1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Can we hire Calvin as FT coach?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by TheresTheDagger, Apr 5, 2015.

1. TheresTheDagger

Good lord. Our front court is probably shooting the worst FT% in NBA history. Get Dwight, Josh, Clint, Joey, and DMo in the gym and shoot 500 a day this summer. Its embarrassing how bad they are.

2. tehG l i d e

tehG l i d e Member

You forgot Jones. Choked 2 free throws down the stretch today.

3. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Jones and D-mo have good enough touch that I can easily see them around 70%, so some coaching could help. Capela also, despite his garbage start in the NBA, he proved to be competent in the Valley. He just needs to sink that first one.

Howard, Smith and Dorsey just suck. At this point in their career they have tried every strategy and witch doctor known to man. For whatever reason they can't turn practice makes into game makes. Dorsey is one of the worst ever, he's a joke.

4. ClutchCityReturns

ClutchCityReturns Contributing Member

It boggles my mind how these guys can be this bad season after season. They're paid millions of dollars and they can't even make half of their free throws.

And don't get me started on the "but they're too muscular and their hands are huge" argument. Karl Malone, Kevin Willis, Otis Thorpe, et al. could go rep for rep with all these guys in the weight room and they all managed to hover around 70%. It's about effort and repetition, not your build.

5. cheke64

cheke64 Member

Too much money. Ball boy stays

6. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Calvin is a small guard and may not understand the challenges that big guys have with learning to shoot FTs.

Why don't we hire a big guy who learned to make free throws to coach our bigs on making free throws? Does Kevin McHale know anybody who fits that description?

7. mkahanek

mkahanek Member

If Yao could shoot damn near 90% and tip the scales at 300 there is no excuse for these guys.

8. WhoMikeJames

WhoMikeJames Contributing Member

It's absolutely pathetic for guys like Dorsey to shoot 30%.

What the hell have you been doing in practice for your whole life.

9. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

It is unprofessional, these guys need to work on their craft.

DD

10. vstexas09

vstexas09 Contributing Member

It seriously irritates me seeing Joey start smirking when he's about to shoot. Dude, you're getting paid 2 mil. Are you kidding me right now?

We should call Yao up and teach these fools.

11. JazzLakerHater

It's terrible, but on the bright side at least Dorsey and Capella won't be in the playoff rotation when we get DMo back.

12. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

Yao and the other big guys with a good FT% shoot with a wrist action, a proper basketball shot. The big guys who struggle shot more with their arms, a push shot.

13. SLRokJok

SLRokJok Member

Its pretty pathetic to see. Dorsey can't even make shots at the rim.

14. hakeemthagreat

Well teams are gonna simply play hack a Howard/Dorsey/Jones in the playoffs. So get used to it

15. tws011

tws011 Member

I doubt the Rockets haven't thought of it.

16. djperm

djperm Contributing Member

Fair point! If Chuck Hayes can improve his free throws with the Rox, I have hope for this roster. I forgot who helped him? If Calvin is to be the FT coach, then he should have the right to pick out the players wardrobe and daily outfit if they don't meet their weekly goals etc :p

If these players were to hit at least 200-300's free throw every practice, I wouldn't be surprised to see their % increase just by sheer repetition however one challenge would be to find a way to actually enjoy hitting that many free throws...

17. djperm

djperm Contributing Member

True mechanics are also very important however very challenging to change after many years of habit.

18. bongman

bongman Member

It's all mental. What we need is to have shrink change their mental process when they are on the game.

19. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Well, we have that Hakeem guy. But in reality, Calvin has probably already worked with many of these guys.

20. Pistol Pete

Pistol Pete Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

We have the only team in history where half of our players would rather plead that they were not in the act of shooting when they were fouled.