1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Can we collectively stop undervaluing Clint?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by treyk3, Feb 3, 2020.

1. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Unless the signing was unintentional, it wasn't a gaffe

2. topfive

topfive CF OG

"Can we collectively stop undervaluing Clint?"

Holic falls in a faint.

D-rock and hakeem94 like this.
  3. DVauthrin

DVauthrin Contributing Member

What does Rudy Gobert have do with Clint Capela’s offensive repertoire still only consisting of dunks and layups in his sixth NBA season? Or the fact Capela still has the bad tendency to go up soft in the paint? Capela has had five summers to improve in both areas and hasn’t.

Also, I said Capela is better than most centers would be in the Rockets switching defense. The problem is he’s still an exploitable mismatch in those situations and an elite, versatile perimeter defender would be a superior fit. In today’s NBA, switching defensive schemes are becoming the norm.

As for Capela’s hands, you will get no argument from me there. He’s really good in that area and has saved Harden and Westbrook from turnovers at times.

Overall, Capela is a limited offensive player who is a defensive liability against modern offenses. He’s a very good role player, but he’s not a star in the making.

#43 DVauthrin, Feb 3, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 3, 2020
    pr0wler and hakeem94 like this.
  4. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

The problem is he hasn't been at that level since those series in 2018. He has regressed significantly on defense the last couple of years.

pr0wler likes this.
  5. treyk3

treyk3 Member

I disagree.

It's the team overall that has regressed.

Draymond Green is a top defender in the NBA. His team looks bad so he looks bad.

Capela is dealing with a team that had a scheme ran by a mastermind in BZD (who caught lightning in a bottle with our switching scheme) and now it's ran by the most run of the mill coordinator in the game.

Something happened with BZD where he left then came back and then was ousted. Capela now has to be the anchor of a defense that has no discipline or scheme. You take away crazy length and a genius coordinator you're probably going to look worse. Defense is a team effort. It's him and PJ and not much else now.

Dacamel, D-rock and HP3 like this.
  6. HP3

HP3 Member

I guess once a guy is on the trade block dudes gotta go out of there way to disrespect him and all hes done for us.

7. Stephen_A

Stephen_A Member

you miss the point. If your contention is perimeter defenders are better fit for today’s game then you mind as well exclude Jokic, gobert, Valanciunas and several other quality bigs in this league. None of those players are great switching centers and elite perimeter defenders. If your argument is that the league needs switching and perimeter defense in favor of big men the fact these types of players are still present in the league suggests otherwise. Fact is there’s few big men that can guard the perimeter and your argument supports MDA’s approach in playing small ball, which up to this point has mixed results and the rockets are still dominated on the boards as evident in that last Portland game. Also clints stats have improved every year in the league. He’s worked on a soft hook and being more aggressive down low. The issue is the bill doesn’t come to him. That’s not his role. If you watch closely Capela actually has above average handles for a big man and a euro step. He’s special. And I argue he could do more if featured more in the offense. His scoring has dipped a bit probably due to Westbrook’s output and teams defending the high screen and roll better. The point with gobert is he’s an all star and he isn’t an elite scorer either. Similarly clints role isn’t to produce offensively. He doesn’t have to. Seems like you’re nitpicking and criticizing without facts. Whatever you say the guys a baller and top 6 center in this league. Hugely underappreciated. Sure there’s holes in his game but so does every player in the league. Based on what you wrote it seems your expectations for the position are very high and perhaps you’re asking for an elite scorer and defender. That’s not why the rockets are making this move. It’s about their concerns In guarding those big 3s and 2s in the west anh Giannis. That’s why they covet ROCO.

clutchdabear, D-rock and hakeem94 like this.
  8. macan

macan Member

i think Clint is a bit overrated.
    Harden makes any tall dude looking better than they actually are. elite pointguard will have that kinda impact. like prime: Nash, Jason Kidd and Chris Paul.

