1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Can we afford Shareef Abdur-Rahim?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by jcmoon, Mar 17, 2005.

1. jcmoon

jcmoon Contributing Member

After watching him last night, i would love to have him on this team. Of course everyone wants swift, but just as another name to throw out there....i like his game. I like his post game, and mid range jumper and he seems athletic enough. Not great and rebounding or boards, but good enough. What do ya'll think? you think we could get him for like 6 or 7 mill a year?

2. Tonaaayyyy

Tonaaayyyy Member

u don't think the team we have now is good enough? :D why need shareef

3. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

I doubt it- That is one guy who has always been under-rated. Someone will pick him up for more; my money is on Cleveland if they don't sign Redd.

J

4. jcmoon

I think he is a very solid player, and will add to our offense and under the jeff van gundy defense he with more than suffice. Better than howard and mo IMO.

5. Xerobull

Without a doubt he is better. He is all-star calibur, IMO. Just not going to happen money-wise. To be honest, our chemistry is so good right now, even the thought of shaking up the roster makes me cringe.

6. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Actually, from what I've seen, he's a really good rebounder, but less than adequate on the the boards.

I would hope a guy like SAR, who has been in the league 9 years (he's going to be in his 10th year next year?!!?) and never sniffed the playoffs, would want to go to a playoff team. That should put us on the short list. The even shorter list would be playoff teams with a PF need, which we'd also qualify.

Not a chance he sticks around Portland, imo. They've got Randolph, and have gone to the youth movement. I think we're a decent suitor for SAR- potentially with a sign and trade using an expiring contract (which we have in spades) plus a pick to make it happen.

Why would Cleveland want him when they have Gooden for cheap? Cleveland wants a perimeter shooter- Allen, Redd, or Joe Johnson.

7. Xerobull

I agree, but it's just a gut feeling I have, IF they don't sign Redd.

8. BiGGieStuFF

BiGGieStuFF Contributing Member

I think Shareef would be willing to take a little less money. His stint in Portland has really frustrated him I'm sure and he just wants to play now. I would like to get the guy considering what we need out of the PF situation. He seems to be a bit lacking in the defense department from what I saw last night but I think that happens to you when you're playing for no cause.

If we can get him for cheap and a short contract I'd welcome him. But if other teams start opening up their wallets for him I'd say forget it and look for a young prospect.

9. Chilly_Pete

Chilly_Pete Contributing Member

I think he would fit in pretty well here if he were willing to make some sacrifices.

10. BornRocketRed

BornRocketRed Member

on the Portland post-game show (radio) the word was that his knee is degenerating--they were talking about Zach Randolf's knee not being too much of an issue as he doesn't rely on a great amount of athleticism, but were worried about the injury causing a shortened career. they mentioned the same concerns about Abdur-Rahim, although that's the first i've heard of it up here, and it seemed just speculation. their hopes were for him accepting a much lower salary, even though his agent is the same one who got Damon Stoudemire his big contract

11. Willis25

Willis25 Contributing Member

thyat is silly, they are set at PF and SF... why would they sign SAR ? :confused:

they are going after Allen and Redd (or they will draft a SG)

12. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

SAR is actually a pretty good rebounder, averaging 8rpg for his career. He can shoot the midrange jumper consistently and has a nice low post game as well.

IF SAR can be had for a good price, he would be a nice fit for this team.

13. daoshi

daoshi Contributing Member

Watched SAR since his days at Cal, he is a very talented, versatile player. His post moves are so effortless, remind me of Derrick Coleman at his prime.

Playing for us means a BIG pay cut, and HUGE role reduction, I just don't think he is willing to sacrify that much to sign with us. He will command 8mil+ easily from many teams out there.

14. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

I get that pun! HA Ha HA

15. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

not enough teams are far enough under the cap to sign a guy for $8mil. the ones that will have that money won't be looking for a guy who can been in the league for 10 years.

i think he will be one of the guys who ends up being a BIG steal for a good team. that good team might as well be us.

swift and chandler are great to dream about while bored at work but they will be the ones getting the 8-10 million a year deals. our best options right now are SAR and marshall. both will sign for the MLE.

16. NIKEstrad

Supporting Member

Uh, from whom? There aren't "many" teams with 8 million in capspace period.

I honestly don't see a huge market for SAR out there. If a team has the huge capspace and a need for a 4, they're going to go after the younger free agents out there- Dalembert, Kwame, Chandler, Curry, et. al. SAR's 9 years in the league have already shown he's a good player, but not a franchise player- the way free agency has worked recently is teams are more likely to take a chance on a potential stud than a guy they know will be good, not great.

He'll get a lot of full MLE offers because of it, and from there, it comes down to who can make Portland a palatable sign and trade offer.

17. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

Potential Suitors:
    Miami: If Haslem leaves for more money, or if they simply want to upgrade. He'd have to take a paycut, but he'd guarantee a playoffs experience.

New Jersey: His target destination via trade for some time. They may be down at the moment, but combine him with Kidd, RJ, and VC, and you've got a good situation.

New York: Just because they never seem to have enough undersized PFs.

Sacramento: Longshot (Kenny Thomas would be a perfect match for a S&T), but they are rebuilding.

LA Lakers: Plenty of swingmen to trade and would allow Odom to go back to the 3.

Minny: Because you know that roster won't stay put. Cassell's 7 million matches well for a S&T.

New Orleans: Plenty of cap space, and PJ Brown is probably ready to lose his starting status.

Us: We do have plenty of expiring contracts come July 1, but why would you S&T an above average PF for useless guys with expiring contracts? If you're looking to save money, just let him walk. A low draft pick (20-range) probably won't seal a deal. Is SAR worth a Mutombo (giving us a rare 1-2 punch at center)? A Wesley? Those two may have played themselves off trade bait status.....

I have a feeling we'd have to convince him to pull a Payton and accept the MLE for a shot at a ring.

Evan

18. daoshi

daoshi Contributing Member

Well, if guys like Foyle, Damp can get that much money, I'm sure some teams will pay SAR 8mil+.

19. NIKEstrad

Supporting Member

Dampier is a legit 5. Different market, plus it was through a sign and trade.

Foyle received that much money because he resigned with his own team. Bird Rights. I don't see SAR wanting to stay in Portland, nor Portland wanting to keep him there (because of Randolph).

20. jcmoon

i just don't think he'd be willing to take the midlevel i'm sure someone will offer him more. i think he's goes wherever the cash is like most people. Cuz he knows it's his last real contract.