1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Can I get landscaping for under $1,000?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Harrisment, Aug 7, 2006.

Tags:
  1. Harrisment

Harrisment Member

Simple question. I have a fairly small yard that just looks like crap. My back is all jacked up so I can't do anything about, and even if that wasn't an issue yardwork isn't exactly my forte. I'm looking to get some estimates from different people on landscaping. I'm just worried that when I sa y my budget is around $1,000 that someone is going to laugh at me. I just want something very basic that looks good and easy to take care of.

2. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

Dude, I'll mow your yard for $1000 if you need some help.

3. ron413

ron413 Contributing Member

Google search lead me to this link, I have no idea what I am talking about as far as landscaping feedback for you but maybe these folks can give you a free quote and some good scoop:
    http://www.econocuts.com/landscaping.htm

http://www.econocuts.com/contact.htm

But with all the folks here in Clutchfans community, I am sure somebody can hook you up with a better contact.

4. Mr. Brightside

Mr. Brightside Contributing Member

If you know the basic idea and design for landscaping, you can hire some spry individuals off of Westpark and get the job done yourself.

Just google up some basic design plans ("landscaping ideas") , and just go buy the appropriate plants.

If you don't speak Spanish to communicate with your workers, just print out some designs and show them. Not that hard, and it gives you more input on the overall design.

5. Harrisment

Harrisment Member

Well the basic design is already there, it just doesn't look good. There are patches of grass that are dead, I think from the trees blocking sunlight. And the bushes that are there now just look bad. It just needs a facelift. I'm trying to get abcpest/lawn services to come out this week and give me an estimate.

6. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

I might know a GWF (see my sig) who can do it cheap for you, depending on where you are. eMail me your location in town (approximate major intersection streets/freeways) so I can forward your info.

7. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

A pallet of grass covers 450 sq ft., cost about $130
    5 gallon shrubs cost about $25
    15 gallon trees cost about $75
    A dump truck load of topsoil costs about $250
    A roto-tiller rents for about $40 a day
    A landscape crew of 3 runs about $100 an hour (with equipment)
    A crew 3 illegals cost about $30 an hour (without equipment, shovels wheel barrows, saws trash bags)

Know where your underground pipes and wires are.Watch out for drainage issues, don't build up flower beds where they hold water against your house. Plant shade plants in shady areas and sun plants in sunny areas. Consider the mature size of the plant when you select, you always see over grown plants crowding out everything in Houston.

For flowers go with Lantana's and Penta's. They are tough and grow like weeds.

You can do a lot for $1000 but you will have to make phone calls, haul stuff from Lowes and pick up your own workers.

Almost every illegal you pick up will know how to do landscaping.

#7 Dubious, Aug 8, 2006
    Last edited: Aug 8, 2006
  8. coma

coma Contributing Member

You can also call this guy, Luis @ 832 687 1972

He does great work and for cheap too.

Honest, reliable, detailed, and professional.

Tell him Ken from Sivley sent you.

9. Cohen

Cohen Contributing Member

I don't know what abc will charge, but I don't think $1000 will cover it. Dubious' costs are good (although he overlooked the rental of the roller for the sod ;) ).

If you're in Houston, you may be able to put down sod now if it rains everyday for 3 weeks, else plan on dragging your hose around twice a day (with this heat). Wait till the temp drops.

St Augustine is one of the best turf grasses for shade in the South, but still needs sun so if your trees provide deep shade...some folks would have an arborist thin the canopy (but they will just fill back in over time and this would be expensive), or you can turn it into a shade bed. St Augistine also likes water, which usually isn't an issue in Houston. Some fescues do okay in shade, but I don't know how they do in Houston and I also don't know whether the shade loving variety ir perenial or an annual (reseed every year? uh uh).

10. gunn

gunn Contributing Member

Depending on how much you are looking to do a company might just laugh at you and your $1000 budget. But without knowing what exactly you are looking to do to your yard you should probably call a couple to get a few estimates (you might be surprised). If you go the "do it yourself" route an easy way to save on money is to buy your plants during the months of September and October. During those months you should be able to get your plants and shrubs at any Houston Garden Center or Houston Plants and Gardens for 50-70% off the original cost.

In terms of getting the work done, you can go down to a gas station and hire 2-3 day laborers for 8 bucks and hour (plus lunch) and they could probably have the job done for you in several hours.

11. A-Train

A-Train Contributing Member

Landscaping is really not that difficult. In fact, I'd consider it the easiest home improvement project you can do. All it requires is a lot of sweating. You can get landscaping books at Lowe's that will tell you everything step by step. If your grass is dead, rip it out to the bare dirt and lay down some sod. If you keep it properly watered, it will grow back beautifully. If your trees are too voluminous, trim them with a branch saw. If you don't like your bushes, dig them out and put new bushes in the holes, making sure you have the right bushes for the amount of sunlight they'll be getting and that they're spaced properly.

12. Supermac34

Supermac34 President, Von Wafer Fan Club

FYI...if you want to do it yourself and buy your own plants, wait until the fall after the growing season. Most plant nurseries will deeply discount their plants down to much much cheaper. $25 plants will go for $5, ect. In Houston, you can successfully plant plants during the fall and early winter months and they will live.

Just an FYI.

13. TeamUSA

TeamUSA Member

And the good thing is, you can do it gradually, you don't have to finish everything in one day or weekend.

try it, it's fun and it's a great feeling once you see your progress.

14. Cohen

Cohen Contributing Member

Don't trust the plant suggestions from the generic books...many won't survive in Tx. Find a local book.

Also, aside from some physical effort ... sure landscaping is easy to do, and easy to do wrong. Most don't know the first thing about pruning a branch and what happens now or on the future if you do it wrong. Most can't say what their soil ph is and which plants will thrive in it, or whether they can stand the cold or heat, or whether the lack of drainage will kill'm... etc etc

Constantly replacing dead things is not success.

15. A-Train

A-Train Contributing Member

I don't think he wants to plant the victory garden, just to make his yard presentable. I wasn't talking about a book of plants, just a book that teaches the basics of landscaping, like proper pruining and soil pH.

Any decent nursery or local garden section of the hardware store will buy plants that are well suited for the local climate. I haven't run across many maple tree saplings down here in SE Texas, just as I'm sure they don't sell many grapefruit trees in New Hampshire. ;)

16. Harrisment

Harrisment Member

Thanks for the advice guys. I do not want to do this myself, it's not really an option. I have a really messed up back so bending over to plant anything sounds like torture for me at this point.

17. Mr. Brightside

Mr. Brightside Contributing Member

I thought you had a wife for these type jobs. :)

18. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

At least you didn't recommend "SwoLy and the Bandits" for landscaping services... :D

Harrisment, did you email me?

19. rrj_gamz

rrj_gamz Contributing Member

if you don't mind doing you're own work, then no problem...if you hire day laborers, it'll be close to that...Sod is no problem but I would apply some soil to make the sod catch and water the hell out of the grass the first couple of weeks...

20. powerchuter

powerchuter Contributing Member

You could build a pond.

Mine was built for around $1000 - most of the cost was the pump and liner.

Most of the stone was scrounged and the deck, decorations etc.. homemade.

[​IMG]