mpg.

12. mbiker

mbiker Member

The Prius will periodically switch back and forth during highway driving.

13. bnb

bnb Contributing Member

Top Gear is awesome!

14. tigermission1

tigermission1 Contributing Member

I really wish we could get the diesel Mini Cooper stateside. That car reportedly gets better than 50mpg city and 64mpg hwy. I prefer diesel to hybrid any day of the week, I wish we would take a page out of Europe's play book when it comes to diesel. I am aware of the regulations we have here that might make it difficult for some diesel cars, and refining issues, but I think in terms of conservation it's the best solution moving forward. I am one of those people not crazy about hybrids.

15. krnxsnoopy

krnxsnoopy Contributing Member

I love his first line.. British comedy is the best!

*knee slapper* har har

16. PippenAintEZ

PippenAintEZ Member

Thanks for the input guys. I would have loved a little more input (both pros and cons) about the car, but I will continue to do as much research I can. Thanks again.

17. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

I love cars and fuel economy is obviously a huge plus right now, but I just can't recommend buying a Prius over a more traditional high miles per gallon car. There are still so many uncertainties with the battery lifespan and the disposal issue -- a Corolla or Civic seem like a much better and cheaper choice right now. Plus they just look a lot better IMHO. As is mentioned already -- some of the diesel tech is pretty impressive -- though I would stay far, far away from a Mini Cooper.

18. da1

da1 Member

Prius is a GREAT car. I recommend it.

19. Nice Rollin

Nice Rollin Contributing Member

does the WV Polo really give 75 a gallon?

20. PippenAintEZ

PippenAintEZ Member

Alright, another option might be the 2009 Hyundai Sonata. Have any of y'all heard good or bad things about Hyundai, or have personal experiences with them. The price seems really great, but I am worried that you get what you pay for. How is the quality like? I am sure it probably doesn't stand up to let's say Toyota, but could this be a car I can rely upon for 7-10 years?