1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Can you be a true Rockets fan and also root for the Spurs as your 2nd favorite team?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by tanviraman, May 16, 2008.

1. tanviraman

tanviraman Contributing Member

This topic has gotten heated on the other board and it's almost turned into a Spurs fan board vs Rockets fan board. As a die hard Rockets fan from 1984, I feel the Spurs have always been a division rival. If another team is your rival, you do not root for them unless it benefits your own team. Or if you hate one rival more than the other. Jazz, Mavs, Lakers, Spurs. You should dislike them but in no particular order. I think most Rockets fans are rooting for New Orleans, but if you are rooting for the Spurs because you hate New Orleans more-no big deal. But if you admit the Spurs to be your 2nd favorite team, that is a fundamental problem to me.

A true Longhorns fan is never going to support the Aggies, a Sox fan is never going to support the Yankees.

Do you think a Man U fan would support say Chelsea or Arsenal, if they were in the Champions League finals against Barcelona.

"They are a fellow British team, let's support them."No way in hell that would ever happen.

Our rivalry is not as fierce, but we were in a tight division race with them this year and have been competitive in the regular season the last 2 years. And to me, rooting for them and admiting you are a fan of any sort is not right.

What is your Rockets fan opinion in this matter?

2. ibm

ibm Member

i don't think the talk on the dish was "heated". and the answer to your question is certainly a yes.

people, especially true basketball fans, have a secondary team to root for all times.

3. ibm

ibm Member

why don't you put up a simple poll.

4. T.Mcgrady

T.Mcgrady Member

Yes.... what kind of ass would rag on you for rooting for another team. You see alot of people supporting the Cowboys in Houston... nothing wrong with it.

5. clos4life

clos4life Member

As long as your 2nd team is not named Mavericks, Jazz or Lakers AND the Rockets have been eliminated...then yeah, it's ok.

A little clarification, when choosing amongst our worse hated enemies, always cheer for the team playing against the Jazz.

So in this case, yeah, go Spurs. Show those upstarts what champions are made off.

6. tanviraman

So you would have no problem with a Rockets fan being a fan of the Jazz or Mavs second?

7. ibm

ibm Member

things can change over time.

i've rooted for the lakers in the past, now they're on my "hate" list.

8. Lil Pun

Lil Pun Contributing Member

Hell to the no!

9. LFE171

LFE171 Member

I'm guessing this is a response to mlwoo's thread on "go spurs go" eh?

Hmm...I'll have to say "F- the Spurs"

10. AntiSonic

AntiSonic Member

I never really got all the Spurs hate. Sure, Robinson stole Hakeem's MVP and Dusty Garza stole Clutch's code, but both of those infractions were swiftly rectified.

11. BleedsRocketRed

The reason why I don't mind the Spurs is because they have never given us any problems when it mattered. The one year we ran into them was in 95, and we a special somebody who simply owned them with no remorse.

Now the Mavericks on the other hand is a different story.

Back when the NBA was split up into 4 divisions instead of the 6 now, we had Utah in our bracket along with Denver. Those two teams at the time were probably my most hated division rivals. Utah for obvious reasons, and Denver because they always had our number in the regular season when they were so bad.

12. tanviraman

I agree. I posted this on the other thread.

Look at it from a Spurs Fan's viewpoint in 1996. When we were down 0-2 to the Sonics and eventually were dethroned and swept by Seattle, true Spurs Fans were cheering for the Sonics and ecstatic. The Rockets would not Three-peat and the Spurs-fans were happy and relieved of some of their pain from the Rockets beating them the year before and crushing their Championship hopes.

If you consider the Spurs a rival which they clearly are, you should not support them. If you don't, then support the Rockets, Spurs, and whoever else you want.

13. Tonaaayyyy

Tonaaayyyy Member

what he said...as long as it's not the mavs, then you're ok :cool:

[​IMG]

14. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

I don't have a grudge against the Spurs like a lot of Rockets fans. I happen to like Ginobili and Duncan a lot. But, it's hard to root for a team that's always successful (unless they're your team). I hope they play a competitive game 7 in New Orleans, and I hope they lose.

15. ssp0929

ssp0929 Member

I dont care. We're out of the playoffs. I don't respect the Spurs as a team, but as a franchise they are respectable.

16. kwng

kwng Member

I am sorry .. I only support the Rockets :D

17. LongTimeFan

LongTimeFan Contributing Member

Hell no. Traitors.

18. blathersby

blathersby Contributing Member

Yes. The Spurs are my second favorite team in the NBA. I own a Spurs baseball cap.

Two words: TIM DUNCAN. That's all you need to know.

19. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

No. At least I can't.

20. ReD_1

ReD_1 Rookie

Urmm no, I've always hated any team that plays against Rockets especially Utah, LA and SA.