1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Calvin in studio on 610 right now

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Faos, Feb 1, 2005.

Tags:
  1. Faos

Faos Contributing Member

I'm not sure if he's taking calls or not.

2. benzman501

benzman501 Member

he sounds really good and john and lance are pushing the trial and hes talking about it

3. bushwickbillyd

bushwickbillyd Contributing Member

I hope they bring Calvin back.....sorry if you feel different.

4. mogrod

mogrod Contributing Member

I think I missed some of it, but he has been very candid about the Rockets. It's great to hear the thoughts of Calvin's knowledge talk about the team.

- He said Yao is very capable of putting up 22-24 pts/game if his teammates would look for him more.

- Doesn't mind using Yao in screen and rolls, but he feels they should be foul line in so Yao is closer to the basket.

- Said Taylor has the capabilities to be a very good inside presence next to Yao. He said a coach needs to tell him that he HAS to be that type of guy instead of being the player he is and, if he doesn't do it, then you deal with it. (Maybe this has laready happened with his IR visit for three weeks)

- He has always loved Sura's game and feels he has brought the toughness the Rockets have been lacking for a long time

- Has always liked Barry ever since he was Calvin's ball by and used to thump him in the back of the head

- Thought Wesley was a good pickup as well

- Likes Barret (says he always like the little quick guards) and the fact that Strickland is playing ahead of him is coach's call but JVG has always gone for more of the tough PG instead of the finess.

- Padgett has found a role on he team as the finisher. Says you can have all the great passing you want but, if you don't have someone that can put the ball in the basket and also makes the defense respect this fact night in and night out, it's all for not.

This is as much as I heard, so maybe someone can fill in the rest.

5. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Didn't really say anything about the trial other than he was innocent and it was a painful ordeal.

While pimping his basketball "school" said some interesting things about how kids are learning basketball in this country.

Loves Yao, doesn't think the team does a good enough job of getting him them ball when he is fronted. Thinks the team should continue to run.

He said he understood Steve's initial reaction to he and Cuttino being broken up because he also had a close relationship with Rudy and said his game suffered a little when Rudy went down to "The Punch". Did say Steve probably could have said it differently.

Thinks the Rockets could contend if they get to the playoffs and doesn't think Minnesota will get to the playoffs.

6. Gummi Clutch

Gummi Clutch Contributing Member

If 610 was smart they would give Calvin a weekly spot like Bull used to have.
    It is really refreshing hearing him on the radio and all the fans seem to be expressing the same on their phone calls.

Chance, if your reading this, get them to lock this guy into a weekly spot now and give him an outlet.

I cant wait until Calvin comes back next year.

7. Faos

Faos Contributing Member

Because guys like me who DON'T want him back don't call.

Long Live Van!

8. Rockets2K

Rockets2K Clutch Crew

man...this has been great....

its the most I have heard the Rockets discussed on 610 in ages...

Calvin being on air just reminds me of how much I miss hearing him on the Rockets broadcasts. :(

Here's to hoping he will be back next year....wait....when does the Comets season start?

Van will have to start dealing with the Comets soon right??

Maybe once he has to devote more time to the Comets, Calvin is the logical choice to replace him since he was cleared of all charges...

right??
    right??

someone tell me Im right..;)

9. Willis25

Willis25 Contributing Member

I think they would, but it would require some $$$ (like Academy sponors a show or two for the Texans) - I seriously doubt calvin will do a show like this for free

I think Bull does it because he wants to get into broadcasting, so the more "air"time he gets the better

10. sjackson0

sjackson0 Contributing Member

troll...

(Did I type that outloud?)

11. shawn786

shawn786 Member

You are RIGHT! :cool:

Well i hope you are...

12. Chilly_Pete

Chilly_Pete Contributing Member

I thought someone said that Matt Bullard was going to replace Van when he started coaching the Comets. I think Calvin wanted to take the rest of the year off after all that happened. But that he would be back next season.

13. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Why do you always start threads about people you don't like?

14. Rockets2K

Rockets2K Clutch Crew

I thought I had heard a mention of that also.....but Calvin sounded like he really misses doing the games....I think if the Rockets asked him if he was ready to come back.....he would in a second....he laughed about how hard it was being quiet for 11 months up to until the trial ended...

one way or the other...I look forward to the day when Calvin comes back.....dont get me wrong....I like Van...I really do...his knowledge of the game is great to listen to....his accent is kinda weird...but no biggy...I can deal with that if he knows his stuff...and he does...but I really miss the interplay between Calvin and Bill...I miss Calvin's unabashed enthusiasm and love for the team...

He is one of the original Rocketmen...and will always have a place in my heart..

15. codell

codell Contributing Member

I wouldn't say I don't want him back.

But I think much less of him as a person, and a father, after the trial ended.

16. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Codell,

you really seem like a nice guy but you have got to be one of the most judgemental posters on this site when it comes to these guys' personal lives. They only get paid to entertain.

17. Rockets2K

Rockets2K Clutch Crew

I dont agree...

If he said that he didnt want him back because of what he got from Calvins personal life....IMO, that would make him judgemental as you speak of it....

as it is...it seems like codell is just stating that his level of respect for Calvin as a person has diminshed because of things that came out.

everyone has a right to personal feelings about a person...famous or otherwise, without being deemed judgemental in a bad way.

and you are right..he is a nice guy IRL...much nicer than I am for sure... :p

18. Gummi Clutch

Gummi Clutch Contributing Member

Yep, but now that he left, immediately no more calls, and back to talk about the L'Astros and Dave Ragone :(

I wonder if contract technicalities would prevent "the enemy" from ponying up the $$$???

BTW, Calvin is a lot kinder and gentler a person, not to mention a great contributor to our society, than some people I know who claim to be so "righteous" :rolleyes:

"Let he with out sin cast the first stone"

19. codell

codell Contributing Member

pg,

A sports athletes personal life is always on display, no matter how much you disagree with it. Thats why some are considered heros and some are not. Thats why some are easier to root for than others. Thats why some lose their jobs and some don't.

Judgement of a player's personal matters is hardly something that is unique to me or anyone else.

And R2K nailed. I would welcome Calvin back. If the Rockets decide he shouldn't come back, then I would understand where they are coming from.

Either way, I would still think less of a Calvin (maybe being a father changes one's perspective on the situation).

20. across110thstreet

across110thstreet Contributing Member

the man was accused, tried, and acquitted...

he has been proven innocent,give the man his job back.

to me it is as simple as that.