1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

California is Burning

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by rocketsjudoka, Oct 10, 2017.

1. GIGO

GIGO Member

for anyone who'd like to know what happened to her and co. next

Harrisment, Amiga and KingCheetah like this.
  2. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

I come back to Clutchfans like once a week and count how many threads I opened before seeing the dumbest take. You're lucky I opened The Goldbergs thread first.

3. PhiSlammaJamma

You're lack of compassion for the people of California is disturbing. I get it. You're poor. It's all about the Goldbergs and what is on TV. This is about people's lives going up in flames. People are losing their homes. Get a clue.

4. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

The Woolsey Fire in SoCal is both typical because of the Santa Ana winds pushing the fire downslope to the coast and atypical because of the absolute lack of any fall moisture.

The Camp Fire, man, that’s a tough one. The Feather River Canyon is spectacular, but has always been a concern. In 2008, I was on a tricky fire at the top of the canyon and we were determined to not get spotting downslope. This one started at the bottom and was wind-driven through a bunch of heavily cut-over private timber lands. The winds countered topography to some degree and the fire stayed at a lower elevation because the fire had a definite lateral spread that prevented it from really cranking upslope through the canyons to the heavy fuels on the national forest. Of course, it’s November.

Climate Change is here people. I’ve been living it for a couple of decades and now others are too. Or dying.

alethios, Joshfast, Amiga and 3 others like this.
  5. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Thanks, rimrocker. I'm reading there are still about 200 people "missing" in the Camp Fire. God bless.

6. across110thstreet

across110thstreet Contributing Member

Both instances (fires this year and same time last year) have our commander in chief showing his incompetence on an entirely new level.

FEDERAL land is burning

Buck Turgidson likes this.
  7. B-Bob

Well, speaking as a California resident, I kind of don't even want to acknowledge POTUS in all this. It would be nice if just one event, positive or negative, wasn't about him. This is most definitely not about him, so maybe we could all just ignore him. It breaks my heart to have firefighters having to respond to his tweets.

Reporters really could ignore him in this case. They can still get clicks and ratings because, you know, lots of things are on fire.

8. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

I don't think it's bizarre because this has become the new abnormal.

9. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Air quality for MNF is poor -- strange they wouldn't move the game.

10. KingCheetah

This is what I picture rolling through Paradise, California.

Houstunna likes this.
  11. B-Bob

I hear you, but the gesture they made to the Paradise football team was pretty cool. The coach said the main reaction the players had was that "they slept" on the bus to the game. 90% of the players and cheerleaders have lost their family homes.

12. Harrisment

Harrisment Member

Damn. That’s heartbreaking.

13. KingCheetah

14. PhiSlammaJamma

In all these videos, the roads seem to be just fine. Maybe the answer is more roads. Solving two major problems in California.

15. B-Bob

Major NoCal fire started near utility work on a high voltage line, according to local reporting out here. PG&E stocks plunged yesterday.

ryan_98 likes this.
  16. rimrocker

On the Camp Fire, the fuel moistures and humidities were so low they created fire conditions that were literally off the chart for this time of year. There is no precedent. Nothing even close.

A lot of folks are looking at jet stream patterns, which should have brought lots of Pacific moisture to the NW and NorCal by now but has been parked further north. Erratic jet streams are a huge sign of climate change and they have been evident in the Pacific NW since at least 2014. That pattern also helped create the disparate temps that led to the wind.

The good news is we don’t expect the traditional jet stream pattern to establish much this winter which will lead to a nice, warm winter in the Pacific NW. And probably a really tough 2019 fire year.

Oh, and Texas... don’t get too smug. There will be more 2011’s soon enough.

By the way, the world is on pace to push a record number of greenhouse gas emissions into the atmosphere this year.

I’m officially retired, but will get called to fires and other incidents until the day I die. Maybe I should charge more?

17. rimrocker

This pattern is not unique to California.

[​IMG]

Mathloom likes this.
  18. rimrocker

Again, the indices are off the charts where the Camp Fire burned.

[​IMG]

Houstunna and Mathloom like this.
  19. omgTHEpotential

That's a crazy video. Who are those people outside the cars?

20. KingCheetah

I'd say there are a number of hot spots ready to go up like Bastrop, but Austin particularly West Lake Hills is going to be a disaster one day. Decades and decades of unchecked cedar growth and all those hills and valleys seems like a perfect storm. That can probably be said about most of central Texas though.