1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Can the Rockets contend with Dwight at $15-$20 million?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Firebomb525, May 11, 2016.

1. Firebomb525

Firebomb525 Member

After the TNT interview, I wondered if all his talk was from the heart and not PR stuff.

In this scenario, after hiring a coach (Vogel, Smith, Cassell, whoever), Dwight is left out in the cold with zero max offers and, after having a change of heart, decides to come back to the Rockets on a 5 year deal ranging from $15-$20 million.

In the current NBA landscape, would it be possible to reload around him at that price and Harden, and contend for a title? Would having Dwight at that amount take us out of any sweepstakes for Durant, Horford or Conley?

2. treyk3

treyk3 Member

I'm comfortable with something in the range of 5 years / 85 Million. Allows us to sign another full max guy with a little maneuvering. I think Dwight would make a fantastic third option.

3. Victorious

Victorious Member

i rather have dwight opt in for one year than to give him a new contract

4. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Sure it's possible I suppose.

5. rocketsballin

rocketsballin Member

15 per and he doesnt repeat this season. he cna do much better but does he want to? i dunno

6. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

this new cap is ****ing insane.

7. abaker28

abaker28 Member

It's difficult to get All Star caliber players and even more difficult to get MVP caliber like Harden.
    Dwight said their friendship or like for one another is real, but it was suggested their chemistry isn't.
    So A: Get a decent coach in.
    And b: Yes to your question. 15 mill and allow a 3rd 'all star' caliber player to come in.

But Dwight needs to change his game AND WORK ON THOSE DAMN FREE THROWS!

8. Caesar

Caesar Member

Technically, yes. You can contend as long as your have Harden and Dwight and enough cap space for another all star. The problem is that it's highly unlikely we get another 3rd all star level impact player and we also have terrible role players. Ariza can't dribble to save his life and can barely jump any more. He's regressed defensively because he's not a great athlete anymore. We have a team full of those kind of players. Ariza, Josh Smith, Corey Brewer. A bunch of guys who had great athletic ability but no real basketball skill, but now don't have anymore athletic ability. KJ McDaniels is just a younger version of those guys. Great athlete. No real basketball skill. TJones is awkward with the ball and plays small, DMO is too inconsistent to start and has back issues, Bev was found in Russia. Hes a Matthew Deladova. An energy bench player. Unfortunately he has to start for us. Were just a bad team overall that can't be fixed overnight because Dwight takes a small pay cut.

9. Caesar

Caesar Member

IF we do bring him back, i hope it's for 2 seasons only. Don't want Dwight at 20+ million on the Rockets past 2018 after Harden goes to LA.

10. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

if he's going to sign a deal like that you really think he's going to take less money for a shorter term?

This is his last big contract, he would be an idiot for doing that.

11. mdoggnic

mdoggnic Contributing Member

I like the $15-$20 million part of your scenario but would be reluctant to give him 5 years at this point in his career. A 3-4 year deal would be better in my opinion. Also, the commissioner will have some say in D12's value...if he gets rids of the hack-a- tactic then dwights value increases.

12. maw7079

maw7079 Member

He is VERY likable guy, but his free throw shooting alone caps out his value at 6mil/yr

13. Im Just Sayin

Im Just Sayin Member

While a guy like DeAndre Jordan makes 20+? You're way off.

14. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

He needs to get his mobility in order...until then he's a liability and can't be trusted with the ball. If I'm Morey...I only pay him that much if he agrees to clear his whole off season schedule and focus entirely on rehab. No excuses and send him to the best professional(s).

15. cdrive

cdrive Contributing Member

16. OlajuwonFan81

OlajuwonFan81 Member

I was the biggest Dwight Howard fan and still think he can be a dominant center in the NBA; I just don't think it's with the Rockets and especially playing alongside a guy like Harden.

His time in Houston is over my friends. It's time to move on.

17. Mattician

Mattician Member

As the third option. He shouldn't get nearly as many post-up opportunities.

Alley-oops and dunks. Try to be like DeAndre Jordan and have an average distance per shot under 1.2 feet.

18. Firebomb525

Firebomb525 Member

Thanks for the responses guys!

So if we fail to lure another all-star caliber player, what can we do to retool? We have a star offensive player who's a willing passer but doesn't play defense to his full potential due to the offensive burden, and we would hypothetically have a big man who, while still elite defensively, struggles with scoring effectively in the post and poor FT shooting.

At this point, I imagine you use the remaining cap to acquire good role players. Who stays and who goes?

19. Vivi

Vivi Member

If you want to pay him in that range, it's better to put the same money on Whiteside imo.

Anyway, i don't think this will be a thing, someone will pay him 20x or more and will promise all the touches he wants etc...also, there's the limited chemistry with Harden so yeah, he's not staying.

20. Vivi

Vivi Member

That's one more reason for him to change team.

He doesn't like it now cause he doesn't have as many touches he wants, how can you imagine him being happy with another top player in front of him?