1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Calling all Canadians

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Pole, Nov 12, 1999.

1. Pole

Pole Houston Rockets--Tilman Fertitta's latest mess.

I'm thinking of tying the knot next year, and I'm thinking of a Canadian honeymoon--specifically Banff. Any comments; suggestions as to places to go; things to see.

2. Azim da Dream

Azim da Dream Member

Wow, thats really freaking amazing that out of all the places your thinking Banff. That happens to be just a 45 minute-to-1 hour drive from the place where I was born and raised, and where I still consider my true home - the awesome city of Calgary, Alberta.

I don't think you could have picked a more suitable place for your honeymoon than picturesque Banff. The scenery is incomparable, you are within minutes from a lively, bustling city, yet you are surrounded by surreal tranquility and the ultimate privacy. I don't know what time of year you plan on taking the lady, but if you happen to go anytime between November and April, you should definately try the slopes, whether you've never skied in your lifetime or your a pro. Banff National Park has some of the best skiing this side of the Swiss Alps (Whistler and Aspen are right up there as well), and skiing definately isn't a sport you have to be great at to enjoy. If your not the skiing type, hiking trails are in abundance as well as some extraordinary bike and walking trails winding along scenery that is out of this world. Places around the Banff that are must see's include; Lake Louise, Johnston Canyon, Peyto Lake, the Sulpher Fountains and the Gondola Rides. Even if your not the outdoor type you can enjoy all that the Canadian Rockies have to offer. You can relax at the comfortable Banff Springs Hotel or the Chateux Lake Louise (or many other more affordable accomadations), you can just drive around and see where the road will take you, or you can shop along Banff's main avenue and eat at one its soothing restaurants and eateries after a day of hiking or exloring.

If you visit Alberta in July, you should definately go to the popular Calgary Stampede. THe whole city gets into the tradition, with everyone wearing cowboy-attire and festivals, rides and rodeo's happening all around the place. Most probably your going to fly to Banff (its about 3,000 m from Houston), so you'll have to go through Calgary to get there. Calgary itself is worth another trip, but if you have the time, you should check out the site of the '88 Olympic Games as well as the numerous shopping and eating areas around the city.

Man, it feels like I just wrote the text for a brochure, but the Banff area truly is amazing and it would be a damn shame if I didn't give you a good scoop on the place. THough I know I'm missing a lot still.

So have fun and good luck, Pole.

Azim da Dream

3. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

Have you considered Cleveland?? Is there anything more romantic than looking at the reflection of the river on fire in your lover's eyes??

I applaud Azim for working the word "soothing" into that last post. I've just never heard it used to describe a dining establishment. You the man!!!

4. DocRiverPhoenixSunScreen@

Pole,

whatever happened to this trip you were planning? Have you gone or made a plann yet?
    Just curious.

5. Pole

Pole Houston Rockets--Tilman Fertitta's latest mess.

Holy Cow!!! This thread is eight months old!

Doc, people are gonna think you are me trying to revive an old thread.

My fiance and I are still on. We are going to Tahoe next weekend to privately exchange vows and wedding rings; we will then be "officially" married in the Catholic church on September 2nd of this year. After the ceremony, we'll fly to Seattle, drive to Vancouver and spend three days there, then to Salmon Run for an evening, then to Banff for two nights, then to Overton Lakes for a day, and then finally about 8 days exploring Glacier, Yellowstone, and Grand Teton National Parks. Needless to say, I'm looking forward to it---and I'm DAMN ready to get the wedding festivities over with and start on my marriage.

------------------
    stop posting my damn signature

6. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Pole,

My hearty congrats.

I wish I was in your shoes.

Not that I'm in love with your fiance, I mean with my significant other.

Oh crap!

[​IMG]

------------------
    "Go to hell Costas"-Dave Nelson after sweeping the ABSCAs on NewsRadio

visit www.swirve.com

7. DocRiverPhoenixSunScreen@

Sounds like an awesome trip Pole. You should have an awesome time with your fiance. You seem like a pretty romantic guy.

And don't worry, I'm sure everyone knows that your not cheap enough to revive your own thread!

[This message has been edited by DocRiverPhoenixSunScreen@ (edited June 24, 2000).]

8. Achebe

Achebe Contributing Member

Pole,

congrats.

p.s. the best book to read during your trip through Banff, Glacier, Yellowstone, and Grand Teton National Parks... would have to be:

'Bear Attacks: Their Causes and Avoidance'.

I read it last summer in Yellowstone, it was a hoot. Most of the stories were about Banff and the canuck tendency until the mid 80s to still have garbage pits in the middle of national parks.

We were lucky enough to see two grizzlies (in Yellowstone). One at Grizzly Lake and the other at Yellowstone Lake/Lodge. The funniest thing ever was hiking this 12 mile trail after having seen both of the bears, and coming across mammoth foot prints, and downed trees.

Have fun!

------------------
    get it Tag, get it! - a Jazzhole asking Greg Ostertag to rebound the ball.