1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Buy or Sell: NBA Trade Deadline Rockets

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Stormy1234, Jan 7, 2018.

1. Stormy1234

Stormy1234 Member

https://www.theringer.com/platform/...sell-trade-deadline?__twitter_impression=true

Houston Rockets: Sell
    O’Shaughnessy: The Rockets’ MVP-candidate ball handler is out for a minimum of two weeks with a hamstring injury, but Houston still has the firepower to temporarily manage without him
    GM Daryl Morey shouldn’t make a trade in haste, unless James Harden is out for a lengthier amount of time. Chris Paul, though plagued by injuries of his own this season, can still provide All-Star-level replacement; Eric Gordon was named the best bench player last season and can handle the ball just fine. The main reason Houston is a seller is because it is often a seller under Morey. Dealing Ryan Anderson to one of the well-to-do teams mentioned on this list would alleviate the Rockets’ tight budget, and potentially put them in better position going into 2018 free agency.

2. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

Man, that's dumb. As much as I hate Ryan Anderson, you can't dump him just to dump him mid-season. Not without finding someone who can contribute and replace his minutes. The Rockets are still the 2 seed in the West and aiming to reach at least the Western Conference finals. They can't be dumping players just to dump salary when you have goals like that.

3. mdoggnic

mdoggnic Contributing Member

Id have no problem starting PJ Tucker in Anderson’s place and going with Mbah A Moute and Tarik Black playing the backup 3/4 depending on matchups. I think we should be buyers but if you can sell Andersons contract I say go for it.

MarioKissoDeath likes this.
  4. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

we need someone who can score more than 5pts and not be a negative 20 in 20 minutes

MarioKissoDeath likes this.
  5. Merla08

Merla08 Member

If you can dump Ryan Anderson now, you do it asap. He's the reason we don't have Melo this season and I don't want him to be the reason we miss out on another Super Star next summer.

6. D-rock

D-rock Member

Let's go get Nerlens Noel.

7. Firebomb525

Firebomb525 Member

Nikola Mirotic, anybody?

8. elmotsangtt

elmotsangtt Member

Lets MDA to choose. If he choose he will use that guy

Mazulis likes this.
  9. RestHarden

RestHarden Member

Obviously selling Ryan Anderson would be a goal . . . but you won't be able to do it as we've already found out.

Ryan Anderson isn't that bad a player . . . we just have a coach who refuses to play him. Makes zero sense to play him such low minutes when Moute is out.

D'Antoni keeps doing this major minutes fluctuation thing based on matchups. It's just annoying and completely unnecessary. Play the same people regardless of the matchup and let them build chemistry. I said it the other day the guy's an imbecile. Apart from yelling at referees and doing strange lineup rotations I don't know what he actually does.

10. BigggReddd

BigggReddd Member

Mirotic has to be the obvious goal. He's disgruntled and Ryno's poor shooting in red arenas will sure solidify a Bulls top 5 pick.

amaru and RocketsTerps like this.
  11. RocketsTerps

RocketsTerps Member

amaru likes this.
  12. fattz

fattz Member

What would we be trading him for? It’s not like we can just amnesty him into thin air. His return would have to fill needs and be accepted by coach before we just snap our fingers and be gone with him.

13. J.R.

J.R. Member

Woj:
    The Bulls are still planning to trade forward Nikola Mirotic, which can't happen until Jan. 15 or without his permission, based on his contract. Mirotic has been intrigued with the Utah Jazz, whose coach, Quin Snyder, has a reputation of maximizing offensive talent.​

amaru and Vivi like this.
  14. OTMax

OTMax Member

Morey is not focused on this year so we’re not going to do much. I’d love Mirotic over Ryan, but won’t happen.

amaru likes this.
  15. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

I don't know - if anyone could absorb Anderson's contract, it would be the Bulls. Mirotic has 2 years left on his deal and makes a little less than Ryno but clearly the Bulls need to resolve the lingering Portis/Mirotic animosity and are dead set on trading the older/more expensive player - Mirotic. That means it's a fire sale and it's going to come down to a bidding war of what teams are willing to part with to get Mirotic(probably not a ton). If Houston were to propose a Ryno for Mirotic, they would probably also have to include some future draft picks and/or younger players(of which we have none). That's probably not going to be enough to get him, but if no one is buying we got a chance at least....BUT - the other problem here is the Bulls have an $11 million exception for the Jimmy Butler deal meaning they will likely be sniffing the market to bring back higher salaried players than who may bring baggage, but have some upside. Think Blake Griffin, Marc Gasol, Deandre Jordan, etc. A Mirotic+pick(quite valuable)+some young player from their roster might make the Clippers rethink their core for instance. Memphis is stuck in no man's land with two stars on the roster - maybe they listen to trade talks...so I guess what I'm saying is Houston will likely try to make a play for Mirotic but unless a lot of other things fall in place for us(mostly that the market for Mirotic softens, or that Chicago wants to build from the draft rather than trade), you are right that it's probably not going to happen.

16. steveng125

steveng125 Member

Ryan Anderson for Julius randel would you do it?

amaru likes this.
  17. J.R.

J.R. Member

Lakers would not do it.

amaru and Vivi like this.
  18. steveng125

steveng125 Member

I just saw randle on trading block, figured they might need a 3 point shooter. I think Anderson will fit well with the Lakers, if they were interested

19. J.R.

J.R. Member

They're looking to shed salary and no way they take on Anderson while also having Luol Deng.

Anderson for Randle swap wouldn't work anyway. Lakers would need to add salary.

Saw another poster mention Deng, Clarkson & Randle for Anderson & Ariza. Still don't know if they'd do that & I'm not sure I'd do it.

You swap one terrible contract for another (Deng/Anderson)
    You lose BFF Ariza (not that I'd necessarily mind but Chris/James might)
    Julius Randle will be a RFA (pay or lose)
    So I get Jordan Clarkson? (2 years remaining after this year)

Luol Deng:
    2017-18: $17,190,000
    2018-19: $18,000,000
    2019-20: $18,810,000

Jordan Clarkson:
    2017-18: $11,562,500
    2018-19: $12,500,000
    2019-20: $13,437,500

Julius Randle:
    2017-18: $4,149,242
    2018-19: $5,564,134 (Qualifying offer)

Ryan Anderson:
    2017-18: $19,578,455
    2018-19: $20,421,546
    2019-20: $21,264,635

Trevor Ariza:
    2017-18: $7,420,912

topfive and amaru like this.
  20. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Morey will obviously look for a trade. He always does. Any trade will depend in part on whether he yields Trevor Ariza's expiring salary. He usually has no attachments to non-star players, but Trevor is pretty tight with CP3 and The Beard (they even starred in a commercial together ;) ).

I would love a way around this $20,000,000 albatross of a contract with Ryan Anderson. I don't know if it's his mental or physical. He was gangbusters until a few weeks ago and then he fell off a cliff. Look for the buzzards wheeling overhead in the bright blue sky, then look down; that crumpled corpse at the bottom of the canyon is him.

I like the guy but good God, there are a couple close losses we could have turned to W's if Ryno had just made a little more of a positive contribution.

amaru likes this.