1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Bye, bye Jason Lane

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by ryan17wagner, Jun 3, 2007.

1. ryan17wagner

ryan17wagner Member

HOUSTON -- Following their 8-6 loss to the Cardinals on Sunday, the Astros announced that they sent outfielder Jason Lane to Triple-A Round Rock and recalled outfielder/infielder Chris Burke from Round Rock.
    Burke, 27, will be in uniform for the Astros' opener in Colorado on Tuesday.

Lane, 30, was hitting .165 (13-for-79) in mostly a bench role this year. He had four homers and 10 RBIs. Burke was hitting .250 (16-for-64) for the Express at the time of his recall. In his last 10 games, he was hitting .308 (12-for-39).

Burke will assume Lane's role, platooning with Luke Scott in right field. He'll also make spot starts at second and will be considered at shortstop as well.

http://houston.astros.mlb.com/news/...t_id=2003417&vkey=news_hou&fext=.jsp&c_id=hou

2. BrieflySpeaking

BrieflySpeaking Contributing Member

even my 5yr old sister knew this was the call to make

#2 BrieflySpeaking, Jun 3, 2007
    Last edited: Jun 3, 2007
  3. rikesh316

rikesh316 Member

Next move should be to get rid of Moehler, Palmerio, and Quintero.

4. ballaboy

ballaboy Member

No, those should be done after firing Garner.

5. Jared Novak

Jared Novak Contributing Member

6. AggieRocketFan96

I'm amazed it took this long. Jason Lane has been horrible for a long time. But not nearly as long as Ausmus and Everett. Astros are in the cellar primarily because they carry way too many mediocre offensive players. At least Burke will hit over .200 hahaha.

7. Stack24

Stack24 Contributing Member

Back where he belongs...lifetime minor leaguer with supposidly all this potential....i would be surprised if i ever saw him back in an Astros Uniform.

8. rikesh316

rikesh316 Member

He will be gone after the season.

9. Howyalikemenow

Ya know I've always wanted him to be gone. But it was pretty sad when they showed him on the news earlier, asking him what he thought...

(paraphrased) He mentioned that he asked what his options were after he found out and they told him that there wasn't anybody out their wanting him. He said it was tough...

10. Refman

Refman Contributing Member

To get who exactly?

Just because you fire Garner will not make Berkman hit over .240 or .235 for Ensberg.

So many players are underperforming right now that it boggles the mind. Bobby Cox couldn't win with this many players underperforming.

11. Hmm

Hmm Member

Lane appeared near tears on his interview..

"I busted my butt here" - Lane

apparently .165 BA was as best as he could do..

12. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

That's amazing. I know it's got to be tough bouncing back and forth, especially when you've been a regular starter at points, but when you are batting .165 and you don't have a track record that shows you're that good of a hitter, it can't be too surprising.

13. ryan17wagner

ryan17wagner Member

I have yet to break the news to Texanskan. He's a die hard Jason Lane fan, he even has his jersey. No, not his #16 jersey, his old school #24 jersey before the Astros retired it as Jimmy Wynn's number.

14. thewaterox

thewaterox Contributing Member

Same thing was said about firing JVG: "The players missed open shots etc...."

We all know how that ended. Drayton just spent a ton of cash on Lee and the Astros stink. Sorry but Garner's going to take the heat.

15. Bobblehead

Bobblehead Contributing Member

16. DOMINATOR

DOMINATOR Member

no, bobby would find ways to make players perform.

17. weslinder

weslinder Contributing Member

AAAA Player. How it took the Astros this long to see that is beyond me.

18. BMoney

BMoney Contributing Member

I feel for the guy, but he was exposed as a guy with a hole in his swing and never was able re-adjust to the league.

19. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

I remember when they had a press conference to announce that Hunsicker was going to step down as GM, and Tim Purpura was going to be named GM, GH called Tim Purpura his Jason Lane because Tim was always there waiting in the wings to be called up.

If only that analogy stayed true, maybe quadruple chin could join quadruple A player.

20. VesceySux

VesceySux Contributing Member

I feel bad for Lane, but honestly, this should have been done a LOOOOOONG time ago. And I agree with Stack: We've probably seen the last of Jason Lane as an Astro.