1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Buyout was worth about $3 million, Bulls waived Jay Williams

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by LegendZ3, Feb 18, 2004.

1. LegendZ3

LegendZ3 Contributing Member

Tuesday, February 17, 2004

Associated Press
    CHICAGO -- The Chicago Bulls waived guard Jay Williams on Tuesday, two weeks after reaching a contract buyout with the guard whose career is in jeopardy following a motorcycle accident.

NBA rules require a player to be put on waivers after a team and the player make a settlement on their contract.

The buyout was worth about $3 million. Williams had two more years worth about $7.7 million left on his original deal.

"Jay's accident was tragic and unfortunate. We look forward to watching the progress of Jay's rehabilitation and remain hopeful he can someday rejoin our team. But at the same time this allows us roster flexibility as we move forward," Bulls general manager John Paxson said.

Williams was riding a new motorcycle last June 19 when the bike got away from him and slammed into a utility pole.

He severed a main nerve in his leg, fractured his pelvis and tore three of the four main ligaments in his left knee. He spent two weeks at a Chicago hospital before being transferred to Duke University Medical Center, where he has been rehabbing.

Williams, 22, led Duke to the national championship in 2001. He was drafted in the first round a year later by the Bulls with great expectations. He had his ups and downs as a rookie, before finally losing his starting spot. He averaged 9.5 points and 4.7 assists in 75 games as a rookie.

2. LegendZ3

LegendZ3 Contributing Member

3. zhaozhilong

zhaozhilong Member

Invest smartly and he is still going to live comfortably for the rest of his life.

4. PhiSlammaJamma

At the All star game he said he was still working with the Bulls and remains committed to them should he be come back.

5. F.D. Khan

F.D. Khan Contributing Member

Though I despise the Bulls, that 3 million was a handout. The guys contract specifically states not motorcycles.

They could've waived him for nothing. Figure he mad a 2-3 million his first year and now gets 3 million.

Meaning after agent fees and tax he's down to about 3 million in assets plus his advertisements etc.

Sad story. Of course if my career was based upon my physical health I would probably never, ever ride a motorcycle.

6. disney

disney Member

what a poor guy!He would have had a bright expectation.Its a grave misfortune to a bb player.Its also a lesson to all players in the league!

7. OverRRated

OverRRated Member

bleh......a grave misfortune would be a mother and her young kids being mugged while having a family day at the park.
    This dumbass thought it was Torque on the set of Biker Boys racing Vin Diesel.

fvck giving him $3 million, I would have probably sued his dumb@ss.

8. yipengzhao

yipengzhao Contributing Member

yeah and i remember everybody was like "yao over jay williams is the biggest mistake ever." wow... if the rockets had pick jay williams it would have been a disaster.

9. KellyDwyer

KellyDwyer Contributing Member

Is the corner of Honore and Fletcher dangerous to drive motorcycles on in Houston too?

10. PhiSlammaJamma

Don't forget Yao had an accident in the parking lot when he was first learning how to drive. You just never know.

11. pariah

pariah Contributing Member

But I recall that the Rickshaw wasn't damage and both Steve and CAT weren't injured by Yao's recklessness. :D If I remember it correctly, it took Colin a few minutes to catch up with them as he was having to run behind, given that Cat and Steve wouldn't let him ride with them.

Sorry, I couldn't resist - Yao being a rookie and all and the hazing by the veterans.

12. Monique

Monique Member

everything related to jay will ..people like u always brings back
    the draft....is it a vindication to you that Yao proved the naysayer wrong by this horribles accident that happened to Jay?

i hope jay does c*m back he's a good guy with great talent.

13. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

I'll never understand reactions like this. Why do you care either way, its not coming out of your pocket.

14. RIET

RIET Contributing Member

Actually it is. Indirectly through advertising and at the ticket office.

If you void your contract, you should be terminated.

It is the same as corporations that hand out astronimical severence packages to unworthy CEO's who have destroyed the company with their mismanagement.

Who pays? Stockholders.

Someone always has to foot the bill.

15. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Oh, I didn't know you attended so many Bulls games.
    And technically, this isn't an astronomical severance package, its already less than what they had him slotted for in the budget.

16. RIET

RIET Contributing Member

Every NBA contract has ramifications regardles of what team you support.

The pork is unbelievable and partially explains why only corporate can afford good seats.

It doesn't matter if it's Jay Williams or Jeff Kent "hurting his wrist washing his truck". Williams violated a key component of his contract which prevented him from fulfilling his duties as agreed upon.

He should have received $0 as should Vin Baker.

I have no idea why people justify these type of thing as "why should we care". It's this type of indifference that increases the cost for the average consumer and is prevalent in every aspect of our daily lives.

Most people have at-will employment arrangements. When you actually have a contract and violate an important clause in the contract, your employer has the right to terminate you.

The Bulls gave him the $ as a gesture of goodwill. Litigating it through the Player's Union would be more cost prohibitive than just giving him the money.

He intentionally violated his contract and consequently could not perform his duties. It's pretty clear and dry he deserved nothing.

17. OverRRated

OverRRated Member

I can care less.
    I just disagree with anyone saying it's some kind of misfortune.
    It was in his contract.
    The misfortune would have been if he lost his life, not that he was cut from a basketball team.
    Again......what a dumb@ss.

18. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

I don't care either way. I just don't think its that big of a deal. It was a nice gesture.

19. room4rentsf

room4rentsf Contributing Member

it was a nice gesture.. very generous of them.. I think thats one of the things a team/ organization can do that builds respect and loyalty.

J

20. giddyup

giddyup Contributing Member

Can anyone say Charlotte Bobcats?