1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Can someone please explain this to me?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by yobod, Jan 21, 2008.

Tags:
  1. yobod

yobod Member

In the Sonics-Rockets game, Rafer played 40+ minutes, shot 5-17, scored 12 pts, and had 6 assists and 3 steals, and his +/- was +7. Earl Watson, on the other hand, was 4-8, scored 9 pts, and had 9 assists to just 1 TO, and even had a steal I think....yet his +/- was -8. Can someone please explain this to me? What exactly goes into calculatin a +/-?

2. darkwarrior

darkwarrior Member

points your team scores when you're on the floor. When watson was on the floor, sonics were a -8.

3. matty101

matty101 Member

Its just the points differential when that player was on the floor. SO when Rafer was on the court, the rockets outscored Seattle by 7 and when Watson was on the court, Seattle was outscored by 8.

4. JeopardE

JeopardE Contributing Member

It means the Sonics got outscored when Earl Watson was on the floor, and the Rockets outscored the the Sonics when Rafer was on the floor.

5. bob718

bob718 Contributing Member

As Magic once put it, a player can affect a game from 6 different aspects: scoring, rebouding, assisting, defense, leadership, and (?), and the latter 3 doesn't show on score board.

6. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

Rafer dominated in the (?) category :)

Safe to say Rafer had a bad night... but against one of the worst teams in the league, it's probably not going to matter when you've got Yao and Tracy playing like that.

7. t-mac4bigmac

t-mac4bigmac Member

Rafer is the best player on this team to set the offense. That's how he gets the +8 despite a bad shooting night. It's a part of his game that no one notices.

8. HAYJON02

HAYJON02 Contributing Member

I wonder what Matt Maloney's +/- was...

9. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

[​IMG]

Gary - "(?) = Trash Talking."

I do believe trash talking when you can back it up gives you a huge mental edge over your opponent.

Payton did it. Jordan did it. Bird did it. And the guy below did it.

[​IMG]

10. Storm Surge

Storm Surge Rookie

Classic Rafer hater thread, lock this up.

11. badgerfan

badgerfan Member

I don't think the +/- stat is worth all that much. Look at today's game: I think Landry's the only Rocket with a - on the day.

12. WNBA

WNBA Member

Question:
    Yao got +17. Both Rafer and Yao played around 40 minutes. why Rafer only got +7?

13. Sextuple Double

Rafer's (?) is game management.

14. Blake

Blake Contributing Member

because they didn't sub in and out at the same time. it is the +/- factor when they are actually on the court

15. JeopardE

JeopardE Contributing Member

Landry didn't fare well on defense against Wilcox. Bonzi also had a negative +/- on the day (vindicating DaDakota, who kept on whining about how Bonzi was hurting the team during PBP ;) ).

16. yobod

yobod Member

Nah, I'm not a Rafer-hater at all. Actually, I think he's the best PG we have when it comes to getting the team set up. As someone earlier in this thread said, I guess that's what explains the difference in his stats, and his +/-.

Thanks to everyone for the explanations, by the way.

17. bjshot

bjshot Member

because supersonics kept scores with high fg % in the 2nd quarters.

18. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

When I see that -4 next to Landry, I don't draw the conclusion that he therefore hurt the team. I try to think back on what the team was doing in those minutes. It forces you to reflect on what happened on both ends, where the defenses breakdowns occurred and why, or why certain offensive possessions didn't lead anywhere. That's the value of a +/- stat, and I believe that's how the coaches look at it. When the only stats recorded for players is points, rebounds, etc., we tend to forget all the other important stuff that goes on that aren't tracked by the stat keeper.

The basic problem with these numbers, all of them really, is that we assume they are direct reflection on the individual performance. They are not. When Landry was in the game, the Rockets happened to be outscored by the opponent over the course of his minutes. That shouldn't reflect directly on him. Similarly, if a player doesn't grab X rebounds, or doesn't score Y points, that's not necessarily a direct reflection on him either. Context gets lost too often with these statistics.

19. v3.0

v3.0 Contributing Member

+18,000,000

20. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

And if you did it to Jordan that would automatically net you -46 in the (?) category...