1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Cancel Lebron..The Rockets need to focus on Paul George

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by hakeemthagreat, May 29, 2018.

1. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

George ain't coming here. He likely has no interest and the Rockets don't have the cap flexibility. LeBron can opt in and be traded here, so at least that's a possibility.

2. Reeko

Reeko Member

I wonder if Morey could finesse a trade for somebody like Tobias Harris if we miss out on Lebron and have to go the route of just looking to bolster the rotation with very solid players

Chanmarr, hakeem94 and Deuce like this.
  3. jimmyv281

jimmyv281 Member

Lebron or bust we forget Iggy on the warriors was out as well.

4. Matt78777

Matt78777 Contributing Member

Never mind that PG makes less sense than Lebron in terms of cap, after these playoffs people are really looking at PG as a better option than Lebron? Yes I guess they are both all-stars, but if anything the postseason has shown that if you have a chance at Lebron, he's option 1A and PG is...well, not.

That being said, seems like a lot of people are discounting how difficult this offseason will be. it'll be hard to get Lebron, as countless people have laid out. It's more likely he doesn't come then he does. After that, Rockets options are basically to (1) resign most everyone by paying through the nose, and hope you hit on a few more contributors on min deals and have better injury luck, or (2) trade a few guys for players that fit better around CP3 and Harden. Option 2 will hurt. At best it means trading Ryno and assets for a worse contract but a better player (Love? Batum?). More realistically, it would mean a sign and trade involving Capela for a non-big, with the idea that although Capela is good and getting better, Houston's final form in the playoffs doesn't involve a big and therefore investing a lot in one doesn't make sense. Better off going with a vet min starting all season and soaking up minutes, then changing lineup in the playoffs against higher competition (like what gsw does).

EDIT: wasn't done posting accidentally hit send.

hakeem94 and D-rock like this.
  5. Cstyle42

Cstyle42 Member

Iggy didn't matter. Bunch of a bs!

Manos, lw17 and jevjnd like this.
  6. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Bron or bust, I have no interest in Paul George.

7. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

Shut up, Steve.

Stop trolling other team's forums, you classless clown.

jevjnd likes this.
  8. 1Deep

1Deep Member

If we could just turn Ryno's contract into a couple of dependable rotation guys I'd be happy.
    Adding LeBron or PG seems like a pipe dream to me.
    If nothing else this season has proved the importance of having depth.

hakeem94 likes this.
  9. hakeemthagreat

Lmao. The REAL question is why would CP3 & PG go to LA? The Lakers suck and won't be competitive even with 2 superstars. The Rockets are the next best thing outside of Golden State & have a coach that every player would want to play for. Harden & PG are also LA guys too. Theres more to play for here than there is for the Lakers

Manos likes this.
  10. topfive

topfive CF OG

[​IMG]

Lord Murray works in mysterious ways.

hakeem94, lw17, D-rock and 2 others like this.
  11. hakeemthagreat

You should check who he's playing next too. We have a system tailor made for Paul George. All he has do is defend & hit open 3's.

Manos and D-rock like this.
  12. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Contributing Member

true last time OKC traded away a player who wore #13 to us it didnt really work out well for them

hakeem94 and jevjnd like this.
  13. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

PG13 is a playmaker?

Rocket River
    who knew

14. igotwhipscollectingdust

Rockets aren’t competing next year without a superstar

15. macan

macan Member

either one of them would be a huge upgrade on the 3.
    since CP is good friend with Lebrick, i guess that's more likely to happen

16. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

I mean...if Chris Paul stays healthy, they likely win the series and the Finals.

It would be nice to have some insurance, but no, I don't think that is true. They need another piece or two to replace Ryno, but they are obviously competitive without that.

17. igotwhipscollectingdust

The league will be a lot more competitive next season. Lebron will land on a better team, PG will be on the move, Kawhi either returns to the Spurs or heads elsewhere, ditto for Cousins, the Celtics might be the best team in the league, and the Warriors might retool.

justtxyank likes this.
  18. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

This, exactly this. This same Rockets team will also be older and you can't expect the same production. I mean maybe you get it, but you can't count on it.

If we don't get better we can't expect to win it all.

19. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Yes, sure, all those things might happen. The Rockets might have tougher overall competition next year. But they won 65 games and took the Warriors to 7. If our worst case scenario is bringing back that team, then I'm comfortable with that.

You can't count on it, but you can't count it out, either. Rockets will come back, and if they stay healthy, they will be hungry and once again a 60+ win team with an elite offense and a strong defense. Rockets are a vet team, but I don't think anybody in our rotation is old enough to really expect a huge drop-off.

I'm not saying they should just run it back, though. They should do everything they can to shed Ryno and add a contributing piece. But I disagree with the notion that the Rockets are immediately more vulnerable if they don't. This team, as constructed, is capable of beating any team in the league in a 7 game series, as has been proven, with the only teams I can see that match or exceed them in talent being the Warriors and Celtics.

Once again...this all depends on health.

Manos likes this.
  20. Vivi

Vivi Member

Paul George might be even better than Lebron for some aspects, he's younger, on par with James age instead that with Chris, a bit more natural off ball player and better shooter, also costantly playing defense which is something Lebron does only when it matters and maybe not always anyway. Another thing to consider is that winning with Lebron might kinda turn a championship in some sort of "Lebron's chip with his third team" more than "Rockets have won the championship".

But, Lebron in the end is a better player than George, brings some leadership, winning mentality, respect by the refs/league...and on the court, with him at the 4 (and maybe even at the 5 in some matchups) we would have the talent, passing, court vision that we really lack as today imo, George wouldn't bring that, or at least not even close to that level.

And like others said, for one reason or another (Presti getting screwed with Harden, being forced to gut the team, George having interest in L.A.) i just don't feel like there's a chance to get him at this point...with Lebron we have his connection with Chris, he just cares about winning at this point, the chance to do a sign & trade with the Cavs, it just feels more likely.

In the scenario where we're not able to get any of them i don't know...

- with Kawhi we've realistically no chance

- sign & trade for Boogie...i just don't see that cause it's still a risky move for us, in terms of fit but also because of his injury...we would've to trade back Ryan and/or Gordon to New Orleans plus fillers, picks...i'm a fan of Boogie as a player but i'm just not sure it's worth it at this point

- Melo can stay where he choosed to be

- Butler will be an expiring just like Kawhi, i wonder what's going to happen in Minnie this summer, if they'll make a big move, more than one...but i don't see Butler getting moved, maybe at the deadline, and unless he asks to be traded here well, we don't have the assets

- Love if Lebron bolts and doesn't come here (personally not a fan though)

- Tobias Harris, basically a younger, less talented but also less stupid Melo

- Ibaka, same contract as Ryan basically, he has not been very good either but at least he shouldn't have problems shooting at the Toyota Center...ugh

- Millsap, i wonder what Denver is going to do, especially since they did worse than expected this season...and their cap situation isn't exactly amazing, Jokic is going to get paid this summer, they just resigned Harris, Barton is a free agent and will probably get at least a MLE kind of money, Chandler still gets 12M and i don't think they can afford to lose him...Faried and Arthur eat 20M in salary and they're pretty much dead weights, Plumlee with two years left at 13M is probably really hard to move too, Murray will get paid too in a couple of years...

D-rock and jevjnd like this.