1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Calvin Murphy: Great Story and His Hall of Fame Jersey

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by BasketballMind, Jan 15, 2012.

1. BasketballMind

BasketballMind Contributing Member

I'm doing research right now to try to figure out exactly where to list it ... Its hard to find anything to compare it to because there just isn't anything out there like this. A Hall of Fame player basically has to sell it or give it away for someone other than them to have something like this.

That's why I put "Or best offer" ... I havnt listed it yet on Ebay, and I'm waiting to here from SCP Auctions where Julius Erving sold his memorabilia. As far as Clutchfans go, so far Deckard mentioned $800 ... And I'm keeping that in mind unless someone else offers more (On Clutchfans) ... In a few days, if we realize we wouldn't be able to get more, if would go to the highest bidder. Does that sound good?

2. BasketballMind

Thank you, and its ok ... I completely understand where you're coming from.

3. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Have you tried offering it for sale to a member of Murphy's family? They may be willing to pay a good price for their father's HOF framed jersey.

4. BasketballMind

Unless Calvin somehow sees this post, and wants to offer something of significance, I believe selling it back to him and/or his family is out of the question ... Two of his children that I knew growing up have passed, and I'm not sure if the relationship between him and the rest of his children (the older children who are adults now) have recovered. We havnt been in touch in years ... Calvin could buy it back, but I highly doubt he will ... We've been waiting to hear from him for personal reasons.

5. BasketballMind

FYI: I edited my original post, and it now includes what I witnessed happen, and inside information to why Horry ended up being traded ... Definitely one of the main reasons.

6. rock4ever

rock4ever Member

None of which you have proof of. The guy had a trial and WON, yet people like yourself refuse to give the man a break even when the judicial system declared him innocent. Says more about you than Calvin:rolleyes:

7. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

Anyone else find it funny that Calvin used the kid to score with his aunt? Typical Calvin. They probably got the Jersey to settle a paternity suit.

Either way. nice story and good luck.

8. BasketballMind

Lol, no he didn't use me, I introduced them ... Whether he intended on talking to her anyway I have no clue ... Probably so ... But he wouldn't have needed me to do that ... Talking is what he does ... Now he could have taken me in the locker room and on the court to meet Hakeem to impress her ... Ill take that lol ... And nope, no kids ... But thanks! I appreciate you reading.

9. Burko

Burko Member

Cool story Bro... No really, that's a cool story.

Probably the best day you can possibly have while keeping your clothes on.

1 person likes this.
  10. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Wow. Combine this with the towel-throwing incident in the following season, and Horry was really an entitled jerk for a few years there. Did he let his 1995 playoff heroics get to his head?

11. SK34

SK34 Member

Another cool story: Calvin Murphy's son goes to my school (its a small school mainly for education and not sports) and his son plays for our JV basketball team. When Calvin Murphy came to a game and saw our school play, he decided that he'll help the kids train because his son is there. So he is gonna start training our JV ans Varsity team in basketball. Also he starting coaching the jv team from the bleachers and did an amazing job, our team was down by 35 and because of his coaching we lost by 7. Otherwise it would have been by 70.

12. BasketballMind

Training and coaching are two things he is great at ... I've attended a lot of his camps growing up after Vancouver ... His mouth is the only reason he's not doing this in the NBA ... When he was a broadcaster for the Rockets he told me he would always get into it with Rudy T ... Go back and forth with him all the time on subs and plays ... Because of that He didn't have a good relationship with Les Alexander ... It got to the point where the players respected Calvin more than Rudy ... Sam Cassell became a great mid range (stop and pop) shooter mainly because of Calvin (think about it) ... Calvin was right 90% of the time ... Its not what he was doing, its how he was doing it ... The accusations in his personal life were Alexanders excuse to let him go.

13. BasketballMind

Yes I believe so ... I remember Calving saying that Horry felt like since he was proving he can hit shots in the clutch, he should get more touches so the game wouldn't get to the point where he had to be clutch. Lol

When you're young, winning ... And people constantly in your ear saying "if it weren't for you" ... Agent, friends, family ... It took a toll on him ... And others ... It was disrupting the chmistry ... Rockets were losing games they should have won.

I remember being at the first home game the following season fresh off their second championship ... New jerseys ... Watching atleast 4 turnovers by Horry trying to throw fancy behind the back passes ... Way off his game ... They definitely took those championships to the head.