1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Capela wants $100m/4yrs. Rockets offering $60m/4yrs

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by bmd, Jul 10, 2018.

1. rocketman84

rocketman84 Member

I don’t think he gets $25M even next summer

2. YOLO

YOLO Member

according to cf internet rumors, DJ is coming to play for pennies bc he wants to come home :eek:

malakas likes this.
  3. hakeemthagreat

Other than Davis, he's better defensively than any of those guys including Gobert. Why do ppl here willingly ignore defense when ranking players? Capela is definitely top 5 considering the direction the leagues going

4. malakas

malakas Member

That's what everyone has been saying.
    You can go to realgm to Smitty's excel page and see for next season.
    All good analysts are saying that next summer there will be many teams losers because they will have noone good to spend their money on.

Vivi likes this.
  5. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Thanks I'll look.

Here is what Spotrac has, sorted by Centers and UFA, which is what is relevant for Clint.
    https://www.spotrac.com/nba/free-agents/2019/ufa/center/

Clint would top that list easily.

If you include all players, since teams might rightly say screw centers, let's spend our money on other positions... and its still not amazing.

Klay, Tobias Harris, Kemba, KD (if option), Cousins if he's healthy, Ricky Rubio lol...

Its a VERY small crop of top tier FAs.

Things always change, but yep. Just look at the link above.

That STILL doesn't mean its in Clint's best interest to take the QO.

And it STILL doesn't mean $25 million per year is reasonable or what he'd get next year. He won't.

But it STILL means he has more leverage. He can get insurance for a year, play meaningful, GREAT minutes for the team this year, STILL be viewed as a great top 7-8 center type that fits the role really well, go into an offseason with lots of teams with cap space, with relatively few top tier FAs, and roll the dice. Or... at least use that approach as leverage.

DM's leverage, on the other hand is... "go ahead, see if that works out better for you, because we're just capped and can't pay you more than $[x] a year".... which is a reasonable position when you look at the history of RFA and QO's... but isn't all that compelling as a lay out the situation based comeback negotiating point.

Vivi and malakas like this.
  6. MD_in_Training

He's a great defender against any team not named the Warriors. He's a solid rim protector and above average on the perimeter, but as we saw this postseason, he gets eaten alive on isolation against Curry, Klay, and KD.

lw17 likes this.
  7. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Stay firm Morey. 4/60 is fair value. 4/80 would be an overpay and 100 would be godamn embarrassingly bad.

People are going to **** on Capela so hard if he’s making 20 mill per. He would be viewed as a bad contract immediately and it would only get worse every time he has his too often inconsistent games.

Hakeemtheking and RHU525 like this.
  8. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

He gonna give some of that money to Harden?!

9. Vivi

Vivi Member

This season Nurkic played more games than Capela though, last season he played only 20 but Capela 65...

Anyway, i can actually see the Mavs going after Capela next summer if he takes the qo now, i think it would be better for them to sign Capela at 20M rather than DeAndre at 15.

10. YOLO

YOLO Member

well they listed what was on the link you posted lol. i guess that would of been much easier :eek:

11. acsorelle4

acsorelle4 Member

For a kid that basically lived in an orphanage even though he had a mom, the difference between 60 mil and 100 mil has to be fairly abstract.

12. rocketman84

rocketman84 Member

That’s what we would all think. But it looks like he’s going to max his earning potential.

13. Vivi

Vivi Member

Yeah, centers in that list are not exactly great, but still, what teams will have the need of a role player center which wants to get a max?

14. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Clint actually was out there as one of the better/best switch centers on the perimeter against those guys in the league.

But it didn't matter. Centers aren't going to be able to defend those guys. Hakeem couldn't switch on the perimeter and defend those guys. Might they make them miss a shot here or there, or make a bad decision 1 time out of 10, sure. But Curry, Klay, KD, in that offense... we're not talking John Starks coming off a pick here.

Clint is ABSOLUTELY NOT a better defensive anchor than Gobert. But Gobert ALSO gets taken off the court against the Warriors.

So your point is SPOT ON.

So what are we doing here? Clint is our only compelling trade piece and while he isn't as valuable against GSW, he's still super valuable otherwise.

I'm fine giving him up to a max of $20 million (its not my money!) and if/as necessary using him as trade bait...

15. Know Your Role

Starting at Center for your Houston Rockets...RYAN ANDERRRRSSSSSON

lw17 likes this.
  16. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

I like pictures and uploading files. Contributing member status is awesome.

Attached Files:

17. Milos

Milos Member

To be fair ...
    Clint just finished a PO run in which he CLEARLY out-played both KAT & Rudy Gilbert mano-a-mano over entire, consecutive playoff series

Not sure how you would put together your list of Top 5 Centers, but pretty tough to exclude both KAT & Rudy

My Top 5:
    Embiid
    KAT
    Cousins
    Gobert
    Horford (placeholder for Ayton)

Maybe CC isn't Top 5
    But last year proved when it matters most, he can win a PO matchup vs a Top 5 C
    And he did it twice in a row

18. SeekingAlpha

SeekingAlpha Member

Can people stop saying BJ is his agent?

https://www.12up.com/posts/6112598-...int-capela-s-agent-also-reps-top-paid-big-men

We cannot afford to lose Clint for the next few seasons, period. There is no 45th draft pick nor G-Leaguer coming in and having a top 5 defensive impact for a big man. Given the type of money lesser centers are getting, I think Clint will have no problem getting at least 4/80 next season. Given how cheap the Rockets are acting, I'm feeling the worst case scenario is a team like the Hawks offers a poison pill type contract of 20/25/30 and we lose Capela even for this upcoming season.

19. Nelly

Nelly Contributing Member

So if he gets overpaid, it’s really just a luxury tax/owner problem right? Since we are over the cap anyways. I don’t see why yall care so much about Tillman’s money

20. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Another low-ball offer leading to unhappy players and a likely exit

Solid