1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Can Non-Americans Buy Your Future?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Mathloom, Apr 5, 2016.

1. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/GAt3HIKMF7Q" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I've been wondering about this for a couple of years now. Personally, I have no doubt it's happening. If you have the money, you can figure out how to do this. If a foreigner is chummy with American fellow shareholders of their company, that unlocks every possibility.

Also consider for a second that foreign dictators loyal to the US are unofficially required to bank in the US and that has major implications on the stability and security of the US economy. Some figures I've heard at SWF conferences and seminars is that up to 15% of the US stock market is owned directly or indirectly by Middle Eastern billionaires.

How influential are these same people with media outlets? If you're a middle eastern multi-billionaire who has become rich through neo-liberalism or neo-conservatism, at the expense of the rights and sovereignty of your fellow citizens, why WOULDN'T you buy stakes in - say - Fox News and CNN and use your financial influence to expand policies that made you rich? We've already seen in the case of CNN journalists getting fired for covering stories critical of their politically connected donors and shareholders.

Look, as a foreigner who despises a lot of US foreign policy, it's actually convenient to me that this is possible. But I don't like it. I hate it, and I would never want to participate in that kind of (let me call it what it is) crime. It's dangerous and it's terrible for your future. I think this should be discussed more carefully, it's an issue that Americans of all political backgrounds are being shafted by IMO. This is one issue you don't need to be divided on.

We're talking here about representation without taxation for a foreigner in your country. We're talking about granting free "speech" rights to foreigners and allowing them to raise their volume above yours in the political process. IMO it's only a matter of time before journalists or leakers reveal the extent of this issue, but I think the matter is too urgent to just sit back and relax.

Let me get more speculative for a second here too without mixing it in with my previous points: Hillary is never going to close the citizens united loophole if this is true. Those same people donate millions to her foundation, and she surprisingly vouches for every war which coincidentally takes down their political enemies in the region. The relationship is too cozy, and it may be more complex than we know. Important to note that this issue is NOT limited to Hillary, it's probably the case with most people running for POTUS.

2. Cohete Rojo

Cohete Rojo Contributing Member

I would like to take this opportunity to restate once again that Obama raised $1.4 billion (with a B) in his two presidential campaigns - which is more than twice as much as McCain and Romney raised COMBINED.

3. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Ask all the folks in California that are finding out they have to compete with foreign buyers for houses.

They pretty much have ads in Chinese for real estate in San Fran now.

4. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

Sure. It is the libertarian way. lol

Everything if for sale.

WRT to buying elections, The Market optimizes all problems such as any sort of problems due to foreigners or even US citizen billionaires investing in our politicians.

#4 glynch, Apr 6, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 8, 2016
  5. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

damn right they can. Americans are a bunch of sellouts.

6. Cohete Rojo

Cohete Rojo Contributing Member

U.S. has long been a dumping ground for corrupt government officials and corrupt business men. This nation was founded on the principle of slavery, after all.

7. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

glynch you have a great understanding of libertarianism. I hope posters on this site don't take your expertise for granted.

8. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

[​IMG]

9. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

To be honest I have never thought about this in that way. Thanks for the thread.

10. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

Haymitch, I am using the term " as claimed by millions of Americans, not a very small number such as Chomsky on the left or a few academics or perhaps a few thousand libertarians who don't largely vote or support conservative Republicans i.e., guys like the Kochs, Gary Johnson or Ron Paul as they drift in and out of the GOP.