1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Calvin Murphy's Baggage

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by OldYelllowDog, Apr 28, 2014.

1. OldYelllowDog

OldYelllowDog Contributing Member

Yes, he calls it like it is. He has a great basketball mind. No, he cannot be our coach!

He has more issues than just the sexual abuse acquittal!! He cheated the City of Houston!!

From Wikipedia: http://en.wikinews.org/wiki/Calvin_M...tation_charges

Sexual assault charges in 2004: Murphy is confirmed to have fathered 14 children by 9 different women. In 2004, he faced trial in Houston for sexually abusing five of his daughters. He was acquitted of these charges in December of that year.

April 29, 1998

Time sheets submitted by Houston City youth athletic director, Calvin Murphy, Longtime Houston Rocket and Hall of Famer, are investigated by the city to ensure he worked all the hours he claimed.

and this:

Murphy Loses City Youth Job
    May 29, 1998
    HOUSTON — Hall of Famer Calvin Murphy has lost his job as the city's youth athletic director. He was accused of filing time sheets that claimed he was working for the city--including overtime--on days he was out of town for his job as a commentator on broadcasts of the Houston Rockets, for whom he once played.
    Parks director Oliver Spellman Jr. said he told Murphy of his decision not to renew the contract that expires Sunday. As a temporary employee , Murphy had an annual salary of $50,000.

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/1...n-murphy-youth

No, we don’t need Murphy with all his baggage as our coach.

1 person likes this.
  2. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

How about as a Clyde replacement?

3. Phillyrocket

Phillyrocket Member

No to coach but Lord I wish he'd replace Clyde as commentator.

4. Franchize

Franchize Member

Yall want him to replace Clyde but maybe Calvin doesn't want it

5. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Look, dude, it's bad enough that I have to suffer through idiotic loses by the Rockets, including bad officiating, questionable coaching decisions, and incredibly half-cocked stupidity on the court from some of our players without having to see someone dredge up a crap thread about a Rocket Hall of Famer. With all due respect.

6. MikeMania

MikeMania Member

I think we need to hire an up-and-coming assistant coach out of a reputable organization. Big names like MDA and Mike Brown have proven they're pretty terrible. While the wave of new coaches like Clifford, Budenholzer, Brett Brown, have moderate to great success. I don't want another relic who only coaches players to fit his system. I want a good basketball strategist who still has room to evolve with the players. Like running ****ing pick and roll.

7. cbk41

cbk41 Member

Nothing is sacred anymore.

8. bobloblaw

bobloblaw Contributing Member

Eh, the time sheet thing is on the city. Who would give Calvin Murphy a time sheet and expect him to keep track of his own hours? Calvin Murphy doesn't have time for that.

9. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Coaching..... We talkin bout Coachin????

Lol. I don't know anyone that thinks Murph should be or should have been a coach for the Rockets or any other team. If he was going to coach, he would have been one decades ago.

Calvin, despite his baggage is someone people wanted to see back on the BROADCAST because him and Bill were great together.

There is a reason why that hasn't happened again.... This baggage you speak of woul be that reason OP.

I know there are a lot of newbies around nowadays but damn it's getting annoying having to give a history lesson every two weeks.