1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Can Rox ask Franchise to retire?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by duluth111222, Oct 16, 2008.

1. duluth111222

duluth111222 I.D.I.O.T

Then we can file injury insurance for him. My understanding is then his salary will come off the book. Is that correct?

By doing so we save a roster spot to sign both Wafer and Strawberry. Also we save couple of bucks since the salary of both combined should be cheaper than that of Franchise.

2. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Why would they do that? If Francis can get healthy he can help and he has a very reasonable salary.

And, I don't think Francis believes his career is over, so I doubt he will retire....my guess is he wants to get back to get ANOTHER contract going forward, I think he is only 31....he still has time, and another team will probably take a risk on him hoping he can regain his form.

DD

3. BmwM3

BmwM3 Contributing Member

For a second I thought this was a geico commercial.

If you were Francis and was asked to retire, would you do it? If you still think you had some left in the tank, than I would think that answer would be NO. Either way, this will be a difficult decision for the team to make.

4. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

If Francis is forced to retire for medical reasons *and* a league-appointed doctor confirms that he can't play anymore, his entire salary will come off the books this year, assuming we apply for salary cap relief and the league agrees that the disabling injury occurred last season.

This scenario was played out with Bobby Sura. One of the reasons why we never cut him.

see this article:

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/bk/bkn/4293741.html

5. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

So I see you were stuck listening to the Monsters of the Midday as well huh?

I share in your misery my friend.

6. dexkk

dexkk Member

I'm sure Francis will get his chance to contribute once healthy.
    Who knows? He could be bad or good.

7. RedRowdy111

RedRowdy111 Contributing Member

Francis will be back....but effective????

8. krosfyah

krosfyah Contributing Member

Lux tax only counts for your roster at the END of the season ...not the beginning.

So the Rockets will obviously wait until the trading deadline before making final assessments about where to trim salary ...like they did with Bonzi last year. There is no reason to cut Francis right now unless you want to give the roster spot to Wafer AND Strawberry. Frankly, there is no reason to keep both of them because neither of them will ever make it off the bench anyway.

9. VooDooPope

VooDooPope Love > Hate
    Supporting Member

no way Francis is anywhere as good as wafer or strawberry at this point. He should retire and save himself the embarRasment.

10. HowsMyDriving

HowsMyDriving Member

i think SF3 still has value as an expiring contract, so they wouldnt really want him to retire anyway.

11. allforone

allforone Member

ROX aint in the rebuild period and IMO, we'd keep all we got ,or whoever may possibly contribute in the roster , rather than waiving or signning off...

I strongly believe SF3 still got something left in the tank , may it be the motivational game style.....or his trade value(mercy).... keep him for now

12. blk5g

blk5g Member

have you not been paying attn. to how much dedication he has put in his rehab. please lock this up.

13. duluth111222

duluth111222 I.D.I.O.T

Well, I have. So has Morey. That's why he's taking a closer look at those guard in camp - AB, VW, DJ, etc. And that's also why even Francis himself doesn't sound confident that he can make a comeback, I guess.

14. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

Please more threads like this, let's haterate about the franchise and not believe. I love it, because when, not if, but when he comes back we'll have a major crow BBQ. Ron Artest approves this message.

15. duluth111222

duluth111222 I.D.I.O.T

I approve this message.

Signed,

Bob Sura

16. tcadriel

tcadriel Member

Maybe he's should just roll over and die, since he has Von Wafer and D.J Strawberry fighting for a roster spot? :confused:

Francis isn't going anywhere. He working hard and seems extremely motivated buy guys like you who believe he needs to start making funeral arrangements, since he a creaky old 31 years old.

Embarrassed by Von Wafer and D.J Strawberry by a few preseason games?
    Please get a grip, I bet I could sell you some ocean front property in Arizona. :eek:

Sorry but this thread FAILED

17. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

lol, you equated Bob Sura and SF3, remind me never to read another one of your posts again. Just at the top of every single post put "Pizza, don't bother even making an attempt at understanding my delusion". That'd be great.

18. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

uhhh...And here I was thinking I was just answering the OP's capology question. Despite me pointing out this scenario is the same as Sura's (suggesting we won't waive him), why am I being included in the "guys like you" crowd.

leave me out of it. I'm just answering a technical question.

19. Bigpetelikeiron

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA JOHN LOPEZ SUCKS!!!!!!

20. duluth111222

duluth111222 I.D.I.O.T

Like I invited you to come post in this thread. Geez.