1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Cabby's Playoff Notes.

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by thacabbage, May 1, 2000.

1. thacabbage

thacabbage Contributing Member

<h1>Cabby's Playoff Notes</h1>

I've been playing close attention to this year's playoffs, while in years past I would usually just focus on the Rockets series'. I've found some things that stand out so far:
    • Kobe Bryant has come of age. I still don't like him, but I have to agree he will be tough to beat. Name one player who can combine athleticism, ball handling, defense, slashing, and shooting into a total package. Although, it does help having Shaq on your team (to funnel the defense) [​IMG].
    • Doug, you're a good analyst, don't let Bob influence you. Yesterday's Lakers-Kings game was close to unbearable. "What a tough shot by Kobe Bryant."..."Wow, is he something else or what?" The game guys, focus on the game.
    • Jason Williams sucks. I've said it ever since he came out, and I'll continue saying it. It's no coincidence the Kings made their run with him on the bench. That no-look, behind the back, bsh*t is getting old.
    • David Robinson, back from the dead. It'll be a shame of the Spurs don't get to defend that title.
    • I still believe in the Timberwolves. Just one more loss, and I believe the Blazers will implode and start pointing fingers. KG's been racking up the triple doubles, but he needs to pull a Tim Duncan and go for 40. He has the ability to control the game.
    • Until June 20th, I'm a Knick fan. There isn't a more balanced team in the NBA. They play great defense, have tough big men, and a solid perimeter. The highly criticized Childs/Ward tandem continues to get the job done, and the developing chemistry between Sprewell-Houston is a thing of beauty. Ewing and Camby are healthy, and I think the Knicks have the best shot of anyone to beat the Lakers. Their ability to zero in on one guy and completely shut him down (Carter) will prove vital if they meet Philly in the Conf. Finals or Bryant in the Finals. Oh yea, we've already gotten to see the "LJ" sign twice in the first round. Gotta love it.
    • Broken toe, fractured ankle, highly inflamed shooting elbow, and torn rotator cuff. Not a damn word about it either. Hmmm...how many games did Cato miss with that twisted ankle?
    • Heat-Knicks in the semis will be war.
    • Don't break it up, George. All the Bucks need is an interior defensive presence and they could mean business. That Allen-Cassell-Thomas-Big Dogg combo is deadly. Look for Thomas to slide into that starter's role next season, with Big Dogg shipped for frontcourt help.

------------------
    thacabbage: Proud President and Founder of the Theo Ratliff Fan Club.

[This message has been edited by thacabbage (edited May 01, 2000).]

2. sid

sid Member

Couldn't agree more, especially about Jason Williams. Don't they know 'White Chocolate' starts to melt when the heat starts to rise? After the Kings get knocked out of the first round next year, I really hope CWebb comes knocking at Houston's door. His play this year deserves better.

------------------

3. sir scarvajal

sir scarvajal Member

CabMan, I agree with a bunch of your points.

I agree about the Knicks, I still think they --perhaps of all teams--have the best chance against the Lakers. In the east, I was thinking they were very unlucky with the draw, that they may have trouble with Carter/McGrady athleticsm plus the big bodies of Willis, Oakley & Davis. Of course they didn't have much trouble with the Raptors at all. In terms of Knicks/Lakers match-ups, Knicks do OK. Kobe can only guard Spree or Houston, where as both of them can share playing Kobe. As much as Ewing seems old, he is one of the bigger and stronger centers, and has veteran smarts, and veteran respect with the stripes--you could do a lot worse against Shaq. The Knicks also have a fair amount of other big bodies to help on Shaq (Camby, Dudley, Thomas, is lLang on the playoff roster too??) and guys like Ward/Childs and Spree can double down in a hurry. No I don't think the Knicks will beat the Lakers, but I like their chances as much as anyone. As far as the other east teams, Indiana (I still believe not having Antonio will huant them in the playoffs) and Miami would have zero chance against the Lakers because of match-ups, though I suspect the Knicks will be there anyway unless Miami can out thugg them next round.

On a different note--if it wasn't obvious by the insanely skilled waves of front lines the West through at the east this year in the All-star game, it is just more apparent the West has the qaulity and quantity of teams/stars. Toronto, Milw or Detriot all wouldn't have made it to the West playoffs, the 4/5 East teams would have been fighting for the 7/8 spot in the West. There just aren't guys like KG, Malone and Webber circling in East, let alone a Shaq or a Duncan. These are the kinds of guys that are needed to raise most most teams.

------------------