1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Can we all agree on a few things moving forward in this series

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by astros123, Oct 14, 2019.

1. Nook

Nook Member

Really? I’m hoping for 4-6 innings from Urquidy if he is is reasonably solid and 6 runs if he pitches like he has in half his starts this year.

Buck Turgidson likes this.
  2. Tomstro

Tomstro Member

Nice response. Well thought out. Not a douche post. I particularly enjoy all the baseball stuff in there.

3. Rileydog

Rileydog Contributing Member

My lord. If Hinch lost faith in his players like you idiots do, springer would have been pushed to the bottom of the order in 2017 or benched altogether and we would have no championship.

Snake Diggit likes this.
  4. Tomstro

Tomstro Member

Who is saying Springer should be moved?

5. Rileydog

I’m not talking about springer. People around her lose faith in pressly, Yordan or anyone who struggles for a game or two.

conquistador#11 likes this.
  6. cmlmel77

cmlmel77 Up all Night Watching Houston Sports

Yup. There were absolutely people calling to bench Springer before the 2017 WS. Just as there were people calling to bench Correa before this series. Baseball is a fickle sport. Luckily AJ is not a fickle manager

7. Rileydog

Irrational fans saying emo irrational things based on small sample size comprised of ABs against the best pitchers on the planet

8. astros123

astros123 Member

Pressly was strugging against the Rays as well, the Yankees game wasnt his first time struggling. Yordan should still be moved down, i think Correa is going be fine.

9. Major

Major Member

You got your answer on Pressly yesterday.

10. conquistador#11

The baseball playoffs are hard.

Buck Turgidson likes this.
  11. Rileydog

I was nervous when Hinch brought in Pressly, nauseous when Pressly walked the first guy. There are no absolutes, particularly in playoff baseball. All you can do is have a good process for decisionmaking and live and be judged by the results. Perhaps Hinch's greatest strength is his ability to imbue his players with confidence. Playoff baseball is so difficult and the difference between success and failure is perhaps as much about the mental, as it is physical skill. Hinch does a great job of getting the mental right.

If Pressly gave up runs in that spot, we would all be frustrated and some would be mad. But objectively, over the long haul, Hinch's approach of trusting his horses and giving them confidence works.

cmlmel77 likes this.
  12. astros123

astros123 Member

Pressly left some hanging sliders to Gleyber and Edwin. He left Edwin an inside breaking ball that literally stayed on the inner half.

NO offense but I def wasnt sold on him last night. Yes his fastball did tick up to 95 but his breaking ball didnt look that sharp.

donkeypunch likes this.
  13. YOLO

YOLO Member

you don't need to be sold on him. he absolutely delivered last night regardless. and he'll be on the mound again soon for good reason.

Hustle Town likes this.
  14. Hustle Town

Hustle Town Contributing Member

That's fine that you aren't confident, but relief pitching is so fickle that sometimes confidence and other intangibles matter more than we'd all like. Pressly admitted to the media that getting those guys out in that situation was a big confidence boost. Does that matter? Who knows. In my opinion, Hinch should get the benefit of the doubt. He knows his players, and he's greatly outmanaged Boone to this point.

15. astros123

astros123 Member

Like i said after game 2, Correa should be batting 4th behind Bregman. Bregman still does NOT have protection with Yuli. Yuli has BEEN AWFUL these past 2 games. Correa needs to bat behind Bregman and Yordan needs to bat 6th. If we play against Washington, we need Correa to bat up in the lineup. Yuli bat is slow right now and we all know what the Nats have to throw.

While we're at it, Chirinos has looked beyond awful. I hope Maldy starts game 6.

16. cmlmel77

This is a horrible take. Either watch him bat carefully or do basic research before posting. See below and click into the thread for more.

17. astros123

astros123 Member

Im well aware of his exit vol and well aware of the advanced stats. My issues is situational hitting. With runners in scoring position with less then 1 out, you dont need to hit a hard hit ball. Yuli is awful with situational hitting. I much rather trust Correa experience.

Springer
    Tuve
    Brantley
    Bregs
    Correa
    Yuli
    Diaz
    Reddick
    Maldo

Thats the winning lineup right now.

18. Major

Major Member

LOL. You want or think hitters try to hit balls softly?

Yuli hasn't struck out the entire playoffs - he consistently puts the ball in play, which is exactly what you want from "situational hitting".

cmlmel77 likes this.
  19. Major

Major Member

Stupid Gurriel. Should have hit that ball more softly.

cmlmel77 likes this.
  20. cmlmel77

tell me more, genius