1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Can JJ Watt break the all-time single season sack record ?

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Grandpappy, Sep 28, 2012.

1. Grandpappy

Grandpappy Member

Ok Guys,
    JJ Watt has 51/2 sacks through three games. Mathematically that projects to around 25 sacks for the season. That would be the most sacks in a single season . It would top ( by a good margin ) Michael Strahan's all time single season sack record of 22.5. What do y'all think , possible?....probable?

2. Ender120

Ender120 Contributing Member

Here comes a season-ending injury for JJ Watt.

Thanks for the jynx.

3. rhino17

rhino17 Member

****, when I read "break," I thought he was injured...

4. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Only if Brett Favre comes back and lies down.

1 person likes this.
  5. ROXRAN

ROXRAN Contributing Member

I think Two records are a real threat to be broken. Arian for RB carries, and Watt for sacks

6. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

Absolutely not.

7. Relentless

Relentless Member

Lol. Some people man.

Go to sleep Grandpa!!

8. MystikArkitect

Well we have Green Bay and Chicago coming up. That should be 15 sacks right there.

1 person likes this.
  9. LCAhmed

LCAhmed Contributing Member

Clay Matthews has 6, JJ Watt has 5.5, and Chris Clemons has 5 (albeit the fluke game of Green Bay). I feel like JJ Watt has a chance to break the single season sack record, but not a very good one. Yeah he is projected to break the record, but so is Clay Matthews. I don't see either living up to the projected numbers.

10. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

Watt will not be able to keep this up since teams are going to start game planning to stop him. Should really free up our OLB's though.

11. xcrunner51

xcrunner51 Contributing Member

Slow your roll hombre. It's only been 3 games. This is a kind of question that you can more reasonably ask at week 8 or week 10.

Just enjoy the ride for now without asking if it's all-time historic performance.

12. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Most likely not, but you never know.

With everything else Watt does though, I wouldn't be surprised if (assuming health)he is DPOY by the time things are said and done.

Especially if we do what we're supposed to this year.

13. Naija Texan

Naija Texan Member

Maybe for the franchise but no not for the league.

He is off to a great start but don't forget the position he is playing in this scheme doesn't make getting sacks easy for him.

14. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

It's certainly possible, but pretty improbable. I mean, JJ is certainly skilled and motivated enough to do it, but a lot would have to go right. I think he is benefitted by the fact that his team is good enough to be playing with a good lead for a good deal of this season, meaning he will be rushing the passer a lot. But I still would bet money it doesn't happen.

15. vinsensual

vinsensual Member

It's only been 3 games but why can't he hit 20+? He's got the motor, he's got the talent, and he's in a great system. The offense can put up points, leaving the opposing team to pass more in the end. They play the Packers and the BEARS too. We see the great things that can happen when you put a talented player, designed for the right system, in the right situation. I'd prefer he stay healthy all season, but crazy numbers could go hand in hand with a Watt that plays 16 games.

16. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

I think we will be seeing opposing offenses focus more on Watt...freeing up our linebackers to do more damage.

We'll see Watt's sack numbers drop while Reed and Barwin get more sacks.

In the end, Watt will still have the same devastating impact, but it just wont show up as much in the boxscore.

And Im 100% okay with that.

1 person likes this.
  17. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

The problem is his position. Even in Wade's hybrid scheme, it's tough for a 3-4 end to have the edge freedom to consistently pile up sacks. I think Watt will be the best defensive player in the NFL, but he'll have some games where his biggest pass-rushing impact is occupying several blockers and allowing Barwin/Reed to make plays. Think he ends up in the 11-14 range in sacks, which is still incredibly good for his spot.

18. rocks_fan

rocks_fan Rookie

As a 3-4 DE, Watt's not in a great position for sacks. His production so far this year has been great, and there is a precedent for the position (White, Smith) but eventually he'll be facing chip blocks from TEs, double team blocks from the tackle and a stay at home running back, and possibly even moving pockets away from him. If all of that comes to pass, look for his production to drop, but that will be offset by the disruption his presence means to the opposing offense. I would be more than satisfied if he ended up in the 12-14 range as long as the opposing end (Smith) and pass rushing LB (Barwin, Reed, etc.) ended up in the 8-10 each. That would mean Watt was flushing the QB towards them and basically being the DL version of a shutdown corner.

19. platypus

platypus Member

I agree with your point. But to me watt does not seem to be a prototypical 3-4 DE. Remember when Kevin garnett changed the mold of basketball's 4 position. I think watt may be that kind of a player regarding ends in football. Now if that translates into sack records idk, but it's a nice problem to have.

20. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

Sure looking like it.