1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Calvin Murphy says The Rockets will extend McGrady

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by EssTooKayTD, Dec 3, 2008.

1. EssTooKayTD

EssTooKayTD Contributing Member

Calvin Murphy believes The Rockets will extend McGrady

I know how this will be received, but if any of you listen to Calvin's talk show on the radio he mentioned tonight that Les was going to resign McGrady. He said it with a good amount of certainty, and just said it was because Les loves Tracy.

As a fan, it makes me happy, but I know the thought angers some around here.

Discuss!

#1 EssTooKayTD, Dec 3, 2008
    Last edited: Dec 4, 2008
  2. Pocket Rockets

too early...anything can happen

he could hang it up as well

3. Jaingfang

Jaingfang Member

That's great and all if its true...but if we get no title or at least make it to the conference finals by 2010, he could very well want to leave the Rockets and sign somewhere he could win a title...which would be absolutely devastating...

4. jamescar

jamescar Member

Most likely a good move. Assuming we resign Artest, we would not be under the cap anyway.

5. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

I can't see us extending him right now if its anywhere close to his current salary. And I trust my intuition more than Murphy's "insider" info.

6. pmac

pmac Contributing Member

Calvin probably just made that crap up.

By 2010 it will be obvious which way we should go. If we get far in the playoffs and build some chemistry with Artest Tracy will have earned a new contract. If we're in a similar situation as now 2 years from now, it would make no sense to resign him.

7. comehere2

comehere2 Member

more pain likely.

good luck.

plenty things will happen, no worries.

8. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

I haven't found Murphy to possess any inside info really.

But I am all for it. You have to win with this core now. That means extend Artest too, don't pull 1-year a rental like they do in baseball (looking at you Astros). Retooling in 2010 means taking to steps back and starting from scratch.

Maybe... Maybe... Les can give Artest the max next year then talk both Artest and McGrady into signing 1 yr contracts near the minimum allowing us to maneuver. But Les' track record with Barkley and that scenario doesn't really help him out...

9. TheTrendSetter

If we get to conference finals/finals/champs they will resign him no hesitation. What about Yao? If he stays healthy I think they will resign him too. But what if he gets injured? (God Forbid)

10. R0cketC1ty123

R0cketC1ty123 Member

PPL WE R NOT RESIGNING ARTEST

11. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Even if Yao averages 20 games a season for the rest of his career he will remain a rocket.

12. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

Extend him for how much? Certainly not for anywhere near what he makes now.

I just can't see it happening unless McGrady's value is so low due to injury or declining performance that no other team offers him anything decent. I can see him resigning for 2-3 years for an average of 6-7 million a year.

How much is a 14/4/4 guy who shoots 40% and plays half the season worth? That's what he will be in 2010.

13. Cocainecowboy

Cocainecowboy Member

i hope it is true...Tracy is a great player..and his desire to win to me should not be questioned....check his career playoff statistics ..he shows up his team doesnt

14. TheTrendSetter

First of all he hasn't averaged 14/4/4 as a Rocket and by the end of the season you will see. Secondly he shoots above 40 percent. Thirdly he only played less then 66 games Once in his career and 66 games isn't half a season. Yao is more like half man half a season. Just some facts I'm giving you

15. BruceHR

BruceHR Member

If Tmac can recover 100%, Im happy to hear Tmac stay, he can be our most offensive player, the question is who will resign by the year 2010, only Battier have the guaranteed contract. still who we can get in 2010.

16. t_mac1

t_mac1 Contributing Member

i don't know. i'm a fan of his but if we don't have any playoff success, it's time to part ways with tracy (and/or yao). we can't have too much investments on 2 very injury-prone guys.

2010 is a big year and tracy's contract expires then. it woudl be stupid to resign him.

however, if he's still extremely productive, then sure. but NOT FOR THE MAX. if tracy is willing to resign for $7-8/yr range, i would def. do it.

by 2010, we need a new face as our franchise player.

but les is a loyal owner. guys love him (see how many former players are hired by us). i wouldn't be surprised though. but not for teh max.

17. t_mac1

t_mac1 Contributing Member

he's not gonna get the max any longer.

18. engr_alex

engr_alex Member

they would probably re-sign him but not to a max contract. probably to a 10-12m 3yr contract. same for yao. they would need the cap space to bring a young gun in 2010. hopefully tmac agrees so that they could build a legacy and retire in houston. at his age, it wont help him to change teams and locations anymore.

19. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

I could maybe see Tracy getting an extension at about half his current salary, for a couple years; but Morey needs to work some more magic with the rest of the lineup, i.e., long-term solutions at PG and backup C.

20. Asian Sensation

Does Murphy know something we don't know? Is he a fortune teller? I sure hope so.... because the only way the Rockets will resign Mcgrady is if he gets us out of the first round. Even that might not be enough. I think its Conference finals at least or he's gone.