1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Can Mo play the 3

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Mark, Mar 17, 2001.

Tags:
  1. Mark

Mark Contributing Member

If the rockets were to sign Cwebb, and Shandon decided to move on. Does anyone think that Mo could play small forward. Does he have the quickness and athletic ability to stay with some of the better small forwards (T-Mac, SAR, etc...)

What do you think of this lineup?

Francis-g
    Mobley-g
    Taylor-f
    Webber-f
    Hakeem-c

also, what are the Rockets chances of signing Marc Jackson from Golden State. He said he would love to play here. Do the Rox have the money.

2. TexMex

TexMex Member

I would say probrobly not. He wouldn't be quick enough to play with the small forwards. Shandon always has the hardest defensive assignments, if we were to lose him, we would need someone to fill that role. If Mo had to play small forward, he would definetly have to have a effective shot blocker backing him up underneath. Also, I think Rudy would like to have at least a 30% 3 point shooter at the postition. Taylor is a good outside shooter, but that is out of his range.
    TexMex

------------------

3. R0ckets03

R0ckets03 Contributing Member

Do you think he is quick enough to guard the Shawn Marions, Rashard Lewises and Lamar Odoms? I highly doubt it. While he would score easily on them, they would also be able to drive past him. To have Mo and Webber in the game at the same time, Webber would have to be playing the center position.

------------------

4. Lil Francis

Lil Francis Member

If Hakeem "can't get shots" with Mobley/Francis I doubt that he will wanna play with Mobley,Francis, and Webber [​IMG]

------------------
    President of the Steve Francis, Jamal Crawford,Larry Hughes, and Charles Woodson fan club.

5. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

Let's not forget Steve said in an interview a few weeks ago he thought Mo was a 3...

However, what I'd expect the Rockets to try if they got CWebb and resigned Mo is to play both of them at the power positions, PF and C. We'd technically have to call one the center, but essentially we'd be doing what we did with Mo and KT earlier this season. Against most teams this would definitely be successful, as on defense CWebb and Mo Taylor both hold their own very well, and offensively both can take their man off the dribble and can also draw him out of the paint. The only teams this might not be effective against are teams with dominant centers like the Lakers and Miami (if Zo comes back), but what you can do against them is start Mo and CWebb, and have Cato come in the game very early (maybe 2 minutes into the game) for Mo. Then bring Mo back in for Cato whenever Shaq or whomever sits down.

------------------
    "We're not settling for just getting in the playoffs." "We want a higher seed. There's no doubt. We expect to get in."-- Steve Francis

President of the Mo Taylor and Jason Collier fan club!

Draftsource.net
    ClutchTown.com

6. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

Actually, Mo played the 3 his rookie year when the Clippers drafted him out of Michigan. He did a pretty good job at the three; I remember because people were actually saying that Elgin Baylor managed to NOT screw up the Clips' pick that year. However, Mo has bulked up a lot since his rookie year, so I don't know if he has the necessary quickness. At least he'd be a good rebounder for a SMALL forward.

------------------

7. a.k.a vince

a.k.a vince Member

Mo Taylor at the 3 would rock!!! Mo Taylor is so valuable to the Rockets it is incredible!

Then you put Webber in the mix hopefully.

Geez, that would be seriously crazy!!!

Mo Taylor has to come back!!!!!!!!!!!

------------------

8. alaskansnowman

Let's not forget Steve said in an interview a few weeks ago he thought Mo was a 3...-Cat

Is that what he really said? I think I know what interview you're talkin about... I thought Steve said that Mo was a 3 in a 4's body.

Now while he might have the offensive skills of a 3, he has a 4's body, which will make it damn near impossible to play defense against the many sf's of this league. Mo would simply get burned by all the sf's in this league on defense... Mo's just too big and slow to play the 3 position.

If we're worried about what'll happen if we get Webber and somehow manage to resign Mo, then TheCat has it right. We'll just play them at Pf/C... not a big problem at all.

------------------
    PrEsident of The Danforth Langhford FAN CLUB... He IS our future All-Star Small Forward

[This message has been edited by alaskansnowman (edited March 18, 2001).]

9. Band Geek Mobster

It would be really tough to have Mo at the 3. Our 3 needs to be able to shoot from 3 point range, or at least have a chance of making a shot from outside. (I include that last part b/c Shandon is a pretty bad shooter but he has a better chance of hitting a 3 than Mo)

Imagine how clogged up the inside would be with Mo around as a 3.

------------------
    Forget LHutz, Bob Rainey is by far the coolest poster in cc.net history!

10. 3pointer

3pointer Member

I would love it if the rox had that problem (as far as playing Mo and Webber @ either center or PF) lets not forget Mo played Center for us and that is when he actually got the most rebounds ... of course Hakeem kept messing w/him and telling him he was the smallest center in the NBA... it was funny hearing Mo tell the story.

------------------
    My blood is made of Rocket fuel !

11. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

WHEN the Rockets sign C-Webb, you could probably play the guys together at the 4/5. I think they would play well together. They both pass well. They can laugh and talk about their hometown and college days:

"Hey, they have some great ribs at such-and-so place, you ever go there?"
    "They have some great BBQ here, too, I'll take you to Clyde Drexler's restaurant, Stevie took me there a couple times."
    "What? Good food? In Sacramento? get real -- they think soul food is what you serve at a church picnic."
    "When are you going home to visit?; yeah, me, too, glad I didn't have to sign there, the Pistons suck, damn!"

Hopefully we can trade away Cato and Walt to free up money to re-sign Mo.

Mo could play against a 3 like Shareef, who has no foot speed and is more of a finesse player. I've thought about this a little but have no real conclusions. Either Mo bulks up for the 5 or slims down for the 3. I don't know if CWebb is any more inclined to D up on the Shaqs, Robinsons, and Sabonises of this world than when he played under Nellie.

------------------