1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Can we give Posey some love please!

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DearRock, Jan 9, 2003.

1. DearRock

DearRock Contributing Member

There are number of good things that we have seen with our team lately. Some of them include Posey's defense, his speed on the break and his finishing abilty. All of this excites me and when I see what he did with TMac last night, defensively, I am a little more comfortable with our ability to matchup with Kobe.

2. zenkle

zenkle Member

If Kobe shoots twelve three pointers in one night, nobody can match up with him......

But anyway, Posey is valuable for sure.

3. cmellon

cmellon Member

I didn't watch the game yesterday. Actually I want to ask if Rockets defense is really that good. I keep hearing that it's because the shots just did not fall in even though Magic has wide open jumpers look. Look at postgame quotes from TMac and Magic's coach. I also read the same analysis at Yao Ming Mania website from the webmaster.

Nonetheless, I LOVE POSEY!!
    Keep up the good work buddy.

4. DearRock

It is true that some of their shots did not fall but there is no denying that the Rocks played great defense. Look at the play of Cat, Steve, EG, Ming, Posey and Cato. Even Moochie. That cannot be denied. There were numerous spectacular defensive plays but the one I liked the most was Tmac trying to cross up Posey who promptly stole the ball.

5. cmellon

cmellon Member

I know that Posey plays a good defense. But in yesterday's game, wasn't Posey playing like 18 minutes with 5 fouls and 3 TOs? Somebody else must have played really good defense then, especially on TMac.

6. Sonny

Sonny Contributing Member

He is getting much love from me, I started the first fan club.

The Posey Posse Outlaw's. :)

7. DearRock

Mellon, I think a look at Tmac stats speaks volumes about the defense Posey and MObes played.

8. spence99

spence99 Member

The Rockets played awesome defense down low in the 1st quarter - Griffin and Yao blocked almost everything down low. From then on, Orlando was scared to go down low. I think that is why they shot so poorly - they shot outside shots all night long.

Posey is awesome! I don't think last night was one of his highlight games playing defense, but he was still good. I love Posey and I think he is a perfect fit for this team. We need to make sure we resign him.

9. studogg

studogg Contributing Member

ok ok already, let me just put some lipstick on and then I will make out with him

10. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

No one wants to admit it, but the Rockets are a pretty good defensive team.

They are 4th in points allowed at 88.8 (which is not the result of a slow down offense since they are 17th in field goals allowed, 81.5).

They are 6th in opponent's field goal percentage at 42.3%.

They are 4th in opponent 3-pointer percentage at 32%.

They are 3rd in opponent points per shot at 1.09.

They are the 3rd best rebounding team, getting 52.3% of all available rebounds. They are 5th on offensive rebound percentage and tied for 7th in defensive rebound percentage.

They are 7th in assists allowed, 19.8.

They are 24th in steals, 7.1, which is admittedly not good. They are also dead last in forcing turnovers at 12.5. I guess they play straight-up honest defense.

They are 3rd in blocks, 6.5.

They are 2nd in free throws allowed at 20.8, so they aren't fouling very much.

Opponents may like to say, "Oh, the shots just weren't falling for us tonight," and it may occassionally be true. But, to get such statistically solid numbers on defensive categories, it just can't be that the Rockets keep catching teams on bad shooting nights. They control the defensive paint, keep teams from getting too many second chances, and force them into low percentage shots. I don't think this is just Posey or Eddie. Our guys are doing a good job across the board of making it difficult for opposing offenses to get the open shots.

11. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

JPo is a good defender, but the energy he brings makes the Rox better defenders.

If he could shoot he'd be getting a gabillion dollar deal instead of 35-40 mil this summer (to stay in HotHouston!).

12. supermagichero

He is a good defender. We need him.

13. pasox2

pasox2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I'm very happy to have him instead of that other guy.

14. Toast

Toast Member

Glen Rice and Mobley did most of the defensive work on T-Mac.

Everyone's been talking about how Glen Rice is such a defensive liability, but yesterday's defensive performance should have made them second guess. Instead, we get a thread about love for Posey :rolleyes:

Glen Rice didn't do anything spectacular on the defensive end ... yet when he was on T-Mac, T-Mac's shooting percentage was hovering below 30%. Put that in your pipe and smoke it.

How about some love for Glen Rice?!?

15. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Juan,

Having 2 shot blockers at the back makes a HUGE difference.

They are a good defensive team, and as Posey gets more minutes that will get even better.

DaDakota

16. Another Brother

Another Brother Contributing Member

You are right. Posey has come to the Rocket's to play ball and I for one am glad he is here. Slashing, hustling and good free throw shooting. Maurice Taylor has certainlly stepped up his game since the aquisition.

Great Thread, props to Posey!

17. walterw

walterw Member

Yeah. Indeed Posey is a very good defender and has quick hands
    , which often cause turnovers from opposing players.
    If he can improve his mid-range shooting percentage, he will definitely win the starting job over Rice.

18. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Two? They have three.

Griffin 2.06
    Yao 1.94
    Cato 1.15

19. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

Would that be a 12-year deal?

20. barbourdg

barbourdg Contributing Member

I would still like to see Hawkins & Posey in the game together at times (take some of Moochies minutes). That would be a site to see on the defensive end.