1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Can the Houston Rockets go all the way by going small?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ricky-retardo, Feb 20, 2020.

1. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

2. D-rock

D-rock Member

https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/...suited-for-small-ball-even-come-playoff-time/

"We have a strange team, where James is really good at guarding posts. So is Eric Gordon. Everybody we have can guard the post," D'Antoni said. "We rebound just as well with the little guys, so it's weird -- it's a weird team. It helps Russell on offense, it helps James. So offensively we're better and should be -- theoretically -- we should be better defensively."

In case you thought D'Antoni was just blowing smoke to hype up his guys, that's not the case. The numbers back up everything he's saying, with Harden in the 96th percentile of NBA players in post defense, allowing just 0.554 points per possession according to Synergy Sports Technology. The lineup of "little guys" who started against the Warriors had a defensive rebounding percentage of 76.9 entering Thursday night, according to NBA.com, which ranks 10th in the league since Covington's first game with the team, for lineups which have played at least 35 minutes together. In other words, they're not getting killed on the boards -- in fact, they're bordering on elite (with the obvious small sample size caveat).

Patience likes this.
  3. D-rock

D-rock Member

4. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Contributing Member

That was my only problem with the trade. Westbrook clearly didn't have the chemistry with Capela and Covington was a lock to fit in, but I was upset that we had to gave up a first round pick. Atlanta got Capela for two second round picks, I felt like we paid too much. First round picks will be vital in improving the roster as we'll be capped out for years.

I'm now coming to grips with it seeing how Capela is clearly quite injured. It was either make this trade now or have our season be torpedoed.

Little Bit likes this.
  5. D-rock

D-rock Member

New players adjust quickly to Rockets 5 Out scheme.

“We space the floor and just have to put ourselves in the right position,” Covington said. “We have a good feel for how we want to play. It’s hard to guard five guys out. Normally, you have one guy in, two guys in sometimes with pick-and-roll teams. With five out, a lot of bigs aren’t used to playing like that. It kind of puts a fog in their head. We’ve just got to keep building off it.

“With so much attention on James and Russ, I’ve got to make sure I’m in the right spot at the right time and put myself in position to be good for myself and teammates in general. Sometimes, you don’t need a shot. You need to swing, swing it. Overall, we’ve been moving the ball really well, and guys are knocking down shots really well.”

“It’s team basketball,” Green said. “We know who our go-to guys are, we share the ball, and we love when everybody is aggressive. And we take the shot that’s there. And when we’re going, it’s a beautiful thing.”

Rather than needing to take a step back with the addition of newcomers, the Rockets have surged, in part because of an offensive ride easy to hop aboard.

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/te...find-Rockets-offense-an-easy-fit-15078372.php

Hakeemtheking and Patience like this.
  6. BigBum

BigBum Member

Yes, Rockets Championship.

Looney killed Rockets game 5 and 6 in May. Huge mistakes.

Now MDA knows how to use talents and defense to shut down Harrell and Dwight Howard. It won’t repeat the huge error.

it’s role players.

7. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

Reading all these statistics .... it looks like has a good chance to pay off.

The one thing that has me concerned is Harden defending in the post and getting in foul trouble. This team isn't the same when Harden sits - they were like -12 when Harden sat last night against Utah in the first half. That's distressing.

Harden gets in foul trouble against LAL or Denver and has to sit for an extended time .... it could get ugly.

Patience, So Saith Red and D-rock like this.
  8. BackNthDay

BackNthDay Member

Keys to playing small ball defense successfully:
    1. Stay in front of your man on defense
    2. Contest shot without fouling
    3. Active hands
    4. Box Out
    5. Rebound
    7. Help and recover quickly

9. D-rock

D-rock Member

And having players with the active feet to slide laterally, strength/length to defend post and athleticism to recover when beat.