1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Can anyone justify the images shown in these films?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by jacoby, Jul 24, 2018.

1. jacoby

jacoby Member

I included a timestamp to a random scene in the second clip.

I understand this is a touchy subject for a lot of people (especially Texans), but I can't even imagine why anybody would even want to partake in something like this. Anyone care to justify the scenes found in the documentaries posted above? I'd love to hear your thoughts.

Thanks!

2. Pole

Pole Houston Rockets--Tilman Fertitta's latest mess.

3. droxford

droxford Member

I only clicked through the videos instead of watching the hours of video shown.

For other TLDR people here... the videos show various animals such as cattle and pigs.. shows how they're managed.. shows how animalistic and gross they are... shows how they are killed... shows things like kosher slaughter, etc....Most of the footage looks very old (from the 70's or 80's). It also shows some footage about dog pounds and puppy mills, but most footage is about pigs and cattle.

To answer the OP's request to "justify" the videos...

I've seen videos like these before. I've visited (in person) a pig farm and slaughterhouse in Iowa. It does not, in any way, decrease my desire to eat animals.

Animals are animals, not people. Animals eat other animals. That's nature. Animals that are higher on the food chain have more advanced abilities to capture and eat the animals that are lower on the food chain.

If you don't like nature, that's okay. You don't have to like it. Nature (and the killing/consumption of animals) will continue without your approval.

Or, as the Bible put it (after the great flood and Noah's ark)...

"Then Noah built an altar to the Lord and, taking some of all the clean animals and clean birds, he sacrificed burnt offerings on it. The Lord smelled the pleasing aroma and said in his heart: “Never again will I curse the ground because of humans..."
    Genesis 8: 20-21

There ya go.... Biblical evidence that God loves Barbecue.

#3 droxford, Jul 24, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 24, 2018
  4. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

You have options. If it bothers you, eat organic, farm raised. Or don't eat meat at all. A good friend of mine decided to stop eating any processed meat due to videos like this, and I respect his opinion. He only eats organic, farm raised or hunted meat. He doesn't preach it, he votes with his dollars.

bigdaddy, fattz, JumpMan and 4 others like this.
  5. Nook

Nook Member

I don't agree with the conditions in large scale slaughterhouses.

However, I suspect you would be posting and protesting clean conditions at a small farm anyway.

85% of the meat I eat comes from small sustainable farms or I track and kill myself as a hunter.

Still, the vast majority of people cannot do that.

I am far more concerned with the conditions people live in than animals that are being bred in numbers only to be eaten.

Invisible Fan, JumpMan and Exiled like this.
  6. Mr. Brightside

Mr. Brightside Contributing Member

Eating meat leads to a lot of cancer.

7. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

How can you have any pudding if you don't eat your meat?

8. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Not eating meat leads to me thinking I'd rather end it all.

If I could I'd raise and slaughter my own meat. that's the goal I'll eventually reach before retirement but I stick to mostly chicken and fish for the awful treatment of larger mammals.

9. Big MAK

Big MAK Member

It will all be grown in a lab in due time.

10. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Deagan. (Death-Free Meat Only).

11. dharocks

dharocks Contributing Member

I'm an animal welfare advocate opposed to industrial farming practices, but any ******* who thinks a pig or a cow or a chicken deserves the same rights as a human being is out of their mind as far as I'm concerned.

marks0223 and Nook like this.
  12. Buck Turgidson

You continue to make things an all or nothing proposition. It does not have to be that way. You could really, honestly, change people's minds if you would have rational discussion and not just be one of the loony ALF soldiers throwing polemics left and right.

13. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

I remember my first month in college.

Kevooooo, Xerobull, Uprising and 3 others like this.
  14. Jontro

Jontro Member

joke's on you, jontro is already a super vegan/vegetarian where he exclusively eats certain leaves from trees.

15. jacoby

jacoby Member

Am I an ******* for believing that it's wrong to treat animals the way they were treated in those films?

Should a pig, cow, or a chicken have the same rights as a dog or a cat? Why/why not?

16. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

It shouldn't matter but shouldn't the frumpy girls have the same shot at that job as the blonde with double Ds?

I mean we only love dogs because we live in excess. If it was back to pure survival, either you or the dog is eating the other one. Zero-sum game.

17. Roscoe Arbuckle

My brother started a cattle farm a few years ago (too small to be called a ranch yet.)

They treat all of their cows far more humanely than any else around them. Some of their neighbors have said that they "spoil" them with pellet treats and what-not.

And yet, when they get to a certain weight they will be sold for food. But until they were meat, they lived a nice life.

Just saying that beef that you purchase could have lived a nice life in the meantime.

That said, I still like veal, and I'm pretty sure all conditions for veal suck.

18. Nook

Nook Member

Has anyone said they think that in some large slaughterhouses that it is okay to abuse animals? Please show me that post.

Do you think it is okay when the pig on my property drowns ducks in the mud and then stomps on their carcasses for entertainment?

Do you think it is okay when wolves enter my property and drag of and kill multiple of my animals?

Is it okay for me to shoot coyotes that are killing chickens and dogs?

Death and struggle are part of the cycle of animal life. Eating animals is part of the natural order of life.

Fight for more humane conditions for animals.... but don’t be too judgmental because... that is a two way street....

You seem really concerned about slaughterhouses and I don’t see you making threads about children starving and people being slaughtered.

marks0223 and Buck Turgidson like this.
  19. Buck Turgidson

Oh boy.

Absolutely untrue.

B-Bob likes this.
  20. Roscoe Arbuckle

Not a meaningful response.