1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Capela signs 5yr, $80mil deal ($90M w/ incentives) with the Rockets

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Fullcourt, Jul 27, 2018.

1. RayRay10

RayRay10 Houstonian

This guy fits the Anthony Mason Point-Forward type. Not sure if Milwaukee would be willing to part with Middleton though unless he's unhappy.

[​IMG]

2. DVauthrin

DVauthrin Contributing Member

Since when did Batum become injury prone? He’s played in 73, 82, 71, 70 and 64 games the last five seasons. Also, did Ariza move the needle against the Warriors? Because Batum is a similar player. Furthermore, I never said to trade Melton to get Batum. It would be Anderson for Batum straight up (with possibly a sweetner added in by the Hornets).

Finally, as I’ve stated on numerous occasions, the Rockets have 97 million committed per year to Capela, CP3 and Harden during the duration of Anderson’s or Batum’s deals (possibly more depending on if Capela achieves some of his incentives). Whether they move Anderson for salary relief or trade him for a more useful player, the Rockets will be in cap hell during the remainder of the CP3-Harden era.

3. rocketseagles07

Middleton isn’t going anywhere.

I’m good with baze, Batum just gonna get everyone hyped up for nothing. Too injury prone

4. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Came in this thread looking for this GIF.

Clutchfans does not disappoint!

PhilCollins and mockster like this.
  5. kevtse

kevtse Member

Ok he got the money now. Can he finally play 35mins per game? Why was he not able to play 30+ mins?

6. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

SOOOOOO many people were talking about Capela getting the max last year.

It was obvious from the start, looking at the NBA landscape of supply and demand, coupled with RFA status that Capela was going to be brought back at a team friendly value.

It is not about what a player is worth. It is what the MARKET will dictate.

So many impatient people. Morey knew how to navigate this landscape.

7. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Thanks...

Could you address how likely incentives factor into trades wrt calculating player salary for matching purposes (or necessary cap room for receiving team). Do they count in trades, and, if unlikely for the receiving team, do the WCF bonuses count.

8. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

If you want to play a guy for 72 M with an Achilles injury, that's your choice. Since Batum is somewhat similar, but a more talented player than Ariza, why do you think he is needed on the Rockets? I never meant to imply, that you wanted to move Melton for him.
    The Hornets aren't likely to add a sweetner for RA, despite saving money. RA is a very bitter pill to swallow for anyone.

9. heypartner

He played 31 mpg and 33 mpg vs KAT and Gobert in the playoffs ... and embarrassed them.

I think that means MDA was keeping him down throughout the year to make sure he could destroy guys like KAT and Gobert on regular minutes in the playoffs. Now that we know he can do it, maybe they won't watch his minutes as much this year.

btw: Only two centers got 35 mpg last year, and only 3 more than 33.0
    • Cousins 36.2
    • KAT 35.6
    • Drummons 33.7
    I look for Clint to get DJ minutes in the 31-33 range.​

10. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

I haven't watched batum play recently . I remember when he was in Portland, he was Otto porter before Otto porter , while being a better ball handler and passer and a slightly worse shooter .

If injuries have robbed him of some of his athleticism, then I'll pass . He's got a nightmare contract and we'd be banking on him playing a lot better with Harden / CP3

11. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

12. DVauthrin

DVauthrin Contributing Member

Batum missed games with a sore achilles towards the end of last season, with the Hornets eliminated from playoff contention. That’s not an injury to be concerned about. It’s certainly not a ruptured achilles, which DeMarcus Cousins is trying to come back from.

As for why the Rockets need a player like him, Ariza’s defense was a key component in winning 65 games in the regular season, getting homecourt advantage throughout the playoffs and being in a position to beat the Warriors in the playoffs if CP3 doesn’t get hurt. So, a replacement would be nice. Batum is capable of being that replacement.

Finally, I would do Batum for Anderson straight up, but if Charlotte wants out of Batum’s 27 million player option in 2020-2021, they’ll be including an asset of some kind.

RudyTBag likes this.
  13. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

Cap hit doesn’t change until the end of the season, even for a trade. At the end of the season, it will be determined whether incentives were actually achieved, and the cap hit altered at that point. Then incentives for the next season will be characterized as “likely” or “unlikely” based on whether they were achieved in the just-finished season.

slothy420 and Invisible Fan like this.
  14. heypartner

So you are saying only the Base Salary is used in trades to determine if the receiving team can fit the player in room or via a TPE.

Invisible Fan likes this.
  15. Pole

Pole Houston Rockets--Tilman Fertitta's latest mess.

I really like Clint, and I get a bit annoyed with Harden, but this statement is so true. I'd love to see stats on how many points Clint scored off of Harden feeds. I bet it's upwards of 50%. You can't teach size, and you can see that Capela is putting in the work; maybe he'll develop into an elite 4/5 one day, but this is a nice contract, and a GREAT situation for him to be in. Getting trained by Hakeem and spoonfed from Harden and CP3 on a legitimate contending team.

Deckard likes this.
  16. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

If Batum does get back to full fitness, The Hornets probably would have less incentive to trade him, unless they want to save money.
    I still have a hard time thinking that they would trade Batum for Anderson. I think they would want assets too eg, a pick plus a player with promise. Their talent acquisition however, has been quite poor. Only Kemba Walker is a world class player on their team.

17. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

No. Regular Salary plus Likely Incentives (which were determined as of the start of that season) count against the cap on both sides of the trade.

18. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Wow! A member since 2002 and 14 posts? Don't be such a stranger. I joined earlier that year and have an absurd number of posts in comparison (you're lucky - if I'd kept lurking, I'd have more hair on top of my head), but we're in the same place today. Celebration time! :cool:

bballjunkie likes this.
  19. topfive

topfive CF OG

Lots of CF OGs showing up in this thread. The '99-'02 folks approve of this contract!

Invisible Fan and Deckard like this.
  20. heypartner

OK. That's what I thought, but read your last explanation wrong, I guess.

So, that covers Team Performance incentives too? Once the $1m WCF Likeliness is set at start of the season (i.e. did Rockets reach WCF previous yr), it counts in the trade regardless to whether the receiving team was a Conf Finals team or not?

I have trouble posting clear questions to you a lot. The simple question above is trying to address whether Team Performance likeliness can change as part of a trade. I'm anticipating this question arising on the BBS at some time in the next 5 yrs.

I guess another way to ask the question is to make a declarative statement and you correct it:

Since the Rockets made the WCF, if Rockets trade Capela to a top 4 team next year, the receiving team has to include the $1m WCF incentive in its salary matching; however, if we trade him to non Conf-finals teams, the $1m is not included in Salary-matching.

Is that true or false. :)