1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Can we talk about Tony Kemp?

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Hey Now!, Jun 19, 2015.

1. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

I'm not by any means steeped in minor league projections, etc. - but how impressive, if at all, is Kemp's seemingly boundless on-base skills? .457 this year, including .462 in Fresno (granted: 9-game sample size). .409 overall in 3 ML seasons.

I saw him play earlier this year in Corpus: little guy, fast as all get-out. Is he an Altuve clone? I looked back at Jose's ML numbers: .386 OB% and he walked ever-so slightly more often than he has in the Majors.

It appears he has a skill that this line-up seemingly needs. (And I say "seemingly" because I'm not going to try and wrap my head around the organization's approach to hitting, which, while not overly complicated, is nonetheless probably more progressive and different than my more "conventional" approach.)

I would love to know how this regime values Kemp; especially vis-a-vis Altuve and, possibly, Rasmus (ie the LF).

2. MrBear1

MrBear1 Contributing Member

Different player than Altuve imo. More patient hitter, less power and maybe slightly less speed.

3. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

When it comes to comparing Kemp and Altuve...all I care about is OBP.

If Kemp can carry a higher OBP compared to Altuve, that's who I want on the MLB roster. Both have good enough speed to make things happen when on the bases, so it's just important that they are on the bases.

4. DoitDickau

DoitDickau Contributing Member

Sounds like the perfect super-utility guy to me. Someone who can allow the astros the flexibility to carry 13 pitchers while getting 200+ at bats in a bench role.

5. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

Kemp is looking to be an everyday second baseman who can be a lead off hitter.

6. bobloblaw

bobloblaw Contributing Member

I think eventually the Astros are moving him to the OF. If he can put up a high OBP I'd take him over Altuve at 2B. However, I don't see it happening anytime soon due to Jose's batting title and being a fan favorite.

7. Rockets25

Rockets25 Member

I'm not sure we'll ever see him with the Astros. If we make a deal for a starting pitcher I think it'll be hard to keep him out of it.

8. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

If his bat plays in the majors, I think he could get 400+ plate appearances in a bench role. Astros would likely need a LF that can backup CF and/or RF, like Rasmus. I've not seen Kemp in CF, but he likely has range for it. The arm would likely make his CF play limited. Other bench guy would need to be able to play SS and 3B.

9. rocketpower2

rocketpower2 Member

Trading Altuve anytime soon would be a PR nightmare unfortunately. I'm all for it though.

10. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Not if we make the playoffs for the first time in a decade. Altuve would be all but forgotten.

If it makes the team better, do it.

11. Scolalist

Scolalist Member

I don't know how anyone can even consider that. Astros won't make the playoffs without Altuve catching fire.

12. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

It's possible; his slump, more or less, started May 1 (when his BA topped out at .376) and the team is 21-20 since.

But it's also a different team. Springer seems to have gotten back on track and may be elevating his game while Correa is here and delivering on his enormous potential. They've won five straight without Altuve playing/contributing, and while it's an obviously small sample size... the team seems to be OK.

13. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

Definitely intrigued by Kemp. I hope he gets a call up if Altuve goes to the DL.

14. cangrejero51

cangrejero51 Member

First of, Kemp hits left handed.
    He walks a lot, and does not K much. Altuve is better defensively, but Kemp is a little above average with a weak arm at 2b. He will steal bases but not the same speed as Altuve. His average will not be as high, but OBP will be much better, unless Altuve hits over .330.

For our team i think if Kemp is able to hit .280, a much better leadoff hitter, and from the left side, than Altuve.

1. Kemp 2b
    2. Correa ss
    3. Springer rf
    4. Gattis dh
    5. Tucker lf
    6. Carter 1b
    7. Lowrie/Valbuena 3b
    8. Marinisek cf
    9. Castro c

With Rasmus playing a lot in LF and CF

I really really like this guy

15. cangrejero51

cangrejero51 Member

Yes, but then we lost Lowrie. Now we have Correa, who i think will help much more than Altuve will ever do.

16. dockerland

dockerland Contributing Member

17. cangrejero51

cangrejero51 Member

18. conquistador#11

It's always nice to have prospects. It was in 2004, when I had this theory that Alberto Pujols was Artificial Intelligence that I came up on an article. I can't remember if it was SI or Espn but it stated that out every farm system, only 3 prospects on average ever make it to the big league to have a major impact.

Altuve has already beaten the odds winning awards and never being a prospect.

It's just funny to think the astros, a baseball organization doesn't value the art of baseball.

A "single's hitter" who can steal is worth 1 run, the same as a solo homer.
    A "single's hitter" who can hit a single with 2 men in scoring position is worth 2 runs. The percentage of hitting a single with men on base is higher than hitting a homer with men on base.
    People want to act that we hit solo homers by design. It might appear that way but it's not. The reason we're winning is because the defense and pitching have been stellar.

Maybe we can package Kemp and singleton for a high quality Arm still in his 20s. Now that would be great and taking advantage of the farm system.

19. Major

Major Member

What? :confused:

20. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

This part is flat out untrue.

I'm not entirely sure what point you are trying to make. Last year Altuve was spectacular, nobody will ever question that. In his other 4 seasons he has posted OBP's of .297,.340,.316, and .328 for a collective OBP of .323. That is simply not a good number for a person with minimal power. He can only get on base if he hits for an extremely high average, which thus far he hasn't been able to do.

No good team will value a player that hits a lot of singles but can't maintain a good OBP, this isn't 1970. We hit a lot of solo HR because nobody (except Springer) has been getting on base frequently, Altuve included.

As for Kemp, I love guys that get on base, and he has done that throughout the minors. i really don't like to give up on guys like that. I would love to see him if Altuve goes to the DL, but otherwise he may be stuck in purgatory. Bregman may may him expendable long term. Altuve isn't going anywhere this year, nor should he, but if he can't show some return to last years form I could see him moved in the offseason.