9. YOLO

YOLO Member

oh really

[​IMG]

10. JW86

JW86 Member

If Morey trades him for a pick and a rookie and cannot flip that for a wing who can help now then he shouldn’t do it!

I actually agree that teams needs to give up a solid starter and something else for Capela. Unfortunately the word is out and we’re the ones calling it seems...

Morey losing his touch, everyone knows we’re desperate so we will probably not get a good deal.

Stephen_A likes this.
  11. macan

macan Member

ok you got me on this one.
    this dude is too stupid to be a decent player. not even MJ can lift him up.

pr0wler and payaso like this.
  12. payaso

payaso Member

Did I just hear him described as a 21st Century Jason Caffey? If so, mazeltov...

macan likes this.
  13. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I'd say when you take into acct. CC the player.. then his contract....and, his value in the East...you're looking at true value of somewhere around a #8, # 12, and a late first or early second. (No way Covington is worth two firsts, just an asking price). In terms of what we want ...to win now...plenty in that direction. A stud wing + another rotational wing & a playable big.

hakeem94 and D-rock like this.
  14. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

Agree that the team has overall regressed (obviously) but Clint has not been as aggressive on defense the last couple of years. Honestly, he wasn't spectacular during the 2018 season either, he just turned it up during the playoffs. He can do better.

pr0wler and hakeem94 like this.
  15. D-rock

D-rock Member

Agreed, needs to be right deal.

And Tristan Thompson is not right deal.

Stephen_A, Plowman and treyk3 like this.
  16. D-rock

D-rock Member

Clint is perfect for what Rockets want out of 5 spot - sprint down court for easy oops opportunities while wearing down big Centers, elite switch defender for 5, excellent screener and finisher, top rebounder, improving rim protector, very underrated BBIQ (grew leaps and bounds every year, even this season with 20 rebound streak). His intangibles are off the charts (attitude, work ethic, hustle, IQ, etc.).

But Rockets need to improve the wings and Clint is only real asset available.

Clint trade requires 3 assets coming back: long 3-D wing starter, another long back up forward and a 5 capable of defending bigs, rim protection and rebounding for 15-20 mins/game.

HP3, clutchdabear and Stephen_A like this.
  17. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

I'm with you OP! I don't want him gone unless we get something in return that gets us closer to a championship run. Let's see what Morey can do.

clutchdabear and D-rock like this.
  18. dfbreyes

dfbreyes Member

I wasn't a fan of the trade for Chris Paul which costed the Rockets Lou Williams and Montreal Harrell.

I loved that Rockets signed Clint Capela.

Now I don't understand why all of a sudden so much hate for Capela. What does James Harden and Russell Westbrook have to say about this? Do they also want Clint out the roster?

Just waived or trade Nene Or waive Hartenstein or Ben McLemore.

If you need to bring in new blood, why not reconsider AB? Has Anthony Bennett recovered from his injury.

Don't ruin the team chemistry. Please don't take away the alley hoop pick and roll play Harden has with Capela.

Please don't trade Clint Capela.

19. clutchdabear

clutchdabear Member

this is pretty much it. there were a few games this season where clint didn't seem to move too well... but i'd think it was more due to his heel injury rather than laziness, because clint has always had a high motor. earlier in the season, that 20 rebound streak was really impressive, and there really aren't many players in today's nba who can pull that off.

the front offices of other nba teams and media types are doing their best to undervalue clint's worth. even some of us rocket fans are quickly forgetting what clint has done and is capable of. he has consistently outplayed the elite centers of the nba over and over (embiid, KAT, gobert, jokic) for the past 3 seasons. just go back and watch that philly game from a few weeks ago... clint singlehandedly destroyed embiid. add all this to the fact that he's still just 25 and on a great value contract.

if we don't get a good return, then i'd rather not trade clint at all.
    fu tilman.

jcf and D-rock like this.
  20. Sanctity

Sanctity Member

The way Clint can peak jump in multiple successions for putbacks, bocks, and rebounds when healthy puts him in a class of his own...

macan likes this.