1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Can Stephon Marbury help our team more than Rafer Alston does?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by pmac, Dec 2, 2008.

?

Can Stephon Marbury help our team more than Rafer Alston does?

Poll closed Mar 12, 2009.
  1. Marbury would make us better

36.5%
  2. Rafer Alston makes us better

63.5%
  1. pmac

pmac Contributing Member

Basically, if he gets bought out and comes to Houston on a minimum salary deal…do you think he would outperform Rafer thus improving our team or do you think Rafer is better for our team? We’re not talking about Steph vs. Kidd or Steph vs. Nash here, we’re talking about Steph vs. Skip to my lou.

Sounds simple enough…discuss.

2. mrm32

mrm32 Member

Heck no.

/thread

3. abc2007

abc2007 Member

I say 'yes'!

Clearly, with Rafer, the current rockets are not a contender! This is probably the last season for Tmac and Yao here. Since we are nowhere to go, why don't take a risk? If it works out, we could win the title. If not, at most, another 1st round out. Why not?!

4. WillG

WillG Member

I would risk it for the minimum. He cant be much worse than rafer

5. jae713

jae713 Member

I say "YES'. Stephon can hit an open jumper and create his own shot and penetrate and kick out.

6. across110thstreet

across110thstreet Contributing Member

clearly, every team that Marbury played on was not a contender either. switching teams after being cast away from yet another franchise won't fix anything.

and everyone is so high on his basketball skills? what's the big deal? people always say he'll get his 20 and 8, well he certainly struggled in his new role as Knicks savior. he'll get you about 14points, 4 or 5 assists and about 3 turnovers per night.

7. RocketMan Tex

RocketMan Tex Contributing Member

Locker Room Cancer. Hell no!

8. fogo11606

fogo11606 Member

You think he will come here for the min.? NO...

9. MayoRocket

MayoRocket Contributing Member

Talent-wise, this is a no-brainer, BUT that isn't really the issue is it? I say no.

10. redao

redao Member

I say yes.

at least Marbury got skills.

Rafer has no skills as a PG.

11. vjohnson

vjohnson Member

Hell he can't hurt us any more than we already are hurting.

12. pmac

pmac Contributing Member

last season it was closer to 2 turnovers still more than the 1.3 that Rafer averages.

...but yeah 14 pts and 4 or 5 assists isn't great but its still better than 10pts and 4 or 5 assists on 36% shooting, Steph's never shot anywhere near that bad.

You can keep saying how bad Marbury is but that isn't the point. The point is Rafer is WORSE. I have yet to see anyone make any kind of argument that supports Rafer being better, because you can't.

13. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Yeah, sure, Marbury can make us better by going to the Lakers.

14. across110thstreet

across110thstreet Contributing Member

I can, easily.

Rafer is a better teammate than Staph.

15. Hayesfan

Hayesfan Contributing Member

lord not again

Edit ^^ yes that is a prayer

16. DcProWLer277

DcProWLer277 Rookie

Where is the neither option because both are garbage, but Rafer is "less garbage."

17. ORLY

ORLY Member

Stephon Marbury...not about his ability, its about his personality.

18. pmac

pmac Contributing Member

on the court or off the court

off the court: I don't care, Kobe and Shaq hated each other and they won championships

on the court: i don't see anything that Rafer does that makes him a better teammate. Does handing Tracy the ball and getting out of his way count?

19. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

Wasn't Mike James, plainly, obviously, going to nail Rafer to the bench?

The Mike James numbers that everyone loved to point to:
    Tor: 20 and 6, 47% shooting and 44% 3s
    Stephon Marbury hasn't posted numbers close to that since '04-'05, and he very definitely brings along all the baggage that James did. Amazing how quickly this BBS forgets how repeatedly this franchise has been burned when they've gone after headcases (Swift, Bonzi, James) the past few years.

This isn't NBA Live. It's NBA Reality. Rafer is obviously an unreliable and very inefficient scorer...but he does bring things to the table. He plays hard almost every night, he fully buys into the team approach, he's strong at protecting the rock, and his team defense is underappreciated.

Marbury is a self-absorbed guy that puts himself above the team. He doesn't care a lick about defense. His own teammates tend to dislike and distrust him. He doesn't lead winning teams. He hides behind decent looking numbers, but I doubt you'd see many NBA players say they want him on their team if you ran a poll.

All that said, there is a possible scenario that if he were cut loose, he'd put on an "ideal teammate" act to try and prove himself and show up his critics (and earn a 2009 contract). That's what we're hoping to get with Ron (and failed at with Bonzi). That's a short-term scenario I could live with.

Evan

20. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

lol, we would end up with the Knicks former backcourt, Francis and Marbury. Honestly, I rather take a chance on Steve than to pick up Starbury. They have similar games. And so far, we know Steve gets along with the team and is not going to be a diva or distraction.