1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Can We Survive Defensively?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by 1Deep, Jul 20, 2015.

1. 1Deep

1Deep Member

First off...I love the trade for Lawson and think he at the very least brings us closer to the overall talent level of teams like the Warriors..Spurs...Clippers and Cavs.

The question I have concerns DEFENSE..

We all saw Harden improve defensively last season and he deserves credit for giving the effort needed to make that improvement, but I use to live in Denver and I know for a fact that Lawson is not a good defender mainly because of his size. We could possibly have one of the worst Defensive back courts in the NBA.

What do you guys think? Can we hide our guards defensive issues or are we going to have to try out score teams?

2. cebu

cebu Member

Bevbaby.

3. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

The team is no worse defensively then they were last season.

4. mockster

mockster Member

That's why we have Bev

5. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

Upgraded our offense without losing any on defense

6. RocketFire

RocketFire Member

You do remember us playing Terry and Pablo in the whole playoffs against Mavs, Clippers, and Warriors and I believe we played good defense. We will be alright and when we need defensive matchup than we play Bev more minutes.

7. 1Deep

1Deep Member

Yes, I remember playing Terry and Pablo, but I don't remember that good defense you speak of. I recall giving up some of the highest scoring playoff games in recent memory.

Before everyone anoints Bev as our defensive savior I ask that you please review the Orlando game tape from last season. Elfrid Payton says hi...

8. Cstyle42

Cstyle42 Member

That's what our opponents should be asking themselves.

9. RocketsJumer

RocketsJumer Member

Lawson has to be better defensively than Lin, and old men Terry and Prigs.

Not hard to do, I don't think.

I really think it makes perfect sense that Bev starts and Lawson comes of the bench. Let Lawson have starter minutes and control over the 2nd unit. I don't see it happening unless Lawson say he will be willing and happy to do so, but that would great help the balance on our team.

10. txn

txn Member

Did you ask this question to yourself last season? If you did, well, you got the answer at the end :)

11. mac_got_this

mac_got_this Member

Lin wasnt a bad defender....a bad decision maker sure

12. ooooaaaah!

ooooaaaah! Member

Lawson is actually a decent defender. Remember Chris Paul is the premiere perimeter defender (statistically speaking) and he is not that tall. Lawson is 195 pounds, so he can push guys around and prevent them from getting to their spots. Lawson's issue is that he stopped caring about playing D, also he is carrying 10 pounds of alcohol weight. He has already wasted a good portion of the off season drinking and going to rehab but it the long run this is hopefully the wake up call he needs.

Lawson can defend, if he wants to.

13. BleedRocketsRed

BleedRocketsRed Contributing Member

Bev wasn't even a good defender last season.

With Dwight anchoring, we'll be fine.

14. Bezzle

Bezzle Member

I understand that everyone is pretty antsy to see the team play at full strength, but can we get through at least 2-3 games before we call ourselves the worst defense in the league? Until Lawson visibly buys into the system on both ends, I reserve my opinion to ridicule our defense before opening day tip-off.

15. arubato

arubato Member

Sharing the offensive responsibility for both Harden and Lawson will give them enough energy to be average defenders.

16. rocketseagles07

In addition to what everyone else said I think we'll see a lot of harden and bev/lawson and brewer or kj together than people think. No matter which way you spin it despite beards defensive improvement him and Lawson are not gonna be good together

17. jump shooter

jump shooter Contributing Member

The real question is have they hired some more defensive coaching help?

18. TheRealAllpro

TheRealAllpro Morey only fan

Answer: Howard, Ariza, Beverley, McDaniels, Capela, Motiejunas, Brewer

19. SS0101

SS0101 Member

I think it had a lot to do with Beverley's role last year. With Lawson Beverley can go back to doing what he does best.

20. flamingdts

flamingdts Member

Actually, our defense should technically improve from this.

Logically, our team becomes deeper and with another year for our young guys, they become better as well. That means our starting unit should be getting less minutes in general.

Harden could afford to take more plays off offensively, which should help him focus more on defensive possessions. He was noticeably better defensively last season, but near the end of the season he dropped off a little bit after putting the team on his shoulders for so long.