1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Can James Harden get any better

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by rockbox, Jun 27, 2018.

1. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

I thought he was incredible in 2017 when led the league in assists in his first year at point guard, and there was no way he could top 2017 with CP3 handling the ball so much. However, he proved me wrong by developing the most unstoppable shot in the NBA, the step back 3. Do you think Harden will be better next season and if he is better, where do you think his improvement will be?

Exiled, robgue and BigMaloe like this.
  2. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Increased stamina and learning to finish with his right hand are two things he definitely can work on in individual summer workouts.

Stamina increases his defense. A right hand finish is yet another way to freeze perimeter defense as well as the rim-protector, and will make his drives even more unfair.

I also want him to keep practicing the step-back three as much as he did last summer, too.

3. No Chill Rocket

With his increase in pay next year I would bet he could become better .... at tipping money at strip clubs :rolleyes:. No but I’m a serious note that is a great question . Has my boy hit his peak? I believe he could maybe increase his shooting percentages and possibly become better at play/decision making as one would expect with age .

4. esketit

esketit Member

I think he will learn from mistakes as he has done every year

BigMaloe likes this.
  5. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

Of course.

I say work on getting lighter (physically) and work on his handles that much more as the turnovers are still and issue from time to time.

His defense has been much better but he can still use some improvement in gaining quicker feet, which will help him when he's manned up on the likes of Steph and Russell. I'm thinking getting a bit lighter would enhance that and also working on feet shuffle drills etc.

6. legacygt777

legacygt777 Member

He has to learn to be more consistent. He has great games but then is missing or lacks the ability to consistently take over a game.

cheke64, PeterKingX, Moleb and 2 others like this.
  7. YOLO

YOLO Member

He likely tweaks the way he plays the game. whether thats using his floater more, more mid range shots, some off ball action etc. probably less of the baiting of shots as that got him frustrated a ton this year and in crucial moments. But overall this is the harden we're all going to see for the foreseeable future.

don grahamleone likes this.
  8. onreego

onreego Member

I would say...consistently attack with the midrange when the offense stalls, refs are letting GSW play overly physical at the rim, and 3s aren't falling.

charlieaustin likes this.
  9. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

-- he needs to practice catch n shoot this summer, far too often he's reluctant to shoot right away and inexplicably waits for the defense to come to him instead of launching the open looks

-- he needs to stop overthinking his shots and just let em fly, we've seen many times when he gets into a shooting slump it becomes a mental obstacle for him

-- he needs to practice his floaters all summer instead of driving all the way to the cup every time

-- he needs to add more midrange shots

-- he needs to practice staying in front of his man on D

-- otherwise, to tell u the truth, he's really, really f'n good

10. jamisonrocket

jamisonrocket Member

Wouldn't mind him getting better in catch and shoot situations

htownrox1 likes this.
  11. bulkatron

bulkatron Member

Yes. Learn to probe the defense like Paul. Mid-range step backs when the defense is tight at the perimeter. Weak-side cuts to the basket when he's not the primary ball handler. Off-ball screens when the defense has taken their eyes off him; use those as a decoy to get open like Curry does.

12. BigMaloe

BigMaloe Contributing Member

Every year he gets better. So I’m gonna day of course.

I fully expect him to come back next season with a brand new floater game. Maybe even a little bit of the cp3 crab dribble FT shot.

13. KrisD

KrisD Member

I think he can get better. His IQ, shooting, and stamina can all improve. I think he was tired towards the end and also his 3pt shot was disappearing a lot during the second half and playoffs.

14. Juxtaposed Jolt

Like some posters have said:

+ Midrange. Whenever he gets into a slump, instead of jacking up triples, work your way into the circle using a Capela pick and break your man down from there. It's also easier to make the defense work, because they'll have to react even faster, if they anticipate a drive

+ Catch and shoot. Let CP3 do what CP3 does. Play more off-ball when CP3 is facilitating

+ Work on post defense. There's been plenty of times where a big has switched onto Harden, and the ball gets tossed inside, forcing Harden to play defense

15. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

i think he could really benefit from watching old dumars & thomas highlights and incorporating some of their pet midrange shots into his game. like you mentioned, they would work off the initial pick and then find that in-between space to get open looks, often at the elbows. that's a very easy shot if you practice it enough and get used to using the glass. i don't like harden relying on the stepback 3 as his bread & butter go-to shot like he was doing many games in the playoffs. he needs to develop shots for easier less effort points than 3's and driving into the paint w/ 3 guys hacking him (and silver's goons ignoring it all)

16. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

best in reg season
    2nd only to lebron in the playoffs

Rocket River likes this.
  17. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

Reincorporate that deadly step-back midrange shot, continue to improve defensively, and don't hesitate to shoot when you catch it. Everything else is silky smooth.

18. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Endurance.

He got tired toward the end of the playoffs, but it's understandable.

19. PDJACK7

PDJACK7 Member

Moving without the ball. I think the game can come even easier for him if he does that. If he can run around a couple picks and have the defense off balance from chasing him around those picks, that would be an unfair advantage. He would need to make move/decision quicker once he gets the ball.

#19 PDJACK7, Jun 27, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 27, 2018
  20. Le$$

Le$$ Member

James could develop a hook shot, or a easy dump shot like curry got for sure 2pt sucess. Just imagine if james was driving to the lane and back away with a hook and it was pure gold every time. Maybe not tall enough but would be genius.