1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

can someone tell me how the heck cops are doing this in houston

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by astros123, Jul 17, 2013.

1. astros123

astros123 Member

Cam someone tell me how this is legal wtf. If ure coming from 45south and exit crosstimbers and come from the underpass where you take a uturn they have cops there waiting for you. They look at you from the window and tell you if you can go or not. This is solely done on race and looks. I saw 4 minoritys pulled over for no reason . Cops didnt even look twice at the white drivers. How the hell is this a valid checkpoint? I understand dui checkpoints but wtf this id bs.

2. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Can't help you. Don't think I've ever exited on Crosstimbers.

3. Classic

Classic Member

I've seen them do this for seat belts at lights

4. ontherox21

ontherox21 Member

They are checking for expired tags and expired inspection.

5. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Registration/inspection stickers?

6. astros123

astros123 Member

Yeah right I had my seatbelt on and am arab and was made to have my car search

7. droopy421

droopy421 Member

Why would you consent to them searching your car?

8. dragician

dragician Member

yes, this is it. i got stopped one time during lunch time and my passengers at the backseat were not buckled up. but the cop let us go. maybe becuase of my windshield sticker. not gonna tell u what it is.. ;).

9. Hippieloser

Hippieloser Contributing Member

Yeah, the cops like to pull this **** sometimes. Just wave like you're going to pull over... then don't.

10. astros123

astros123 Member

So they stop random cars for inspection and you think thats what there really doing? Didn't they passing a law that allowed them to have checkpoints and it failed

11. astros123

astros123 Member

Im pretty sure they need legit reason to pull you over and not suspicion of a failed inspection sticker

12. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

I've been pulled over before in the u-turn lane for expired inspection sticker.

I'm white, by the way...

They pull you over when they see your sticker is expired, not because they suspect it might be. It's right there on your windshield for them to see.

13. studogg

studogg Contributing Member

They do this at the intersection of I-10 merging to I-45 S near downtown every morning and make money in droves.

I doubt it's racial profiling - more like - no seatbelt/expired stickers profiling

They've started to do this as you exit the Pierce elevated to with the added fun of a speed gun

14. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

I think Mayor Parker tried to reduce their pay for court time, the cops b****ed and moaned, stopped writing tickets or threatened to, it didn't work out. So the cops have this union thing going designed (well not designed, but it's an instrument for this) to pay them money by writing you suckers tickets then sitting in court. That's not how they're allowed to do it, but it's "why" they do it. "Enabled" over "allowed" how about that?

Seat belt law for non-minors is one of my least favorite laws. If you die because you failed to wear a seatbelt I don't care.

15. ontherox21

ontherox21 Member

The inspection sticker is on your windshield. You either have a current or expired one showing. Its real easy to see if you have an expired one. There is no 'suspicion' of a failed inspection, only a current or an expired one.

16. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

No what they're doing there is pulling people over for impeding traffic while trying to cut in line onto 45 instead of waiting in the long line on I-10 going to 45. My wife received two tickets for doing this and she deserved it since these dip****s hold up traffic.

I see what the OP is talking about happen a lot by my work. They're looking for expired inspection stickers, plate stickers and seat belts. I asked one of the cops at the Chevron about it and he hated it, but said he was doing what the SGT. asked him to do.

17. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

I think that's what they're really doing because I've been pulled over for having an expired registration sticker in that very same manner. I was given a ticket..which sucked, but it was on me. I had bought the sticker...it arrived...and I forgot to put it on my windshield within a week of receiving it.

18. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

I don't understand what the OP is asking or requesting... :confused:

astros123, are you saying that you have something to fear, that you think they shouldn't stop you, or that no one should ever get a ticket at all for something they're supposed to have (valid sticker, seat belt on, etc.)?

19. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

That's interesting that you say this. Because the State of Texas believes that DUI Checkpoints are unconstitutional.

20. CrazyDave

CrazyDave Contributing Member

So you could tell why each vehicle was pulled over, by the fact you saw nothing else. Got it.