1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Can I Help You With Your Bags Mr. Mobley

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Colby, Jul 18, 2000.

1. Colby

Colby Member

I like Cat, think he is a great player, and has a bright future in the NBA. But Cat is playing us like b****es. Houston has shown Cat nothing but love. We drafted him the second round, telling him we believed in him. Gave hime the Starting PG job as a rookie, again showing confidence in him. Let him play the 2 and be the #1 offensive option on the floor plus play 30 min a game. The Rocks didn't take any SG in the draft when Alexander was still there. The Rocks also haven't pursued Lewis, who would only take wispers from rudy to come, all for Mobley. The Rocks are also Pursuing FA like Croshure to help improve the team. That, with a bright draft next year, and serious cap by dropping Hakeem and hopefully trading Williams, shows we are trying to win.

So Toronto shows him some cash and says hey, we lost our main guy McGrady, couldn't get Lewis, so you are our third choice. When you are on the floor you will be second to Vince who will take 30 shots a night. Its cold, come up.

How could Mobley even compare. Froget him. I like shannon just fine. Now lets get Lewis and forget bout Mobley.

------------------

2. AntiSonic

AntiSonic Member

I know I'm going to be jumped for being a hypocrite because I've been a HUGE Mobley supporter since his first game, but YOU'RE RIGHT!!! Of course, what should we have expected from a guy that flaunts $nottie Quitten as a role model?

------------------
    WE WILL WATCH THEM FALL... Next year :(

3. Gascon

Gascon Member

I have to agree. If he leaves now, he can start with Shaq on the all-back-stabbing team. [​IMG]

------------------
    "I'll take a Dream Shake for two, please."

4. TIburon

TIburon Member

Well guys if he leaves, who do we go after in free agency? I just looked at the list of free agents and could only see Johnny Newman who could be a good player and help this young team but even he's getting old(also think he was traded recently). Everyone was either an Eddie Jones scorer $$$ or a player not going to help us much. I hope he stays but if not I still don't see Toronto as a favorite in their conference.
    Note* Roddrick Rhodes was just cut by Dallas Mavs. I think he could help defensively but not much elsewhere and we still have Shandon here. So all in all we aren't going to die without him, money makes you do crazy things. Good to see players like Duncan and Amechi staying with their professional teams. One last thing on the matter, what makes Toronto think the "winningest coach of all time" can do there what he couldn't do in Atlanta? hmmm? He basically gave that team away to start off with a good hand, yes I said good not better Blaylock and Steve Smith gone, enter Isiah Rider and poor young Jason Terry. Sorry got a little out of hand there but don't think I'm wrong though.

------------------

5. R0ckets03

R0ckets03 Contributing Member

Some of u need to calm down. I dont think he is going anywhere. Yeah it seems that he is playing games with the Rockets. But I think Cat and his agent have a secret agenda behind it. I think Cat wants to sign right here, but his agent is probably telling him not to make any commitments. That way they can wait for the Eddie, Tracy, etc, etc, sign somewhere else. That way the demand for Mobes goes way up. Chicago comes in with something outrageous like 7 million dollars a year offer. Mobley refuses to go there. He does this because next year he can tell the Rocks "hey I gave up a bad ass offer for u all, now I deserve the max." So all this is a ploy for next year. And I cant say I blame the guy, I would be trying to squeeze as much money out as possible also.

------------------

6. 4chuckie

4chuckie Member

Colby, Mobley is doing what is best for him.

He wasn't given the starting PG job he earned it. Who else was going to play there Maloney?

Also you say we are trying to win, I say we are still in the middle of rebuilding. My example is trading Pryz for Collier and a 1st. Collier is not trying to win, Collier was a way to get an extra draft pick.

Now I ddon't know if he is coming or going, but he has a better of chance to winning in the East than in the West. We are several years away from being as good as LA or Portland. The East isn't really dominated by any one team and plus Mobley will probably get alot of NBC love by being on Vince's team. I am not saying Vince is a better player than Stevie, but NBC loves VC. I wouldn't be surprised if he does/doesn't leave but keep in mind it's not personal, it's just a business decision.

------------------

7. University Blue

"I say we are still in the middle of rebuilding. My example is trading Pryz for Collier and a 1st. Collier is not trying to win, Collier was a way to get an extra draft pick."

I don't think we can access this trade until we see Collier and Pryzbillia in the regular season. I have always contended that this Houston staff drafts for chemistry and not necessarily talent. It might turn out that Collier was the best player available -- in terms of team continuity.

------------------
    Forget regrets or life is yours to miss.

8. Colby

Colby Member

4chuckie-

I understand Mobley is doing what any business man should do. Only a fool doesn't check out his options. But i don't like the 50-50 comment. That tells me that everything the rocks have done for him is only equal to cash toronto could pay him. Thats an insult.

As far as the rocks trying to win, they are not gonna do it this year, duh. But we are doing the things to put ourselves in position to be a good team. i think Steve will push us to the playoffs. We might be on the outside looking in, but we will be hanging around. The addition of a big free agent next summer will make us contenters in 2002. Who knows what the leauge will be like in 2002, but Houston is a team w/ a plan, not like GS, Denver, Clips, etc.

Franchise is a bona fide star that can take us to the promise land. Its not a question of if, just WHEN.

Go Rocks

------------------

9. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

There's plenty of options out there.

Eisley would be a fine 6th man.
    Derek Anderson said in the golf tourney this was one of his options.

Then there are always trades. Take Detroit for example. They're looking to clear a little room. What would it take for them to give someone they don't want, in Lindsey Hunter to us, along with Jerome Williams? Probably the trade exception straight up. Hunter, like Mobley is an ideal 6th man-A "light em up" type of scorer. And he actually knows how to pass, he won't score as much, but I think he'd make up for it in other ways. Or, we could pull a short term fix of Dennis Scott, and then look at Stojakovic next year in free agency.

------------------
    The more lefties on your team, the better.
    Collier is Seven Foot and Left Handed. How can you go wrong?
    Trade or bench Kenny Thomas.

10. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Do we really want to pay Cuttino something near the max next year. I mean that is a lot of money and as of now he isnt even one of the top 10 SG in the league if you ask me.

------------------
    When I die I want to go peacefully like my grandfather. Not screaming like the passengers in the back seat!

11. DEANBCURTIS

DEANBCURTIS Member

I think Cat will make the right decision and stay with Houston.

------------------
    please venture to atheistalliance and rocketsonline
    I AM SPARTACUS