1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Can the Rockets win a title relying on the 3?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by mhch720, Apr 8, 2013.

1. mhch720

mhch720 Member

Source: http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1593635-can-an-nba-team-win-a-title-living-and-dying-by-the-3

Interestingly enough, the Rockets are the only team in NBA history to win a championship while attempting the most 3's/pg.

Do you guys think if we obtain a 2nd star PF that can shoot the 3(Presumably K. Love), and a solid SG/SF 6th man, and keep jacking up the same, if not more, amount of 3's, that we can win another championship?

2. KingLeoric

KingLeoric Member

Yes there's always hope.

3. nbalopez23

nbalopez23 Member

Orlando Magic went to the finals a few years back with a similar offense. Looks like we are getting Howard also so I'm guessing we are not changing it might as well support it and hope we do win one

4. Fullcourt

Fullcourt Contributing Member

Aren't we #2 in the league in baskets made at the rim?

5. cjtaylorpt

cjtaylorpt Member

Fast breaks

6. Fullcourt

Fullcourt Contributing Member

Doesn't change the fact that we rely on those points just as much.

7. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

We're 4th.

8. cjtaylorpt

cjtaylorpt Member

Although I see your point, the pace of the game is dramatically slowed down in the playoffs, which would really lower our fast break points, thus reducing our points at the rim.

I do think that if the Rockets get hot, we can be the modern-day Golden State team that beat Dallas (in much less dramatic fashion, considering Dallas had one of the best season records and GS made the playoffs by the last game of the season or something like that).

9. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

If they get a respectable defense, then of course they can.

10. cjtaylorpt

cjtaylorpt Member

Actually, I think our defense has been great in some of our recent games. I thought when we beat OKC, we were hustling and playing really great defense. Versus San Antonio, McHale made some key adjustments by putting Asik on Duncan and using Parsons and Beverly to slow Parker back down (even Harden got in on the action on some plays). Not to mention the game against Portland (even though they have been playing poorly) we had them shooting the majority of their shots with less than 5 seconds on the shot clock -- a lot even going down to the last second.

11. meh

meh Contributing Member

1. Bleacherrepport? Really?
    2. You believe the Rockets are shooting too many 3 pointers away from winning, when their 2nd best player is Omer Asik?

I don't care how many 3s the Rockets shoot. I just care WHO IS SHOOTING THEM. It's a hell of a lot different if it's Kevin Love and Chris Paul vs Delfino and Lin.

12. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Sure, but those are only a few instances out of a vast majority of games where we have played absolutely horrendous defense, even for the pace we like to play.

13. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

The inside-out game has worked for teams like the 90's Rockets, and the Dwight-Magic team in the past to get to the finals. However, the inside threat came from the post instead of driving/slashing guards.

So what this means is the first line of defense isn't there when shots are missed. In an inside-out style of play with a dominant post up option, the first line of defense(PG, SG, SF) are in a much better position to fortify or at least slow down the transition offense coming back after a missed shot.

So could the Rockets win a championship with this team as currently constructed in a couple of years???... I think it would be a significant challenge to say the least if not virtually impossible.

However, the good news is this is really just year one, and the Rockets are in a great position to just simply add in a post threat that can give this team some variety on offense when the game shifts to a slower half court pace.

In a year or two, I think this team will run a similar style to the SA Spurs if they can find a big man who can give them the kind of presence that Duncan gives them on both ends at this point in his career.

Right now the only person with the kind of size to become that presence is most likely D-Mo or Asik. Asik has the size to be that on both ends of the court, but lacks the offensive talent to be a low post scorer. And D-Mo has the scoring ability, but its highly unlikely that he will ever be have the strength to man the post defensively.

-I dont want to sound like a broken record here, but I do hope the Rockets seriously consider taking a look at Pau Gasol on a one year trial run, if/when they strike out on Dwight. He fits the role, and completes the puzzle piece needed automatically. Also he only has one year left on his contract which gives the Rockets the flexibility to go after someone else in the future if the opportunity opens up in 2014.

Very low risk type of move for them to make to put a complete team on the floor that can compete in the playoffs, and comes at a very, very low risk. The cost might just be one year of cap space, and one contract like Thomas Robinson going back to LA. Just my 2 cents.

14. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Not this year, probably not going to win the first round, but it is good experience as they grow.

So, no this year, ask again next year.

DD

15. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

They won't even win a series that way.

16. platypus

platypus Member

The orlando magic were one missed layup from doing it. So why not?

17. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Being an undisciplined 3-point shooting team probably most help you win a championship, because its hard to play that way on one end and defend on the other.

Shooting 3s off penetration or post-play or good ball-movement, however, is a good offensive strategy. I think the key is making sure that if you miss the 3, you're still in good position to get back on defense.

18. cjtaylorpt

cjtaylorpt Member

I just think it was important to note that we have had a few FULL games where our defense has been great in the last 10 games or so. Whereas for the first 50-something games it would be hard to find one full game where we have had great defense.

It is more about showing that we have the ability to play really good to great defense and that we have made improvements on doing so.

19. AggNRox

AggNRox Member

it is the first thing that came up in my mind when i read the OP post. it's also the reason i like the inside-out game. i bet 93-94 and 94-95 championship runs did brain wash on me. too bad i am too old to learn new tricks.;)

20. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

You can't win an NBA championship relying solely on any one thing. Rudy T revolutionized the game on both ends with his spacing and focus on the 3 ball - it became the standard.

But everyone relies on the 3 these days. It's such a common part of an attack.

The old Rockets didn't "rely" on the 3. They used it as a counter attack. They had this guy named Hakeem who was so dominant that you could build a scary offense around spacing 3 point shooters around him. You have to pick your poison - give up the 3 or let Hakeem maul you inside. Only Seattle could defend it by using an illegal defense.

Today's game is different. You still need the 3 ball. But we don't have the inside presence to completely rely on it. We have attacking perimeter players in Harden/Lin/Parsons/Bev but that's not enough because defenses can put more pressure on the perimeter.

What we need is another weapon to balance out the perimeter attack. As great as Harden is, he isn't so dominant that he can out muscle tougher defenders and we see him struggle against the top defenders. I think that's the missing piece. A guy who can punish defenses for playing our perimeter too tightly.

They have to be someone who is capable of scoring 20+ when the defenses focus on Harden and Lin. Be able to get 2 point shots at a 60% clip.

So the answer right now to the question is no.