1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Can THIS Rockets team do what the 2011 Mavs did?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by samtaylor, Mar 1, 2017.

1. samtaylor

samtaylor Member

Looking back at recent history, there are a lot of similarities between the '17 Rockets and '11 Mavericks. Yes I hate bringing up the fact that Dallas won a championship, but think about it.

The Mavs were the 3rd seed in the West, only had 1 star player and got hot from 3. They had 6 players shooting 37% or better from 3. Dirk shot 46%! The real question is, did we screw it all up by trading away Corey Brewer? Was he the key?

I'm just saying that the '11 Mavs proved that a 1-star team can win it all by getting hot from 3. The biggest difference I would say is that they had a much better rim protector/rebounder in Tyson Chandler. I think we have even more shooters than they did. Will it be enough?

Moleb likes this.
  2. TracywtFacy

TracywtFacy Member

[​IMG]

3. Asian Sensation

Maybe yes, maybe no. Maybe it's Maybelline.

Lawlruschang, DudeWah, Jontro and 3 others like this.
  4. Sidarma

Sidarma Member

Doesnt mean **** that corey sewer was part of the ponies championship team where he played spot minutes.

Hey ariza was part of the fakers championship .... look at us now. Weve had him for couple years.

Ramo$e likes this.
  5. MGC

MGC Member

Maury still has time to correct this glaring mistake of trading away Brewer.
    It's time to call up Brendan Haywood. Fits the bill, a 7 foot center with championship experience. :cool:

Lawlruschang and samtaylor like this.
  6. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

You must pay royalties.

DD

Lawlruschang and BigMaloe like this.
  7. Icehouse

Icehouse Contributing Member

Mavs played defense

cheke64 and CantBeRight like this.
  8. rocketman12

rocketman12 Member

If only Ariza would have gotten a 2017 NBA champs tattoo before the season started I'd agree.

9. kevC

kevC Contributing Member

Um if we're going to compare 1-star champions that relied on 3 point shooting, I'd much rather be compared to the '94 champions.

Killatron 2000 and BigMaloe like this.
  10. rocketman12

rocketman12 Member

Except the best player in the league didn't retire and isn't playing minor league baseball

omgTHEpotential likes this.
  11. Caesar

Caesar Member

That Mavs team was very good. No way are we a good comparison. Chandler was DPOTY and consistently #1 pick and roll finisher. Jason Kidd was an older vet but still, one of the greatest PG's ever which is better than having just any regular 37 year old pg averaging 8 and 8. Shawn Marion is one of the greatest versatile players ever IMO. JJ was instant offense off the bench. Peja one of the greatest 3 point shooters ever. Stevenson, Haywood and Mahinmi were all above average role players and Cardinal and Brewer were hustle garbage minutes guys.

They were also top 10 in D as well. Rick Carlise as their head coach.

The only similarities are Harden playing out of his mind like Dirk and Terry being similar but better/smarter/more clutch than Gordon or Sweet Lou.

I'm enjoying this season but come on guys. Let's keep it realistic. DAntoni has proven to be a great regular season coach and mediocre or poor Playoff coach with much better teams than this year's Rockets.

We're overachieving. It's fun. But, were not even a lock to get out of the 2nd round and will probably be in a dogfight in the first round. If a WCF appearance is in store for us, so is another embarrassing series loss just like last time.

Lawlruschang likes this.
  12. TheRealAllpro

TheRealAllpro Morey only fan

It's possible the Key will be: can Lebron fold up mentally again?

Lawlruschang likes this.
  13. Caesar

Caesar Member

I WILL say that you can never say never. Just b/c I'm being realistic in expectations doesn't mean we should give up. I said before that you always play to win when you have a decent team, because you can't control what happens to other teams and there went Love shortly after I posted that, now down goes Durant. Both came a bit too soon, but imagine if both go down again in the playoffs. Rockets jump right into the very real dream of a championship. Still, don't think it would be enough to get past GS big 3 or LeBron and Kyrie and great role players. But, still a real chance.

14. Emtenndo

Emtenndo Member

15. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Your username is Rocket Man....... I think this is a ban-worthy post.

16. vtjsr2

vtjsr2 Member

if we play defense...until then, no.

the mavs excelled playing that zone.

joeson332 likes this.
  17. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

If the Warriors don't win it all it will be one of the bigger upsets/chokejobs in history. Sure, they won't win 73games this year. But their point differential has gone up each and every year indicating that this team is even more dominant than last year's. Finally, there is nowhere near the competition there was last year. The Spurs and Thunder were legit great teams as well, and the Cavs were playing much better last year than they have thus far. I think it's the first time in NBA history you've had four all stars in their primes together on the same team, including a definite two in the top 6.

18. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

Dirk was unguardable that year too. No one could stop him in the playoffs. Can Harden do what Dirk did when he gets nullified by a simple double team?

#18 DreamShook, Mar 1, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 1, 2017
  19. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

WTF!? Show some self respect.

unlike x infinity.

20. rockets13champs

F the Mavs bro