1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Capela: To extend or not extend, that is the question

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by basketballholic, Jun 26, 2017.

?

Would you extend Capela and for how much?

1. No. Keep him on a low cap hold and match an offer or negotiate next summer

45.3%
  2. Yes. Extend him at a salary starting around $25 million and hopefully we save a few bucks next summe

1.2%
  3. Yes. But only if we get him to agree to a $20 million first year salary or less

8.1%
  4. Yes. But only if we get him to agree to a $15 million first year salary or less

33.7%
  5. Yes. But only if we get him to agree to $12.5 million first year salary or less

11.6%
  1. basketballholic

RudyTBag likes this.
  2. YOLO

YOLO Member

3. basketballholic

There's more. I'm not going to do all the dirty work.

4. topfive

topfive CF OG

And it's someone who insists we need to dump Harden.

Gotta give credit where credit is due: BH never fails to deliver the laughs.

5. basketballholic

6. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Member

Capela is a keeper for sure.

7. ashleyem

ashleyem Member

Not until we sign another star.

8. YOLO

YOLO Member

Yet you made this thread. That's odd

9. basketballholic

I made this thread to discuss a possible Capela extension. If we acquire a second superstar I suspect we'll try and get an extension done with him by Aug. 22.

10. dfbreyes

dfbreyes Member

I second, yes please keep Clint Capela

[​IMG]

11. fattz

fattz Member

Come on if we can sign him under $15M per then yes push him out 5 yrs last 3 with team options. That is the same as $20M to any other starting center because he only plays about 75% of the time as a most starters do. If we can sign him cheap and make an assist it is a must do; but, don't over pay the part time help.

12. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

I'd extend him for below market value now, but since he's unlikely to accept that then prob would wait to negotiate next summer.

13. MorningZippo

MorningZippo Member

The strawman argument is strong with this one.

Lets just see some of the leaps in logic you're making in this thread alone that are completely wrong.

Capela is good player= Capela is a max player

Capella has potential to play at a higher level than he is currently playing at = Capella is a super star

Capella is not a role player, therefor, he must be a superstar.

I could go on, but if addressed everything you wrote that was blatent bullshit, I'd have to quit work for a week.

dmoneybangbang and topfive like this.
  14. basketballholic

LOL. I don't think Capela is a max player or even a star player. But I've only got one opinion. I'm not the majority. Nut the majority of us means anything either.

But it's a good question to consider. If Capela were an unrestricted free agent on July 1, who would go after him an what would they offer? Remember Noel is a free agent, restricted. And there's bigs like Drummond getting the max. Lopez got 3/60 a couple years ago and everybody dogs him. Mozgov, Biyombi and others cashed in last summer. Mahinmi? Noah? Is Capela worth more than them?

15. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Folks were overspending last year for various reasons. I expect that stuff to settle down.

I'd hope to get him around 15 million a season when all is said and done. It seems we are going to be operating over the cap soon anyway, so it really doesn't matter. If you snag Chris Paul and Paul George, you pay whatever you have to pay to keep Clint Capela, and you start hustling on finding cheap young prospects/old vets to fill the void we will have depth wise.

The nice thing about using Clint's bird rights to sign him to a decent sized deal is that we could potentially use him as a hefty trade chip down the line.

16. YaoMing#1

YaoMing#1 Member

If we do sign say cp3 and don't land another star player this offseason. It's actually smart business to lock Capela into a extension.

It's another asset on a locked up contract that I would think would be below market value for starting level centers, especially ones under 25 years of age.

Whether you think Steven Adams is better than Capela or not I still would take Clint at 15-17m a year over 25m a year to Adams. Quite frankly that's just a bad contract.

Assuming Capela adds onto his numbers, meaning he plays 28-30min a game rather than 24. It should be no problem for him to get 15/10/2. In fact if we land cp3 he might score a little more.

At that production even if his game is the same you can always find someone that will take him as the center piece of a trade.

Capela is a wild card to me. This is his make or break year. I don't doubt that he can put up good looking numbers but he has to take that step into his numbers actually meaning something.

If it doesn't happen this year Morey should cash in on the trade market for Clint and him being extended would actually help that out.

17. basketballholic

I'm wondering if him being extended, especially at five years, would make him a better trade asset. I'm leaning that way right now.

#57 basketballholic, Jun 27, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 27, 2017
    joshuaao likes this.
  18. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

This is not a debatable question at all. If it's not a star, then you wait till they're restricted.

RudyTBag and saleem like this.
  19. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

20. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

That seems to always be the case, and Morey has even stated in the past that it is "Team Policy" or something of that nature.